Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
The HAM Radio Board / Re: Please cancel your ARRL membership (???)
« Last post by Cedar on Today at 02:55:58 PM »
Tape measure? PVC pipe? See thats what I am talking about!! +1fire department guy!

Cedar
Passe? Right, you people are nuts. Now get off my lawn.  :)

Food Storage / Re: Beans 6 years later
« Last post by Stwood on Today at 02:12:27 PM »
Hmm, looks like pre soak, change water, cook briefly, jar and process. But I need new glasses so I might be mistaken.

New glasses? I thought old buzzards had hawk eyes.  :spit:

Hey I printed that article out. Thanks  ;D
I don't "invest" in guns. They're bulky and the safe is pretty full anyway. But I've never lost money on a gun.

I do know one guy who buys surplus by the case. Stuffs them in the basement cosmolene and all. I *think* he's got about 20 cases (6 rifles per case I think) of Mosin Nagants he bought when they were ~$70 per rifle. Oddly, he doesn't really shoot and isn't into guns. He works at a hedge fund and saw the surplus pattern of a flooded market that eventually dries up. And yes, he's praying in Hebrew the government ditches the AR and somehow floods the market. But he's a nutso mathematician (says I  :o) who really gets deep into opportunities. Surplus rifles always go up in price.

Military rifles are a strange phenomenon. There have literally been hundreds of them in the modern era. And I still prefer a pump shotgun for home defense. I mean, who really has a Lee-Enfield behind the headboard? Or a BAR? Will the AR/AK suffer the same fate? Other than the few that get repurposed for hunting/sporting (thinking of Mausers specifically) they are pretty much regarded as passe tech. ANd unless they're beloved like the Garand and will become the prize of a collection, they just become range toys. What gets me is the price rise. What kind of fool buys a $200 Mosin?
Food Storage / Re: Beans 6 years later
« Last post by Redman on Today at 01:58:35 PM »
Hmm, looks like pre soak, change water, cook briefly, jar and process. But I need new glasses so I might be mistaken.
The HAM Radio Board / Re: Please cancel your ARRL membership (???)
« Last post by SCWolverine on Today at 11:46:02 AM »
not sure if you missed it or not; but that story is about the Op from Reddit who wrote the scolding piece about the ARRL that this thread was spawned from
If you get some harvested, I wanna get 1/2 cup of seed off you.

Cedar
Did you put it in her potty corner?
Is there nocturnal animals or dogs?

Sometimes they deserve to go into the Crock-Pot. Mine get three chances. That includes pulling off a litter of 8+, if less than that, that is a strike against her. She has to raise them all to 4.5# or better at 56 days or that is a strike against her again, etc.

In my book she has one more chance before the stewpot.

Cedar
So it's been a month since bred back the one rabbit after the first debacle.  New next boxes made and ready.  Watching the calendar.  Put the next box in a couple days ago.  Watching for hair pulling, etc.  Nothing....but rabbit is climbing in and out of the box .. i can tell because the straw I put is is nested up nice.  Then this morning i go out and there are 9 dead babies in on the cage bottom and the nest box is empty except for a little poop.  <sigh>  These animals are driving me nuts.

What do I need to do to get these girls to USE the nest boxes?
.... wondering about wild rice (which is not a true rice). There is a farm in Michigan (?) that sells it for seed stock. I am sure you can find it elsewhere.  But it would be a nice crop for you if like eating it. 30% naturally shatters, so it is good for wildlife and reseeding purposes. If you can grow it in a kiddie pool, I think this ditch would work excellently.

Harvest would not require a boat, just walk one side with a wheelbarrow and two sticks. One pulls the stalks over the wheelbarrow, the other to.tap the plant to make the rice drop in. I'd do one side, and then up the other.

I was looking into growing it when I was considering buying 160 acres with a 30 acre lake on it. Ducks Unlimited up there had a program at the time with wild rice for wildlife as well as fencing.

I like that idea!  Will have to see if I can make it work!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10