Author Topic: Best Deals For Mylar / Oxygen Absorbers  (Read 3079 times)

Offline jb59

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Best Deals For Mylar / Oxygen Absorbers
« on: November 01, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »
I'm about to nose-dive into some serious food storage and figured it to my advantage to toss this question out here prior to proceeding.

Just curious if there is a 'favorite' place among TSPers when it comes to shopping for mylar, mylar bags, oxygen absorbers, etc.  I get food grade buckets nearly free from a local supermarket. 

Thanks for any input.

V/r

Joe
We all used to laugh when grandpa would head down to the ole fishing hole, but then we wouldn't laugh when he would come back from town with some ole whore.
– Jack Handey Deep Thoughts

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: Best Deals For Mylar / Oxygen Absorbers
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 03:14:56 PM »
since sales vary, you need to compare. Also, if you are ordering other stuff anyways at a place so it may fall under the same shipping. Just have to look at your personal whole picture and shop around. If you needed buckets, which you dont but someone else may, then the 10 bucket special from emergency essentials, buckets/lids/large mylar/absorber set is likely the least expensive. I have bought them from emergency essentials, amazon once, and usually just have them come as part of my monthly order from Azure Standard so no shipping charge. (Azure also has the best prices on gamma lids, but if I want a specific color to color code the pantry buckets, I buy them from emergency essentials)
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 09:37:41 PM »
I like the 1 gallon bags sold by the LDS site at providentliving.org. I bought a bunch and haven't had to buy more recently, but they were the best deal I found at the time. I bought my oxygen absorbers from these folks: https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/emergency-supplies/food-storage-equipment/oxygen-absorbers

Offline jb59

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 07:38:19 PM »
since sales vary, you need to compare. Also, if you are ordering other stuff anyways at a place so it may fall under the same shipping. Just have to look at your personal whole picture and shop around. If you needed buckets, which you dont but someone else may, then the 10 bucket special from emergency essentials, buckets/lids/large mylar/absorber set is likely the least expensive. I have bought them from emergency essentials, amazon once, and usually just have them come as part of my monthly order from Azure Standard so no shipping charge. (Azure also has the best prices on gamma lids, but if I want a specific color to color code the pantry buckets, I buy them from emergency essentials)

A year later..but thank you mountainmoma.  I hadn't heard of Azure Standard before but check them out and now have them saved to my prepping folder.
We all used to laugh when grandpa would head down to the ole fishing hole, but then we wouldn't laugh when he would come back from town with some ole whore.

Offline jb59

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 07:40:51 PM »
I like the 1 gallon bags sold by the LDS site at providentliving.org. I bought a bunch and haven't had to buy more recently, but they were the best deal I found at the time. I bought my oxygen absorbers from these folks: https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/emergency-supplies/food-storage-equipment/oxygen-absorbers

Thank you LVS.  I like that usaemergencysupply website. I've used their website for advice on storing foods. Hadn't heard of the LDS site though.  Both keepers! Thanks much for the reply.

Offline Anarchist

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 01:12:45 AM »
Hi,

Most folks believe that those silvery bags and pouches are Mylar as that is what they are advertised as. Nothing could be further from the truth. 99.44% of bags and pouches advertised as Mylar are not mylar. MYLAR(R) is the patented and trademarked two stage process that stretches the PET in two directions and is then heat set to prevent shrinkage. Think lid on TV dinner, MRE. This process is applied to PET (polyethylene terephthalate) To creat BoPET(Biaxially-oriented polyethylene terephthalate) MYLAR(R) and costs double that of PET. I don't know any mfg of true MYLAR(R) food/coffee bags or pouches,

I have done considerable research on packaging for long term food storage, 10 yrs + and have found that Stockbagdepot has the best quality and pricing. I nitrogen flush and vacuum pack all my dry food products.The following links are for the bags I use. The 2-lb bag will hold approx 5-lb of rice, beans, peas, lentals, grains. These bags are 5.4 mil, 3 ply-PET.AL Foil, LLDPE, 0% Oxygen transmission, 0% Vapor transmission & 0% UV transmission.
http://www.stockbagdepot.com/gusseted-bags/quad-seal-foil/16-oz-silver_11010502.html,  w/valve
http://www.stockbagdepot.com/gusseted-bags/quad-seal-foil/2-lb-silver.html     w/valve

My system consists of the following. Lg cylinder of dry nitrogen, flow meter, electric operated solenoid valve, hose & tube to flush oxygen from bags &product. Hopper w/slide valve for product. 6x8" Denturist shaker table w/scale to shake and weigh bags when filling. Thinwall containers to hold bag shape when filling, sealing & vacuuming. Clamco Foot operated constant heat sealer. Dry vane rotary vacuum pump.

Last packaging project was about 1000-lbs of rice, beans, soup mixes, peas, lentils, seeds, sprouting seeds & grains over the course of several days.