Author Topic: Anyone attend an Appleseed shoot today?  (Read 5430 times)

Offline Papijoe

• Prepper
  • Resiliency Journeyman
Anyone attend an Appleseed shoot today?
« on: April 19, 2015, 07:47:45 PM »
I had the pleasure and honor of attending the Harvard MA Patriots Day shoot this weekend, not far from Lexington and Concord.

The instructors did a tremendous job as always. Still haven't got my patch but everything started to come together at the end and next time I'll have what it takes

I understand there were a number of other Appleseeds this weekend. It would be great to hear from anyone else who was there.
Once I had my heroes
Once I had my dreams
But all of that is changed now
They've turned things inside out
The truth is not that comfortable, no

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Anyone attend an Appleseed shoot today?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 01:14:32 AM »
I am out of sector at the moment and was not able to attend.  Keep working to get your patch!  It took me a while also, remember that your patch is not just earned at a shoot, its earned on the floor of your living room with the dry fire.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline Papijoe

• Prepper
  • Resiliency Journeyman
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 06:26:15 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement and you make a great point

The preparation directly impacts the kind of experience you have

Despite going over the checklist I forgot/misplace things like a good mat, my staple gun and the key to my chamber lock. In all cases the instructors and other shooters kept us on the line but it would have been better to have been better equipped. I also realized elbow and knee pads would have helped with the prone shooting

We also needed a lot more prep time with our guns and other hardware like zeroed in sights and optics. Sometimes it's better to go and use a loaner if that's your only option but the next time you will se the value in proven hardware
Once I had my heroes
Once I had my dreams

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 06:59:54 AM »
I also realized elbow and knee pads would have helped with the prone shooting
I find the pads wiggle too much for my taste.  I prefer to put the padding on the ground than on myself, but your mileage may vary.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline car54

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 04:54:53 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement and you make a great point

The preparation directly impacts the kind of experience you have

Despite going over the checklist I forgot/misplace things like a good mat, my staple gun and the key to my chamber lock. In all cases the instructors and other shooters kept us on the line but it would have been better to have been better equipped. I also realized elbow and knee pads would have helped with the prone shooting

We also needed a lot more prep time with our guns and other hardware like zeroed in sights and optics. Sometimes it's better to go and use a loaner if that's your only option but the next time you will se the value in proven hardware

I've done Appleseed a few times. what kind of rifle are you using?

Offline Papijoe

• Prepper
  • Resiliency Journeyman
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 05:20:44 PM »
It's pretty much a stock 10/22 that I made into a Liberty Training Rifle. This shoot I swapped out the Tech Sights for a scope
Once I had my heroes
Once I had my dreams

Offline daveinmichigan

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2015, 08:36:02 AM »
It sounds like you are getting pretty close to your Rifleman patch, what do you think is the last rough spot holding you back?

FULL DISCLOSURE: I am one of crazy Appleseed Instructors. We have drills for just about any sticking point and I'll happily share anything you need.
Money permits you to obtain for your goods and your labor that which they are worth to the men who buy them, but no more.

Offline TiredOldGrunt

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tabbed: "Regular Guy"
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 06:11:21 PM »
Id have to google appleseed, been a while since I looked it up, dont think theres any matches near us, but daughter and I are shooing USPSA and *loving it*!!  Were not very good, but for $15 its the best fun Ive had in years!!

TOG

Offline Papijoe

• Prepper
  • Resiliency Journeyman
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 05:15:24 PM »
It sounds like you are getting pretty close to your Rifleman patch, what do you think is the last rough spot holding you back?

FULL DISCLOSURE: I am one of crazy Appleseed Instructors. We have drills for just about any sticking point and I'll happily share anything you need.

I need to be more consistent in squeezing the trigger more slowly and avoiding dragging wood, but the biggest thing is finding my relaxed natural point of aim.
Once I had my heroes
Once I had my dreams

Offline Papijoe

• Prepper
  • Resiliency Journeyman
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 05:18:19 PM »
Id have to google appleseed, been a while since I looked it up, dont think theres any matches near us, but daughter and I are shooing USPSA and *loving it*!!  Were not very good, but for $15 its the best fun Ive had in years!!

TOG

Good for you TOG, I've taken an IDPA class and we have free practices at two of the nearby clubs. I'm at the point that I need to go and shoot a match.
Once I had my heroes
Once I had my dreams

Offline daveinmichigan

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 05:17:33 PM »
I'm sure the Instructors at your Appleseed event talked to you about verifying your NPOA by getting your "Sight Allignment" and "Sight Picture" and then checking your NPOA by closing your eyes, breathing in, breathing out, and then opening your eyes. IF your sight picture is still the same, you have your NPOA for that day at the time, in that position. But many folks have a hard time because you always seem to relax more and when you open your eyes, the POA has shifted indicating you didn't have your NPOA..

Give this exercise a try...

SAFETY FIRST!!! NO AMMO IN THE IMMEDIATE AREA AND CHECK, DOUBLE CHECK, TRIPLE CHECK TO MAKE SURE YOUR RIFE IS CLEAR!

Select an area that provides a safe down range area with lots of visual variances (a forest is a great example). Get in the position you want to work for the determination of your NPOA. Here is the key. Close your eyes and keep them closed while you relax, wiggle, relax, breath, relax, etc. until you have the most stable position possible for you at that time on that day. Open your eyes and note exactly where your sights are pointing. That is your NPOA. Verify it (see above) and enjoy the feeling!

Once you have the "feeling" if your NPOA, now try moving it by pivoting as you were instructed at the Appleseed event. Let me know who it wors out for you. I will keep working with you until you get it all dialed in and get that Rifleman patch.

Dave
Money permits you to obtain for your goods and your labor that which they are worth to the men who buy them, but no more.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 06:26:10 PM »
  :popcorn:

I am listening in for tips, we are likely going back to try again in August
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Papijoe

• Prepper
  • Resiliency Journeyman
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2015, 07:53:44 PM »

Select an area that provides a safe down range area with lots of visual variances (a forest is a great example). Get in the position you want to work for the determination of your NPOA. Here is the key. Close your eyes and keep them closed while you relax, wiggle, relax, breath, relax, etc. until you have the most stable position possible for you at that time on that day. Open your eyes and note exactly where your sights are pointing. That is your NPOA. Verify it (see above) and enjoy the feeling!

Once you have the "feeling" if your NPOA, now try moving it by pivoting as you were instructed at the Appleseed event. Let me know who it wors out for you. I will keep working with you until you get it all dialed in and get that Rifleman patch.

Dave
[/quote]

That sounds like a great drill Dave I'll give it a try!
Once I had my heroes
Once I had my dreams

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2015, 08:25:04 AM »
I was shoot boss for the April 19th event in Roswell, GA. Best fun you can have with your clothes on IMHO.

daveinmichigan,

Nice to see you on here. I hope to meet you in person out on the trail some day.

"Be Prepared" - The Boy Scout motto
Please Come By My Website - MakingAHomestead.com

Offline Prepper7

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2015, 01:40:57 PM »
<snip> Give this exercise a try...<snip>
Great drill. I, too, have trouble finding/keeping my NPOA. And thank you for your volunteer service to such a great organization!  :clap:
Don’t be nervous, don’t be flustered, don’t be scared—be prepared! —Tom Lehrer

Where will you Appleseed?

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 07:28:02 AM »
I went to one a couple years ago with my wife and liked it. We both want to go again for both days as we only got to do the first day.

How do you like the Tech sights? I was thinking of putting them on my Marlin. I had a scope on there and can remount it, but I think I'd prefer tech sights for what it's intended use would be... not sure yet.

Offline daveinmichigan

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 10:29:10 AM »
The Good:Tech Sights are great and work much better (for most people) than the standard sights on most .22 rifles. Another advantage of the Tech Sights is that the usage transfers nicely to military rifles.

Speaking for myself and not for Project Appleseed: I believe most people (especially those of us with older eyes) will get more out of the Appleseed event if we use a scoped rifle. The magnification makes the target look bigger and that allows for more precise "aiming" for folks.

Shooting well is simple, point the bangstick where it needs to be pointed and keep it there while you work the trigger. I wish it was a easy as it is simple. Your job as the shooter is to provide a stable platform for the firearm, point it where it needs to be pointed, and squeeeeeeeze the trigger.

Do anything you can do the minimize movement (within any time or situational constraints) is good. Body position, slings, bipods, etc.
Use your equipment properly. Get instruction or record yourself and have someone help you take a look at it.

I've seen some people shoot some AMAZING groups out of old stock riles with stock sights and I've seen folks with $+++++ firearms that really struggled.

PS I go by Whippet on the Appleseed forums if anyone wants to say hello over there.

Aim small...