Author Topic: Any suggestions for training?  (Read 2312 times)

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
Any suggestions for training?
« on: October 13, 2015, 09:49:51 AM »
I'm wanting something that is more fundamental/practical as opposed to tactical. I carry my pistol and have practiced with that the most, but have never taken a course. I have done an Appleseed with my AR and enjoyed that. I also have a Mossberg 500 that I've probably shot the least and have not done any training with.

I was thinking of something like a day with a skeet/clay instructor to get some work with the shotgun in, or a basic pistol course that teaches technique.

Any thoughts on what to look for or things to avoid? I am in the Tucson area.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Any suggestions for training?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 10:32:42 AM »
Tucson?

Well there is always Gunsite: http://www.gunsite.com/

They are the grand-daddy of firearms training centers and from everything I have heard teach superb handgun, rifle and shotgun courses.  They are spendy, but supposed to be top notch training and top notch facilities.

As to the one day class format, google "Tuscon AZ firearms training" and start culling.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 10:50:09 AM »
Cool, didn't know about them. I will check them out, although they might be a bit to far for a one day course.

I did look up some firearms trainers in the area and am looking into them. I always like to ask the hive mind what they think because there are people way more knowledgeable on here than I am.

Offline Gulo gulo

• Senior Survivalist
  • Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 09:01:04 AM »
If you liked Appleseed, try out an NRA or CMP rifle match. Like the AQT but full distance at bullseye targets.

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 11:01:17 AM »
Keep an eye on Crowd Cut for local classes/opportunities. My wife got us a 2 for 1 "intro to trap shooting" class a couple years back. She'd never done it and it had been about 20 years for me. Long story short she learned well from the instructor, we had fun, and continue to shoot trap, skeet,and clays. They're actually my favorite thing to shoot and the only kind of shooting my wife loves (beside archery).

Maybe you could do an armorer's class or other technical side of the gun world. Or learn reloading. Something like that. And don't discount the fun of IDPA or other competitive games. Even some force on force airsoft can be valuable learning.

From the OP it sounds like the shotgun is your weak point (assuming you want to stay in guns and away from archery/axe throwing/blowguns/etc.). Consider trying it out. You've already got the gun.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 11:31:11 AM »
Good suggestions David. I'd love to do reloading and have the Lyman's manual but don't have the time/funds to get started in that right now. Not looking to get into 'primitive' weapons as they don't interest me at all. I know people who love archery and other things in that vein and am not bashing them, just not my thing.

I'm really leaning shotgun class, and trap/skeet sounds fun. I wouldn't mind a tactical class, but I feel that those types of classes should come after I have some experience with my weapons. This post reminds me I need to call the local trap club and see if they have instructors there.

The armorer's class is a neat idea, I hadn't thought about doing that.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 03:11:04 PM »
Looks like I'm taking a trap/skeet lesson. One of the local trap clubs has a couple guys who volunteer to give intro lessons. Range fee of $25, another $10 if I want to rent one of their Benelli autloaders, and whatever ammo is going to cost me. That get's me a few hours of instruction. I'm pretty stoked!