Author Topic: low price on long term freeze dried veggie mix  (Read 1503 times)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
low price on long term freeze dried veggie mix
« on: January 04, 2016, 12:02:51 PM »
This is a real low price on dehydrated  veggie mix. A five gallon buckets worth for $69. Nutrient label shows %100 vit C, 60% vit A for one person/year.

I am thinking for smaller families, might be nice to open the bucket, and repack in gallon mylars with O2 absorbers, put back into bucket for long term.

http://www.costco.com/.product.586844.html
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 06:03:42 AM by Chemsoldier »
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: low price on long term freeze dried veggie mix
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 01:16:29 PM »
Thanks MM

That looks like a good price, I think I'll pick one up.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 07:40:29 PM »
This is a real low price on freeze dried veggie mix. A five gallon buckets worth for $69. Nutrient label shows %100 vit C, 60% vit A for one person/year.

I am thinking for smaller families, might be nice to open the bucket, and repack in gallon mylars with O2 absorbers, put back into bucket for long term.

http://www.costco.com/.product.586844.html

Um. . .not to be contrarian or contradictory, but when I pull up the nutrition label it says 70% of Vitamin C and 45% of Vitamin A and  a whopping 60 calories per serving (remember that 1200 calories/day is a STARVATION diet).

Keep also in mind that a single serving is 1/4 cup of veggies (pre-hydration).  Now, granted, that gives you a bucket with 97 cups of dried vegetables.

I don't know about being a "year's supply" of vegetables.  Depending upon what your actual food plan is like, even limiting yourself to 240 calories (1 cup) of vegetables each day brings this to just over 3 months' worth of food.

I guess you could bulk up with empty calories, somewhere, but I really hate when these "food storage" companies grossly exaggerate their foods and serving sizes.

Not griping at YOU, MountainMomma. . .just about the misleading information put out by these companies.

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

I once filled the best and brightest of our young men and women with important knowledge. . .now, I just get paid for my opinions.  Ain't Life Grand?

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 08:20:26 PM »
The company doesnt say it is a years supply at all -- that is me.

A years supply of the one servings worth of vitamins, at 1/4 cup servings of one a day.

Not calories ! At all. The first things I put aside in long term food storage(past the 3 month supply) was for calories. Then I slowly added fats and variety for flavor/nutrients.

This is a very low price for this amount of dehydrated veggies. You will have to excuse my hyperbole in how I interpreted what it can represent in terms of variety and vitamins to a bare bones LTS.

I went back and looked at the nutritional facts link, and it says it is 100% vit c and 60% vit a and 90 calories per1/4 cup serving. http://www.costco.com/wcsstore/CostcoUSBCCatalogAssetStore/Attachment/586844.pdf

However, the photo of the label, which must be what you looked at, I now see, has it slightly different, and they are referring to slightly different servings per bucket, which may explain why they are different.

Yes, in addition to this one needs a calorie base, grains and legumes, and salt/flavorings ( I like soy sauce alot for this) and fats. I like canned butter for fats.

I also have a few other vegetables that are LTS. For example, dehydrated carrots and dehydrated onions from LDS store house, and tomato powder. 

But, I can tell you, for the amount in this bucket, this is a good price for this amount of veggies, and convenient to toss into a soup. I have found that 1/4 cup of dry veggies rehydrates more and sounds about right for one serving of the vegtable part of a bowl of soup.

I plan a bare bones LTS based on 2000 calories a day -- my daughter and I arent very big. And I would hope to never have to rely only on the LTS without some supplementation. I agree that 1200 calories is not an amount to plan on.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 08:37:16 PM by mountainmoma »
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher