Author Topic: What Civilian Gun Training Schools Have You Attended/What Did You Think?  (Read 41791 times)

Offline bsteimel

• Prepper
  • Give me Liberty, or Give me Death!
    • Technology Consulting
I just went to the Michigan Appleseed event in Williamston, MI.

Here are my notes on the weekend's instruction. I went to the web to add images for clarity.

Another thanks for such an excellent write up.  I went to an Appleseed myself about 2 years ago and had a very similar positive experience.  It's very much about history and liberty along with some basic rifleman skills.  I have never had any formal training and have mostly trained myself how to shoot for the last 5 years.  This was a huge bump in my skills and enjoyed the history along with the rifle training.  It was in central PA on a excellent range.  I camped with a few buddies of mine and it made the weekend affordable and a lot of fun.  I highly recommend this course to anyone looking for a fun weekend to pick up a few skills.  The leaders were very knowledgeable and would help from the novice to the pro.  The group session made be old hat for a pro shooter but there was ample opportunity for one on one sessions. 

Offline Azaezel

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: What Civilian Gun Training Schools Have You Attended/What Did You Think?
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2012, 05:06:01 PM »
I took the Sigma 3 Stalking and Fieldcraft class. They have a full tactical scout curriculum including SERE and precision rifle classes. I highly recommend them and plan to take more when I can.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2012, 08:28:31 PM »
I took my concealed carry through TIG Firearms in southwest Ohio.  Ryan was a fantastic instructor.  I was able to get about 7 of my friends to take the class and my mother as well.  6 of my friends and I did the Level II, Intro to Advanced Pistol Shooting and really enjoyed it.  I plan on taking level III in the spring with most of the people I took Level II with.

Once I exhaust their courses I will go through another place called TDI.  I will do just about everything local I can, as well as an Appleseed shoot, before I try to attend one of the big guys.

http://www.tigfirearms.com/

http://tdiohio.com/

And thank you for starting the post.  +1
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

"There's this new thing called Situational Awareness!"  Sterling Archer

Offline dep190

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2012, 06:31:27 PM »
I am posting the TDT web page The specialize in military and police but will run civilian classes! Matt is an excellent instructor!

http://tacticaldefensetraining.com/staff.html

Offline mort585

• Prepper
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2013, 07:13:53 AM »
In the past, I have taken classes with InSights Training (Bellevue, WA). Outstanding instruction. Locally (NH), I try to attend several classes each year at the Sig Sauer Academy. This past summer I attended my first Appleseed event and it was a great experience.

Offline shambo

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
I am going to be taking the mag 40 class in Salt Lake in Sept, sponsored by the Gun Dudes.  I am interested in advice on preparation for the class.  Like what shooting drills will serve me best,  or books i should read prior, or Equipment i should have other than whats on the suggested list,  which I got covered.  I will be pulling my camper and am interested in recommended RV parks.  The range is west of Salt Lake on I80.  Any advice on the class would be appreciated.

Offline spooky-1

• Survivalist Mentor
I just go accepted to FLETC FITP program for instructors. And I found outthat Sig Arms aademy accepts GI BIll, the caveat is only specific classes apply
Light, Lean, Lethal.
This is my aim

endurance

I am going to be taking the mag 40 class in Salt Lake in Sept, sponsored by the Gun Dudes.  I am interested in advice on preparation for the class.  Like what shooting drills will serve me best,  or books i should read prior, or Equipment i should have other than whats on the suggested list,  which I got covered.  I will be pulling my camper and am interested in recommended RV parks.  The range is west of Salt Lake on I80.  Any advice on the class would be appreciated.
Congrats on the class.  I haven't been to that school, but as general advice, focus on accuracy and a smooth trigger pull before the class and usually they'll focus on speed with safety at the class.  Working on speed without an instructor's eagle eye on you just makes you a very fast and dangerous person.  Dry fire is great.

Equipment-wise, a good strong-side belt holster that will not collapse is generally preferred.  I like a good stiff leather holster that holds its shape well, but there's some really good kydex holsters out there now, too.  I don't like any holster that places your finger on or near the trigger when you draw (Blackhawk, in my opinion, are accidents waiting to happen).  Obviously a couple weak-side mag holders.  I like 5.11 pants with the padded knees for classes.  They're not cheap, but now that I'm in my mid-40s, I don't like kneeling on gravel as much as I used to.  You can also use OSHA knee pads, but I find they're not as comfortable by the end of the day and I hate taking stuff on and off all the time. 

Sun protection and dehydration are your biggest issues.  Long sleeved, light colored shirts are a plus.  Baseball cap is a necessity.  Sunscreen on the back of your neck applied frequently.  I also like to carry a small notebook and pen in my BDU pocket because the instructors will say little gems on the line that you'll want to remember.

Otherwise, show up with a working gun with ammo and generally they'll take care of the rest.  I like snack foods that don't require me to touch them (bars in the wrappers) because you're handling so much lead, but want to eat all day long rather than a huge breakfast or lunch.  Bring plenty of gatorade and water, drink often, and have fun.

Offline 802Shawn

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
I have been to the Sig Sauer Academy in Epping N.H . It is by far the best range I've ever shot at ,clean , safe ,  indoor , out door as well as long range (I have shot at a lot ranges from East Coast to West Coast). I have taken one class so far and plan to take more. The class was $200 bucks and was 10 hours long over the course of one day. The instructor had some serious creds , he didn't push Sig as a better weapon or anything like that. If you know your way around a gun then I would skip the basic class , let them know your a active shooter and they should ok it ( I had no problems ). A third of the class had flown in from just about everywhere, it seemed like most of them turned it into a vacation . The did a class a day with a day off worked in . The class sizes are from about 10 to 15 people from what I saw and experienced . The Sig Sauer Pro shop was pretty cool as well . If you take a class you get 10% of any thing you buy as well as future classes .   
Off your ass and on your feet, out of the shade and in heat !

Offline Andy in NH

• Senior Survivalist
  • Ex injuria jus non oritur
I recently attended Armed Movement in Structures (AMIS) in Memphis hosted by Rangemaster and taught Craig Douglas of Shivworks.

The training was geared toward the typical homeowner who may be forced to clear a building by themselves without support.  This was not a team-tactics SWAT class focusing on CQB TTPs.

Throughout the class Craig reminded the students that there is no safe way to negotiate a structure by yourself and that this is the most dangerous thing you can do.

His task was to present to the class the TTPs that represented the best case options. 

Not all of them are good, and all are probably bad (his words), but when you have no choice but to search and clear a building in defense of a loved one, the lessons learned will help you make a better bad choice.

The class was 20 hours of instruction (12 on Sat., 8 on Sun.)

Saturday consisted of learning the technical techniques of movement inside a building.

We spent time discussing what can be seen in and around a structure.  Craig encouraged the students to "change their lens" and describe what we cannot see as in, "I cannot see around that corner.  I do not know what is to the left of the door jamb."

He also told us about "planes of visual impediment" (POVI) such as doors / walls, furniture, and stairs.  Craig instructed us to focus on the edges and always seek depth when searching.

That brought us to the "depth deficit" conversation.  Basically, whoever (GG or BG) has the most depth from a POVI has the advantage in detection.

After lunch we spent time practicing "working the angles" on doors, rooms and hallways.  Air-soft guns were used to benefit the GG when the correct decisions were made and to drive lessons home when mistakes occurred.

After dinner Craig gave us his view of flashlight application.  He prefers a modified FBI technique where the student makes a frame with their support hand (bezel facing away from thumb) because light draws fire.  He also prefers to use the light in an arrhythmic fashion by varying the frequency and duration of when the light is on. He also likes a strobe mode on the light saying, "The strobe function won’t knock anyone down, but it is good for masking movement."

We then spent some time practicing "working the angles", but now with flashlights.  Just like Craig predicted, one weapon mounted light had its bezel cracked by an air-soft BB when "light draws fire".

Sunday focused on the contextual application of the aforementioned techniques.

Craig mentioned a tie-in from USPSA/IDPA  (competition shooting - horrors!) where you look where you want to go based on the geometry of the room.  We worked corner-fed rooms and center-fed rooms adjusting our pace based on the number of exposures we were facing.

He taught a technique he calls "Port and Bypass" where you look and point the gun into an uncleared space as you increase your pace as a reaction to a target indicator further in the structure.  In other words, you do not simply run past three doors after hearing your daughter scream at the back of the house, but instead give exposure a cursory glance (and engaging if necessary) while moving quicker than your search pace.

Various evolutions were conducted to test the GGs reaction to various actions of the BG such as; fire, surrender, flight, or anything else.

The class culminated with an air-soft FOF evolution between a homeowner, a family member, and two intruders.

My marksmanship and gun handling endured through the evolution, but my decision making could have been better; I nearly caused the "family member" to come under fire!

I have also attended Shivworks' EWO, ECQC and VCAST classes.  Like all of the courses put on by Craig, AMIS is highly recommended!

Is the boy you were proud of the man you are?

Fimbo iliyo mkononi, ndio iuwayo nyoka!

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Me and my friends took a Simunition class 2 weeks ago with John Riddle of Progressive Self Defense Systems. It was a 4-5 hour class and we covered mostly the quick draw and fire. Can anyone recommend another course in south Florida?
Whataaaah!!!!

Bonnieblue2A

Me and my friends took a Simunition class 2 weeks ago with John Riddle of Progressive Self Defense Systems. It was a 4-5 hour class and we covered mostly the quick draw and fire. Can anyone recommend another course in south Florida?

I know a number of people of the gun who drive from South FL to train here in central FL: http://www.southernexposuretraining.com/

Offline TheZenful1

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2014, 08:07:47 AM »
I've been through a # of classes with Frank Sharpe Jr at Fortress Defense Consultants. Top notch instruction and best value for your dollars anywhere on the planet.

Last year, I took classes from Tom Givens @ Rangemaster (3 day Instructor Development and Certification) and with Henk Iverson Tactical Systems (Civilian Defensive Pistol Level 1, Civilian Concealed Handgun Tactics & Civilian Personal Defensive Tactics classes).... fantastic learning experiences for a phenomenal 2013!

This year the plan so far is more FOF, Handgun Update with Fortress, John Farnam for Pistol Level 1 and Massad Ayoob's MAG 20. Universe (& ammo) willing I may look to get into a Tactical Response class within the next 12-18 months as well and hopefully (at least 1) another Iverson course within that time frame as well.

Offline Mick-boy

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Whew..  I've been a serious student for about 8 years now.  I've written AARs on most of the courses I've attended but that would be a long freakin' post.  Here's a "best of breed" off the top of my head.

CCW - Craig Douglas' (southnarc) ECQC - This is a physical class dealing with lethal encounters from 0-5ft.  Time is spent on the range shooting from various positions of retention and in the gym doing simulated confrontation with other students using simunitions.  If you carry a gun and most of your training to date has been standing on a firing line and shooting paper in one direction, this class should be on your short list.

Handgun - Larry Vickers' Basic Pistol - I haven't attended this class for several years and I've heard that Larry is a little less accessible these days, but this was one of the best "fundamental" pistol classes I've ever taken.

Bob Vogel's World Class Pistol Skills - This is a class generally geared towards competition but it forced me to redefine my definition of "fast" and "accurate".  Mr. Vogel had some excellent break downs of pistol shooting mechanics.

Carbine - Mike Pannone - Mike's class was one of the biggest data dumps off good information I've ever received.  The half day he spends talking through rifle malfunctions and how to clear them is worth the cost of the class if you carry a rifle for a living.  You can consider the other two and a half days of fundamentals based combat marksmanship a bonus. 

Mick-Boy

"Men who carry rifles for a living do not seek reward outside the guild. The most cherished gift...is a nod from his peers."

Offline fnfalguy

• Survivor
  • Ever learning...
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2014, 07:23:18 PM »
One of my first classes many years ago was with KR Training in Austin.  Enjoyable class with some use of simunitions  force on force.  Then took several classes (mostly handgun and shotgun) at Thunder Ranch.  Did some training with some local folks since then. 

Recently I picked up some memberships at Front Sight for an inexpensive price so the family is planning on heading there next to try them out.
I want to live in a world where a Transgender gay couple can use a machine gun to protect their pot plants while paying a 10% flat tax.

Offline SoCalPrepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2014, 10:15:47 AM »
I'll step forward and answer this and face the threat of a lawsuit.  Be very, very careful when dealing with Iggy.  I almost bought into his "uber" gun community and am unbelievably happy I didn't.   I'm going to suggest that you do a search on Google for "Front Sight" and "Lawsuit". . .you may also want to search the name of the owner and Scientology.  It is my personal opinion that anyone who wishes to partake in any offers by "Front Sight" will want to do a thorough and complete search, not just on the internet but with the law enforcement agencies servicing Front Sight's area before you go. 

Remember, also, that many people have attended Front Sight and walked away happy.  Just be prepared for one of those Time Share-like presentations.  It is also my personal opinion that Front Sight cannot compare on any level with shooting schools such as Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, Yavapai, or other reputable programs.  Just as with any other school, you will have the supporters and detractors. . .however, I would look very carefully into the experience and professional level of the people who most vocally support any such program.

Just my personal opinion. . .worth exactly what you paid for it.

BTW, Nixer, what sort of dog is that in your pic?

The Professor

I'm a big proponent of Front Sight. I was skeptical until I went - and the training is top notch, especially for beginners who have never really worked from a holster. They also offer edged weapons classes. Agree that Iggy is a mess-however, you can set those emails to go to your "spam" folder and not worry about it. There is NO sales presentation if you go to Front Sight for a training class. NONE. The lunch presentations are usually an overview of the laws of self defense, one was a pitch by a safe company, and one was a pitch for some fancy ear protection. That was it.

I've taken the 4 day pistol, and will be back in November for a 2 day pistol and a 4 day rifle. I wasn't a bad shooter when I went out there, but I left a safer, more accurate, faster shooter. When I started shooting IDPA, and was asked what training I had, when I told them "Front Sight" they said, "Great! That means you know how to safely work from the holster, you don't need to be in the beginner group."

Their motto should be: "Front Sight: Good Solid Training, Annoying as Heck Marketing." You can get memberships / course certificates for around $200. Most of us members have extras to spare. I sure do!

To answer the rest of the question: I've take the NRA basic and instructor training course, trained at a new-ish school in CA called Guncraft, and done some work through ISI Shootists in Piru, California. All good stuff, but Front Sight was the best so far! I'd like to get out to Gunsite but it is EXPENSIVE.

Offline xsquidgator

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2014, 09:49:08 AM »
I've taken three Massad Ayoob classes (MAG-40 in 2010 and again in 2013, and MAG-80 in 2012)  and one tactical class (Combat Team Tactics, this year) from Max Velocity Tactical.
I unhesitatingly recommend any and all classes you can get from either trainer.

If you can only take one training class, I would make that class be Massad Ayoob's MAG-40 class.  It used to be called LFI-I.  It's 40 hours, 4 ten hour days, of legal, tactical, and shooting instruction.  Mas has said the class is a "major in WHEN to shoot, and a minor in HOW to shoot" and I think this emphasis is appropriate for the private armed citizen.  There's plenty of good instruction in how to shoot, don't get me wrong,  but the centerpiece of MAG-40 is WHEN to shoot and how to justify it, and how to handle the legal aftermath of a self-defense incident.  I took it in 2010, and eventually got my wife to agree to take it so I retook it with her last year.  My wife has had a carry permit but did not (before this class) really use it.  She agreed that MAG-40 is truly "life-changing".  You'll know when and when not to use a gun after this class, and if you do need to, you won't hesitate when you should shoot. 

MAG-80 is an advanced gun fighting class with gun retention and take-away training.  It's five 8-hour days instead of four tens, since it has a lot more shooting and fighting than MAG-40 and is more physical - students couldn't keep up with ten hour days of that!  I didn't know what to expect, but MAG-80 was an awesome class too and it did not disappoint.  If you want to advance your shooting and self-defensive skills, and to improve your ability to do it all under increasing amounts of stress, MAG-80 is an excellent class.  (MAG-40 is a per-requisite for MAG-80).

The Massad Ayoob Group (MAG) classes are individual skills classes.  For learning group tactics (buddy pair, team, and squad level) I had an absolutely awesome training experience at Max Velocity Tactical (MVT).  Very professional and safe, and obviously experienced at getting students to perform at 100% of their ability level.  There are a number of class reviews on his website if you want the details of some of the classes he offers.  The best thing I can say about it to show my sincerity with the positive review is to let you know that I've already mailed in my deposit for another class at MVT next Spring.

Offline OnionsAndDragons

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2014, 08:47:04 PM »
I took Tactical Pistol Skills with Ernest Langdon last month, and it was a good class.

Ernie is a great guy and a helluva instructor, you can tell he has been teaching guys for quite some time. He is also a big proponent of a primal/paleo type diet, so we had some good discussions during the lunch breaks and we went for dinner.

For anyone that hasn't taken a class and is looking to it: always pack your lunch and load up all your mags beforehand. There will invariably be some people who don't, and that can give you some extra time to talk with the instructor(s), and squeeze a little extra value.

Offline literacola

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2015, 04:28:56 PM »
I took Tactical Pistol Skills with Ernest Langdon last month, and it was a good class.

Ernie is a great guy and a helluva instructor, you can tell he has been teaching guys for quite some time. He is also a big proponent of a primal/paleo type diet, so we had some good discussions during the lunch breaks and we went for dinner.

For anyone that hasn't taken a class and is looking to it: always pack your lunch and load up all your mags beforehand. There will invariably be some people who don't, and that can give you some extra time to talk with the instructor(s), and squeeze a little extra value.

Sorry if this is bringing up an old thread, but I took a defensive pistol course with Earnest Langdon a few years back, and he really was a great instructor! I really enjoyed my time in the course and learned a TON from him.

He's not in my neck of the woods very often, so I'm looking at taking Rifle course with either Fortress Defense or Tactical Response, anybody recommend one over the other?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2015, 04:51:33 PM »
Oregon Firearms Academy. Recommended.

Cedar

"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2015, 07:36:24 PM »
Mississippi Combat Training Academy, http://www.mctarange.com
Highly recommended.  To date, I've taken these classes:
- Enhanced Concealed Carry (it's a MS thing, we have 2 levels of CCW license)
- Gunfighter 101 (twice)
- Night Fighting (twice)
- time permitting this weekend, a two-day medical class

Artes sunt magis quam instrumenta.

Offline shambo

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Yesterday on the ninth of may I attended a Advanced Combat Handgun Tactics with a local trainer.
rockymountaintacticalresponsetraining.com  .  This is the fourth time I did this class.  but this time it was raining off and o n all day.  Then when we decided to bag it at about 6 PM, it was snowing and sleeting.  The poorly maintained dirt roads were half washed out and they closed the road between Kiowa and Elizabeth Co.  Total blizzard of cement.  It took us 4 hours to get home to Golden Co.  All our mags and pistols looked like we were snorkeling.  The class I very good.  At this private range we do things you would never be allowed thru other classes and ranges.  Its very safe and you get your moneys worth.  I will be doing this class at least once a year.  The trainer mixes up the things taught.  Any one interested in this and other firearms classes in the Denver area.  PM me and I'll fill you in on more info..  Very worth the money.

Offline fnfalguy

• Survivor
  • Ever learning...
I just wrapped up a MAG40 class and highly recommend it.  I will say that for the classroom portion, it was truly an immersive class.  Sort of like trying to drink out of a fire hose.  But, Mas was extremely patient and answered all questions no matter how long that took or how many tangents it went down.  I thought enough about it that I signed my wife up for the next available classroom portion.

Solo mi dos centavos
I want to live in a world where a Transgender gay couple can use a machine gun to protect their pot plants while paying a 10% flat tax.

Offline shambo

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
I am looking forward to a MAG 80 class in September.  I tell everybody to do at least the MAG 20.  Well worth the time and  money.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
Project Appleseed

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

World-class traditional rifle marksmanship skills and the history of our country. Can't beat it in my opinion. I'm an instructor with them now and happy to answer any questions. I've seen SWAT team snipers, little old ladies, children and ex-military militia members all on the same firing line before. We have done private events for Boy Scouts, Military, Oath Keepers, Homeschool groups and everything in between. We can do it cheap as we are all volunteers dedicated to spreading the message of Liberty and promoting the American martial art that is rifle marksmanship.

"Be Prepared" - The Boy Scout motto
Please Come By My Website - MakingAHomestead.com

Offline DDJ

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2015, 11:25:03 AM »
My wife just took a class sponsored by Sentinel Concepts(sentinelConcepts.com) for ladies only.  They worked with a local shop Weyer Tactical(weyerTactical.Com) at the Alliance Police range in Alliance Ohio(alliancepolicetraining.com).  The class she took was more of a real concealed carry class.  Not the one that is required by the state but a real how to.  She had nothing but good things to say about the instructor Tatiana Whitlock.  The price was very reasonable and the class size was small (6 I think she said).  She found the facilities at the range facility explant as well.

I have taken some non-shooting classes at Weyer Tactual and hope to take carbine and possibly shotgun classes in the next year or so.

Offline TheZenful1

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #86 on: February 03, 2016, 04:44:20 PM »
Sorry if this is bringing up an old thread, but I took a defensive pistol course with Earnest Langdon a few years back, and he really was a great instructor! I really enjoyed my time in the course and learned a TON from him.

He's not in my neck of the woods very often, so I'm looking at taking Rifle course with either Fortress Defense or Tactical Response, anybody recommend one over the other?

literacola,
My opinion is kind of biased now, but I initially started as a student with Fortress Defense before I started lending a hand and then taking a boatload of classes across the board and then becoming an Instructor with them. Frank Sharpe Jr. and Fortress are a great group of trainers. In the first class I ever took with them, Emergency Treatment of GSW's (TacMed), I was scoping them out for quality of information, their presentation, attitudes, demeanor, the whole shebang. I met 4 of the Instructors that day and I was sold on continuing to take additional training with them.

I have not been to Tactical Response yet, maybe this or next year. I've been a little busy the past 2-3 years training with John & Vicki Farnam, Henk Iverson, Tom Givens, Massad Ayoob and Jeff Chudwin.

So, to get back to my recommendation, check out Fortress Defense. By far the best information and training you can get and the price point is excellent.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2016, 01:35:23 PM »
I attended 360 Tactical Fundamentals of Pistol and Fundamentals of Carbine training. They are located in Houston.

Both were excellent because I really needed some grounding in the fundamentals even after being a "shooter" for a long time. I put "shooter" in quotes because after the class, I felt like I had been wasting ammo and effort all these years.

http://www.360tacticaltraining.com/
Member Support Brigade Canceled

Life, although it may only be an accumulation of anguish, is dear to me, and I will defend it.

Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Offline CR Williams

• Survivalist Mentor
    • In Shadow In Light
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2016, 07:31:57 AM »
In the last 18 months all the class I've taken were focused on CQB training both as an individual and in teams. So far, all of it was from Suarez International. Later this year I'll take one from Fight Focused Concepts. Thoughts on this:

One class used Airsoft for some of the training. The other did not and the one coming will not. Not having a live-fire component has been no drawback at all. Overall, some of the best training I've gotten has not required a shot fired.

I personally have less use for team training than some others do because I have no team and no likelihood of joining one where I'm at for now. Also, when something goes wrong it is highly likely that even if I did have a team I would not have that team with me when the emergency started. So I prefer a greater focus on individual training. If you do have a team where you're at, I would strongly suggest you going as a team to a course like this.
My cats support the 2nd Amendment.

In Shadow In Light - dedicated to the study and advancement of the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com