Author Topic: Captain Fantastic Recommendation  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Grandifolia7

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Captain Fantastic Recommendation
« on: January 06, 2017, 02:26:17 PM »
Has anyone else seen Captain Fantastic?  I highly recommend this movie to this community for entertainment and perspective.  A lot of what this forum talks about is included in the movie.

This is a fictional movie about a father who is raising his family off-grid in Washington state, teaching them to become highly educated, completely independent, and free-thinkers.  It's a little cheesy but thoughtfully put-together.  It's also interesting to see the children's perspective of the rest of the world and how they compare up to other children.

Offline Noah Darco

• Prepper
  • Stay-at-Homestead Dad
    • Food Storage Feast
Re: Captain Fantastic Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 09:19:49 AM »
Rented this last night based on your recommendation.

It's fun to see people like us treated sympathetically and 3-dimensionally by Hollywood for once.

Captain Fantastic takes the lifestyle and scenario to extremes for dramatic purposes, but fleshes out the characters nicely.
Stories like this can serve as a mirror, a reality check on where one's life and family might actually be headed.

It did remind me of the opening sequence of Hanna.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 02:16:32 PM »
I really wish it didn't have that little bit of nudity (pun intended) so I could show it to my kids. A little milder language would be nice, too.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 04:40:19 PM »
We found it disappointing. I realy thought we would like it, especially as we are so homesteading and that I homeschooled my children. I just realy felt so many areas were contrived, inconsistent and anti-homeschooling to boot