Author Topic: Running a propane range/stove on a #20 tank  (Read 3933 times)

Offline Oldhomestead

• Senior Survivalist
Running a propane range/stove on a #20 tank
« on: November 05, 2012, 11:59:55 AM »
Just rolling this around as an idea.

Our current house doesn't have propane piped in but I'd like to have a propane stove for power outages as well as an extra place to prepare our large family get-togethers over the upcoming holidays.

Does anyone know if there would be an issue with hooking a propane stove up to the #20 propane tanks? I already have several on hand for the grill and smoker and although I can cook on those, the convenience of having an actual stove would be nice. Also, using the smaller tanks would make the stove semi-mobile if need be.

I'm already planning on adding a couple stoves to the enclosed porch as a summer/harvest kitchen so I'll have a dedicated spot to process large amounts of food without tying up the normal kitchen. Once we have gas hooked up and a large pig the stove could be mounted more permanently. Just looking for an interim solution right now.

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog

Offline Saint-TyR

• Survivor
    • Ruby Lane Farm
Re: Running a propane range/stove on a #20 tank
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 05:23:52 PM »
You need this adapter (or one like it):

http://www.patioshoppers.com/products/5_Portable_Heater_Adaptor_Hose-4645-0.html?utm_source=amazon&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=amazon

I agree! I have this adapter and it does work for the stovetop. Make sure to check for leaks.

Stay safe.

Offline Freebirde

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 05:30:05 PM »
Also keep a check on how full the tank is and have a spare handy.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 05:43:17 PM »
Any reason that you want to go with the 20# tanks and not with a large propane tank piped in?  In my area, the big tanks are "free" from the propane supplier as long as you only have them fill it.

Offline microdevil45

• Survivor
  • Never Give Up...
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 08:04:15 AM »
I currently do this as part of my backups.  All you need is the adapter and I recommend the extension hose.  Both can be purchased at Walmart or online.  Links below.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-8-Propane-Hose/13848690
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-1-Pound-Propane-Tank-Adapter/13848704

Offline Oldhomestead

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 02:59:31 PM »
Any reason that you want to go with the 20# tanks and not with a large propane tank piped in?  In my area, the big tanks are "free" from the propane supplier as long as you only have them fill it.

Right now it is mainly portability and I don't yet have gas lines installed. Still building out the porch so this would be an interim solution and a quick way to get a system up to help out for the upcoming holidays. And it gives me just one more way to do things.

Thanks for the replies! I knew someone here had to be doing this.

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never buy nothin from a man named true"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 03:16:48 PM »
I was thinking the same thing except i have a 100# tank and at a local fancy feed/tack store they have a propane camp oven it also has two burners.. any one have any experience with those.. it could fit a medium sized turkey..

Offline Oldhomestead

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 12:19:15 PM »
Having some problems getting the adapters to match up to hook the two lines together. The Propane oven has a 1/2" connector coming off it and I have a coated steal gasline that fits it, but the propane hoses that connect off the tanks all have a large brass connector and everyone in the stores are telling me there is no way to connect the two.

If anyone is doing this could you let me know how your connections are set up?

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 12:27:31 PM »
I have a 100# tank hooked up to an almost full sized stove; but I wish I had either a 60# tank or a good dolly.  My house is built up on a pad and getting the full 100# tank back where it belongs is taxing.