Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Permaculture, Land Management and Foraging / Re: making mulch
« Last post by CagedFeral on Today at 04:07:04 AM »
I'd think it's all useful mulch. I'd probably try to keep a soft wood pile and a hardwood pile.

I know any pine mulch would be good around berries.

Let us know what you learn. I may rent a chipper this fall myself. I'm in the same boat. I have about 2 acres of junk pine sumac and a few small white oak. Needs cleared out so I can start something more productive.
The Recipe Board / Re: secret to rice
« Last post by Redman on Today at 02:03:03 AM »
Often I cook them in the oven. It cooks better than on the stovetop for me.

Cedar

I sometimes cook it the oven with, onion, bell pepper, celery and chicken stock and covered.
I should have bought a sawsall as that's a good tool to have around... oh well. Bought a hatchet today. Time to get my cardio in this weekend :)
Permaculture, Land Management and Foraging / Re: Wood Chipper Recommendations
« Last post by bcksknr on Yesterday at 08:14:20 PM »
     I bought a Troy Bilt chipper/shredder. Works great on up to 3" branches. Starts easy, 11.5 horse engine. Very happy with it.
Permaculture, Land Management and Foraging / Re: Wood Chipper Recommendations
« Last post by LVWood on Yesterday at 06:10:25 PM »
Home Depot might have one for rent...
Just saw this.

If what you've got to chip is small, say 1.5"-2", and green, then the typical big box store chipper is adequate as long as you have lots of time on your hands. If it's any bigger than that, or already dry, then you're far better off renting a commercial type tow behind chipper for a day or two a year. I know it isn't what you wanted to hear, but it is the unfortunate truth of chippers.  :(
I've done ours that way for years, when cutting firewood. Most times a hole doesn't get drilled, I just cut 2-3 grooves in the stump with the chainsaw. 4-5 years, and they are rotted out. Roots rot off the stump, and the stump residue comes loose and if it doesn't rot completely, it can be picked up.
Sawzall with a long carbide blade (because of the rocks).
Cut them just below flush. Spade bit and drill em full of holes (moisture catcher)
Cover with dirt and rocks. They'll rot out on their own in 4-5 years.
Did that with my big Palo Verde tree this spring after it got blown over halfway.
Tree cutters took everything but the stump, they wanted way too much money to grind it.
Sawzall with a long carbide blade (because of the rocks).
Cut them just below flush. Spade bit and drill em full of holes (moisture catcher)
Cover with dirt and rocks. They'll rot out on their own in 4-5 years.

Discounts on Montague Folding Bikes
Best-ever Opportunity on Bugout Bikes!

BUY NOW!
http://www.safecastle.com/montague-folding-bikes.aspx

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solar HYDRO Backpack Fresh Water Purification System
Clean water in any emergency or in remotest of places

BUY NOW!
http://www.safecastle.com/solar-hydro-backpack-fresh-water-purification-plant-2.aspx

A Safecastle Exclusive: Get Freebies above with every purchase. Only for this week!
List: $1,397.00
SALE PRICE: $1,197.00
Save: $200 + Get Freebies Worth $130

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Cool Cabana
Protect yourself from the sun with 50+ UV protection
Sun protective UPF 50 cotton poly canvas
Price: $99.99
Members Save $10 Extra

BUY NOW!
http://www.safecastle.com/new-cool-cabanas---classic-navy.aspx
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10