Author Topic: Inline fuse for 1000w inverter  (Read 662 times)

Offline fortunateson01

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Inline fuse for 1000w inverter
« on: September 04, 2017, 08:14:02 PM »
Setting up a battery bank for my home, trying to follow Steven Harris information from the podcast and his website.  I did not see anything or remember hearing anything about him installing a inline fuse on this system, but I have seen others who have.  Is this something I need to be concerned with?  I don't think I'm going to be getting that close to 1000 watts.  The inverter is 1000w continuous/2000w peak.  Any other info would be appreciated.  The battery being used is a group 24 marine battery.
And that's nothin' but plain and simple old-fashioned communism...

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Inline fuse for 1000w inverter
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 08:37:48 PM »
  You need the fuse to avoid catastrophic failure. It will,in the event your inverter or primary power cable fails,protect you from the resulting fire and associated troubles. Even your auto has a fusable link for this same reason. A type ANL fuse of 100 amps or so is low cost insurance.

Link to one of many choices

https://www.amazon.com/Baomain-ANL-100A-Electrical-Protection-holder/dp/B01MSP5AV6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1504578958&sr=8-4&keywords=100+amp+anl+fuse+with+holder
Why is it that the same people who use science to convince you of Global Warming,refuse DNA Science that proves you are male or female.

Government solves few problems that it does not first create.

Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 09:06:19 AM »
I use 200 amp ANL fuses on my battery bank:

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 09:24:14 AM »
  Also,for under $10,you can get an 80 amp circuit breaker like one I use on a portable battery/inverter and have a good fast ,manual shutdown when the smoke starts.

https://www.amazon.com/Asdomo-12V-24V-Waterproof-Circuit-Inverter/dp/B01CZDY4JW/ref=sr_1_7?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1504624875&sr=1-7&keywords=12+volt+circuit+breaker
Why is it that the same people who use science to convince you of Global Warming,refuse DNA Science that proves you are male or female.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 08:19:36 PM »
Thanks Carl, I'm going to put a couple of those in my cart, just to back up the fused I currently am using.  That's a good price, like 1/4 what they're charging down at the auto parts store.

Will hit the "buy" button soon.  Need to get that spare inflatable goat in before they next storm threatens.  ;)

Artes sunt magis quam instrumenta.

Offline fortunateson01

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 09:34:03 PM »
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. 
And that's nothin' but plain and simple old-fashioned communism...

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 03:40:58 AM »
Thanks Carl, I'm going to put a couple of those in my cart, just to back up the fused I currently am using.  That's a good price, like 1/4 what they're charging down at the auto parts store.

Will hit the "buy" button soon.  Need to get that spare inflatable goat in before they next storm threatens.  ;)

I have been using exactly this breaker on a couple projects for over 4 years as both a power cut-off and protection device. It has proven a solid choice and does it's job well so far.