Author Topic: punch holes in Ikea ceramic sink  (Read 7594 times)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
punch holes in Ikea ceramic sink
« on: June 20, 2015, 06:33:05 PM »
I have had to put my main house 2nd shower tiling on hold, since we missed the window of time for it.At least we got the toilet plumbing on that one done.  Now, we have to finish the unfinished studio apartment before UC students look for fall housing. This is an unfinished project from oldest dd before she left to get married and all.

Sink for the project is the Ikea Domsjo ceramic farmhouse sink. We have owned this since right before she left. I picked up a faucet from the habitat for humanity re-store, unused, nice, but 3 holes needed. This sink, when you look underneath has cutouts in the ceramic for this. The ceramic is scored at least halfway thru on the bottom, and on the top is little sticky dots in the center of these circles. The internet is failing me, I see that somehow a picture of someone using a nailpunch from the top and knocking out these holes ? But, no real instruction. Ikea has no instruction on it, I may try calling customer service  :rofl:

Has anyone done this or seen it done ?

And then, will need to see if the nice plumber will come out as the water pipes under the sink are too high and interfere with mounting this sink ! Which of course will require drywall cutting out....

Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: punch holes in Ikea ceramic sink
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 08:51:41 PM »
Are you able to post a picture of it?

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline David in MN

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 05:31:42 AM »
Well...

The proper way is a little artistic and looks like it requires skill...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2X17PEnG3s

But I'd probably use a ceramic drill bit as shown here. Be careful your hole match the faucet before you drill!

http://www.365drills.com/wordpress/?p=526
"See the problem with statements like that is it scares off a lot of good people who deserve the investment returns that are only available in the stock market." Freelancer

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 10:11:59 PM »
Well...

The proper way is a little artistic and looks like it requires skill...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2X17PEnG3s

But I'd probably use a ceramic drill bit as shown here. Be careful your hole match the faucet before you drill!

http://www.365drills.com/wordpress/?p=526

Yeah, that Franke video I saw, but it SKIPS everything in between. It shows a tap, and then him cleaning up the edges !

It would be less expensive for us to buy a new one hole faucet than a diamond drill bit -- so......hm... I will call customer service.....I wonder if anyone picks up the phone and knows anything at IKEA ? I guess we may find out. Oldest dd bought this IKEA stuff. I put the cabinets in a year before last, no problem, I generlly speak IKEA pretty well, they just dont say anything in the sink assembly cartoons about these punchouts

Offline strangetanks

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 06:37:16 AM »
I use punches designed for cutting holes in electrical boxes haha...but most people don't have those handy.

Use a hole saw. I looks like a cylindrical sawblade with a drill bit in the middle.  They might tell you it won't work on metal, but I've done it a bunch of time, works fine.

Offline strangetanks

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 06:38:09 AM »
Oh sorry, misread that. I was thinking of a stainless steel sink.

Offline kckndrgn

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Ryans Turnings
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 08:48:36 AM »
Yeah, that Franke video I saw, but it SKIPS everything in between. It shows a tap, and then him cleaning up the edges !
No, I think that's exactly what's happening, there's nothing in between.

1st tap - puts a hole in the middle where the center divot is.  Subsequent taps are chipping away at the material until you reach the scored outer circle for the final size.

Without the scoring that was built in it would chip out/break more than you wanted.

Here's another one doing the same thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChwCEHwfnto

My hobby - Bolt Action pens and more: http://ryansturnings.etsy.com

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 03:13:51 PM »
As I suspected, after finding the hidden telephone number and spendind an extreme amount of time on the phone - the official Ikea answer is : There are no options to punch out holes. This is all some design stuff from the manufacturer that has nothing to do with Ikea. Ikea has no idea why there are little dot stickers on the top of the sink showing the exact center of the punch holes.

Offline kckndrgn

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Ryans Turnings
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 03:28:07 PM »
Well, could you call a local plumber and see if they will drill/punch out the holes for you?

My hobby - Bolt Action pens and more: http://ryansturnings.etsy.com

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 03:44:21 PM »
We have one of those Domsjo sinks (double bowl version) in our kitchen.  I wouldn't go near that thing with a punch.  The ceramic in that area is very fragile.  I broke one of the rear corners off our first sink just lifting it.  Installing the replacement had me nervous as hell, but I did notice that they had made some design changes between the first one we had and the replacement, to reinforce some weaker areas.  Once installed, the sink has been problem-free for five years, but whacking it with a hammer and punch?  I'm not that much of a gambler.  I'd just buy a one-hole faucet or ceramic hole saw and avoid the drama.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” - Patrick Henry

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 05:06:24 PM »
We have one of those Domsjo sinks (double bowl version) in our kitchen.  I wouldn't go near that thing with a punch.  The ceramic in that area is very fragile.  I broke one of the rear corners off our first sink just lifting it.  Installing the replacement had me nervous as hell, but I did notice that they had made some design changes between the first one we had and the replacement, to reinforce some weaker areas.  Once installed, the sink has been problem-free for five years, but whacking it with a hammer and punch?  I'm not that much of a gambler.  I'd just buy a one-hole faucet or ceramic hole saw and avoid the drama.

Sounds like good advice since you have actually worked with these ! Which faucet did you get ? When I have been to the sore, I have not been impressed with the faucets, at least teh inexpensive ones, so this is why I didnt want to get one of theirs. This will be a rental unit

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 08:26:04 PM »
We have the Ringskar faucet with the pull-out.  It's pretty good, but I wouldn't spend that much for a rental unit kitchen. 
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.” - Patrick Henry

Offline bcksknr

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 08:19:55 AM »
    If you can get a brass or copper tube the same diameter as the factory scored circle, this might work. Buy a can of abrasive grit (maybe someone knows how course or fine), maybe valve grinding compound. If you can rig up the tube (maybe with a wooden plug and a center bolt) and chuck it in a low speed drill, you then slowly rotate the tube where you want the hole, with a slurry of water and abrasive (not too much water). The soft brass or copper will catch and become embedded with the grit and and slowly grind its way through the ceramic. It would be best to go from the "good" side to the back, to avoid a "breakout" that might show (maybe this doesn't matter).
     This is basically how optical shops cut a circular hole in a certain type of glass telescope mirror. Use low speed and low pressure. Recharge the abrasive when the cutting action slows. Lots of "maybes".
Today was yesterday's tomorrow.

Offline mnotlyon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 09:48:12 AM »
I would take it to a counter top shop. I'll bet they'll pop the holes in there for just a few bucks.

Offline witch

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 08:08:56 PM »
You can grab a ceramic bit or hole saw to do it. However it is a 2 person job. One to drill and the other to continually spray water on the bit and ceramic to keep them from overheating. 

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 12:48:54 AM »
I am moving discussions to a more general thread for the entire project. But, here are pictures finally of what the sink comes with for punch outs.

Here is a picture of the underside of the sink showing the partially done punch outs

The top of the sink comes with little stickers showing the center of each punchout area.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 07:23:28 AM »
so is that your sink?  How did you get the hole done? 
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 08:43:31 AM »
so is that your sink?  How did you get the hole done?

I comes with the one hole. I own a brand new 3 hole faucet though -- supposedly it has these punchouts for more --

Most likely I am just going to go buy a 1 hole faucet since everyone here says it is risky to punch out . I am broke, but that means I dont want a broke sink !

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2015, 02:23:08 PM »
Mountainmoma, do you have access to a Dremel tool?  If so, you might be able to use a tile-cutting bit in it to drill through the center, then slowly grind out to the edges of the hole.  The hole doesn't have to be perfectly circular, just large enough for the faucet to clear it.

There's a type of tile bit I've used that's made by the RotoZip company, called "X-Bits", I think.  They come two or three to a pack for around $10, and look like little 1/8" diameter rasps.  They'll do a good job cutting through porcelain tile, and the sink isn't much thicker than tile in that area.  You could buy a couple of cheap ceramic tiles to practice on, so you can learn how the tool cuts.  I think something like that, which is a slower, more controllable process than whacking it with a punch, is entirely do-able on this sink.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2015, 02:29:04 PM »
Mountainmoma, do you have access to a Dremel tool?  If so, you might be able to use a tile-cutting bit in it to drill through the center, then slowly grind out to the edges of the hole.  The hole doesn't have to be perfectly circular, just large enough for the faucet to clear it.

There's a type of tile bit I've used that's made by the RotoZip company, called "X-Bits", I think.  They come two or three to a pack for around $10, and look like little 1/8" diameter rasps.  They'll do a good job cutting through porcelain tile, and the sink isn't much thicker than tile in that area.  You could buy a couple of cheap ceramic tiles to practice on, so you can learn how the tool cuts.  I think something like that, which is a slower, more controllable process than whacking it with a punch, is entirely do-able on this sink.

+1  I like the buy a couple of cheap tiles to practice on.  You may even be able to get broken ones from HD or Lowes for free?
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 08:25:42 PM »
I called the granite counter place, but the receptionist who was supposed to ask never got back to me. Today, I found out that I DO have a diamond hole drill the right size, it has diamond dust on the edges and a regular bit in the middle -- see if I am going to get brave now --

I realy have no idea why I have this bit -- The link someone posted earlier in this thread shows the diamond edged hole saw without the middle drill bit, but mine has the bit in the middle, and keeping water in the hole ? My cordless drill does have an adjustment at the end, which I guess is the clutch..

Offline witch

• Prepper
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2015, 09:44:29 PM »
you don't have to keep water in it but just keep it wet with a spray bottle. if not it will get hot and the bit or the sink may crack. Or the bit will loose hardness and not cut anymore.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 07:01:55 PM »
No, I think that's exactly what's happening, there's nothing in between.

1st tap - puts a hole in the middle where the center divot is.  Subsequent taps are chipping away at the material until you reach the scored outer circle for the final size.

Without the scoring that was built in it would chip out/break more than you wanted.

Here's another one doing the same thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChwCEHwfnto

I got brave today, a 1/4 inch punch had turned up in the great garage clean of 2015 that we have been working on, and I went for it.

You are right, that is exactly how it happens. When you hit it, it only cracks the top glaze but pops out the whole punch out circle part underneath ! I didnt realy hit either spot hard enough, so I only had most of the circle pop out, but then I still was able to complete it no problem.

I would take a picture, but we do not have a working camera right now. We put the sink in the living room on the carpet, so it was both firm and soft.Shoved a few things under parts of it to hold it nice and steady.  SO, of course, I do have a mess, but I'm single so it's not a problem.

WHen my dd gets back with her newly fixed phone next week, I will try and take a picture. But, I am not a skillful remodeller by any means, just brave. I figured they wouldnt have put those little green stickers on the sink over the punch outs if you weren't supposed to use them, and other solutions were beginning to sound risker.

Thank you all for your advice, I am sure the other ways would have worked as well. But, now you know, one of us now HAS done it successfully, and it wasnt hard.

Offline Kierenmccarthy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 10:17:46 AM »
Exact same situation for me and found this post enormously helpful as it gave me the courage to risk it.

So I'm adding this reply so anyone in future can know that two people were able to easily punch through holes in the sink.

My approach: a proper hole punch (I already had one). Stuck a bit of duct tape over where the center of the hole was (in my case four inches from the centre of the centre hole). A firm bang with a hammer and the punch hole fell out the bottom. Then, slowly and carefully inched my way around the hole using the hammer and punch, slowly expanding the hole until it was the same size as the cut hole underneath.

Did it twice - first for a dishwasher air gap; second for a soap dispenser. Not difficult, just requires decent tools and a little patience. Much easier that drilling etc.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2017, 12:51:49 AM »
well I am too late to offer my help but here how the installer in ours did it, a very meticulous cabinet maker....
He further weakened the circumference with a small drill bit making many holes. THEN he punched it out