Author Topic: Permanent Campsite  (Read 3186 times)

Offline michaelnz

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Permanent Campsite
« on: June 11, 2016, 05:06:26 PM »
I am looking to have a campsite in the middle of our bush section. I am thinking of leaving an army surplus tent up over summer.  I have considered a building a wooden platform as a base and tent stove.

Has anyone done anything like this?
Any tips?

Edit: corrected typo in subject
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:58:24 AM by fritz_monroe »

Offline GreyWolf

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Permanent Campsite
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 05:26:05 PM »
Be careful wild animals, you'll be in for a nasty surprise some day when you show up. Critters love places like that.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:59:07 AM by fritz_monroe »

Offline michaelnz

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 06:10:59 PM »
nothing bigger than rabbits so should be all good. Will keep an eye on it though.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:59:28 AM by fritz_monroe »

Offline 1greenman

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • The Healthy Family Variety Channel
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 06:39:47 PM »
Critters was my thought and concern too.

Spiders, snakes, racoons, rats, mice and the ever troublesome honey-badger

Ok, maybe not the last one.  Try not eat any food inside or two to three crumbs will tempt 10 mice eat holes and come inside.   

To keep some animals away you may have success with urinating near/close around your platform.  If getting haircut, save hair and spread around to put strong human scent there.  Not sure either of these practices will do any to deter mice, but is likely to deter skunks and coyotes.

Could you setup platform, but take down tent each time and store it on site, maybe inside two buckets stacked - mouths together.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 07:59:57 AM by fritz_monroe »
We have three YouTube channels for your viewing pleasure and education:
http://youtube.com/c/HealthyFamilyVarietyChannel
It is mostly Fossil hunting and other treasure hunting and some precious metals
Nature, Insects and spider channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRJ3RvAznL6qR0MR4yYOeG

Coin and precious metals education and investing: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsBid5JoIRbL9MkfuUFIZjA

Offline michaelnz

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 09:50:06 PM »
"Spiders, snakes, racoons, rats, mice and the ever troublesome honey-badger"

Luckily I live in New Zealand so the spiders are mostly harmless, snakes and no existent, a few rates & mice but unfortunately no honey badgers.  I hear that a Honey badger is one fearless mother fucker! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

Thanks for the great responses. Fantastic to find a forum where people focus on a sensible answer rather than the typo in the title.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:00:17 AM by fritz_monroe »

Offline keebler

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 12:34:30 PM »
I did that "once" a nice tent, Metal poles all staked down. well the critters that live in the woods "won" ate holes in it to get in. then a nice tree decided to drop a limb on it-, so much for the 200.oo I had in it.at least I had (1) good weekend to enjoy it. I just left it there. im sure the mice in the woods lived under it all winter.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:00:34 AM by fritz_monroe »
single. m. Senior, prepper, solar, Vandweller, Camper, Boondocker. living in the woods of southern Va.

Offline Finster

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 01:00:11 AM »
you need to make sure there are no one else in the area who are tending the weeds, if you know what I mean ; )
 we have had problems with certain types of people when it comes to harvesting time they  are very sensitive to having  others around even when we are the landowners and they are planting illegally on DOC or our land.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:01:07 AM by fritz_monroe »

endurance

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 03:09:44 AM »
Even without food stored inside I think mice will have their way with the tent, as will the sun. UV light will weaken the fabric and mice will chew holes in it just for nest building materials. I think you're better off building a platform to set your tent up on, but taking it down and storing it in a salvage drum on site. Leaving it up will dramatically shorten it's lifespan.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:01:24 AM by fritz_monroe »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 06:51:37 AM »
I have to agree your tent is not going to survive for long. Mice will find it before long.

Cedar

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:01:45 AM by fritz_monroe »
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 03:28:22 PM »
Check out Survival Lilly's YouTube Channel, specifically her semi-permanent setup. I'm thinking of setting up something like this on my land as a fun place to practice bushcraft skills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_n1_-seZkU

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:02:06 AM by fritz_monroe »
Zombie Squad - We make dead things deader.

"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
~Winston Churchill

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 03:54:02 PM »
Here is the setup I built on our property.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=57817.msg678369#msg678369

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:02:24 AM by fritz_monroe »

Offline kindersir

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2017, 09:32:12 PM »
I have thought about building a large lean to with a cheap tarp to make it water proof but not leaving the tent there, but packing it in each time.  If critters are there or insects you could blast them with bug spray if necessary, then erect you tent.  The lean to would just provide additional shelter, or you could cook and such under it and set up your tent away from the cook area.  You never want to cook and tent too close together if possible.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:02:42 AM by fritz_monroe »

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2017, 11:20:26 PM »
possibly a yurt with a heavy canvas wall could be used. Building a yurt frame is not hard but a little time consuming. Fitting a custom canvas to it is not as easy. I doubt most tents left unattended may last. Some material may deteriorate from UV rays or get blown over in heavy winds if you are not around. I would build a tent platform which will be good for keeping the floor and everything dry but leaving up a tent, I am not sure about. I heard something about an LL Bean tent that goes up super fast:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/91971?page=bigelow-easy-pitch-folding-cabin-tent

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:03:04 AM by fritz_monroe »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 11:49:45 PM »
Here is the setup I built on our property.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=57817.msg678369#msg678369

BN's site is lovely!!! I did not sit in it, but I peered through the door with SP.

Cedar

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:03:20 AM by fritz_monroe »
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2017, 07:57:48 AM »
Could you setup platform, but take down tent each time and store it on site, maybe inside two buckets stacked - mouths together.

This is what I'd do if I was going to do the permanent set up thing.  The only negatives I can see is you have to put it up and take it down each time and since it is in a convenient bundle, it would be more accessible to thieves.  But the thief thing is a very minor concern to me.

Edit to add: You'll find that the folks around here are about getting it done.  They don't care about the minutia, like typos and that sort of thing.  But since you mentioned it, I went through the thread and corrected the subject line
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:05:30 AM by fritz_monroe »
F_M
Links currently broken. Will fix them shortly
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2017, 04:09:07 PM »
The trick to leaving up a tent/yurt year around is to seal it as best as possible and spray peppermint oil in it regularly (every 2-3 weeks). I used a staple gun to pin down the tent flaps, and steel wool in the corners.

Before we started doing this, we saw a few field mice, but none since. I also keep everything in trunks or totes. Even our utensil are in totes with lids in the drawers. 
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 04:14:24 PM by Black November »

Offline Knecht

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 05:48:54 PM »
Build a yurt :) I live in one and it's great. There are how-tos for making them, all over the web. I'll be happy to advice if you need.
Get my custom handmade stuff at www.customhistory.cz

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 04:05:32 PM »
Build a yurt :) I live in one and it's great. There are how-tos for making them, all over the web. I'll be happy to advice if you need.
If you go with a yurt, search the forum for Surfivor's thread about his yurt.  I seem to recall it was a pretty good thread.
F_M
Links currently broken. Will fix them shortly
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 04:41:24 PM »
I also recommend doing a cost/time analysis. Our tent is only a temporary shelter until we build a home. Originally I was going to build a tiny cabin, but I couldn't justify the cost, if we are planning to build a home in 3-4 years.

Figure out how long you plan to live in the a yurt and divide it by the total cost like a car payment.