Author Topic: Mainstay canning flats  (Read 3273 times)

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Mainstay canning flats
« on: August 04, 2016, 09:59:27 PM »
No more for me. Had some trouble with the first box we used. Notice the wrinkles on the sides.
While the jars were still ho hot, and had not popped, I pushed the wrinkled sections down (not popping them) and waited till they popped.
I had 5 quarts do this, but yet they all ended up sealing (so far).

I noticed some bad reviews of these lids last year while on the hunt for good lid prices, but had already purchased these. I have left, probably 3 dozen lids, and 5 dozen lids with rings.
I will not be using anymore of them.

My old camera is getting tired. Closeups are not very good. Lens is scratched....etc
Up and coming Prepper (2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
Re: Mainstay canning flats
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 05:26:55 AM »
I use all ball flats for canning and save the mainstay ones for vacuum sealing-they seem to work fine for that with my food saver attachment. 
Check out my blog: Frugal Upstate 
Frugal-Sustainable-Prepared

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 07:51:24 AM »
Hey I hadn't thought of using them for the food saver. Great idea!!

+1 coming your way!!!  ;D

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 11:21:32 AM »
Never even heard of mainstay. Tattler, Ball and Kerr is the norm here

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 01:39:54 PM »
I bought these from Azure Standard. https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/28076/ Orchard Road. Very good lids, thick metal, thick rubber stuff on edge. I have used for pressure canning and water bath, and the price is fantastic, 24 boxes of 12 lids for $36 comes out to .... lets see.....$1.50 per box of 12, which is a .12ish each. They sell other places and have good reviews

The packs of ball lids at the hardware store are more than double this
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 01:55:13 PM by mountainmoma »
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 01:47:17 PM »
you are not the only one who has had troubles with mainstay http://canning-granny.1078138.n5.nabble.com/Warning-about-canning-lids-td865.html

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 03:22:17 PM »
Never even heard of mainstay. Tattler, Ball and Kerr is the norm here

Cedar

Usually Ball, Kerr, and Golden Harvest lids here. Bought the Mainstays at Walmart, their brand.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 03:25:08 PM »
I bought these from Azure Standard. https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/28076/ Orchard Road. Very good lids, thick metal, thick rubber stuff on edge. I have used for pressure canning and water bath, and the price is fantastic, 24 boxes of 12 lids for $36 comes out to .... lets see.....$1.50 per box of 12, which is a .12ish each. They sell other places and have good reviews

The packs of ball lids at the hardware store are more than double this

Good price. I bought a whole single, bulk pack from the Amish store about an hour away early this year.
$19. and change for (can't remember hafta look) xxx amount of lids. It figured about .16 each.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 03:29:10 PM »
you are not the only one who has had troubles with mainstay http://canning-granny.1078138.n5.nabble.com/Warning-about-canning-lids-td865.html

Good link.  ;) Yes lots of trouble there.
Hey another time sinkhole I will bookmark. Lol

Just finished 15 pints of salsa. Apparently I had a leftover stray Mainstay in the box of flats and rings. Wife just pulled the last jars out and said 1 was all wrinkled up.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 06:25:27 PM »
Good price. I bought a whole single, bulk pack from the Amish store about an hour away early this year.
$19. and change for (can't remember hafta look) xxx amount of lids. It figured about .16 each.

Yes, you hve resources that do not exist out here. No Amish stores, and no Walmsrts either. We DO have the cool, trendy (and expensive) suburban homesteading type store

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 09:16:17 AM »
following

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 05:53:27 AM »
Hey I hadn't thought of using them for the food saver. Great idea!!

You are welcome!  The mainstay jars are fine, and cheaper than ball (plus their jelly size ar super cute) but I always replace the flats they come with with Ball, that leaves me with flats I don't want to use for canning, which is how I figured out to use them for vacuum sealing--because I hate to waste things!  Also, pro tip-  I've done the free "pick up today"
Or "site to store" online ordering of the mainstay jars from my Walmart to get the jars I want if they don't seem to have enough on the shelf.
Check out my blog: Frugal Upstate 
Frugal-Sustainable-Prepared

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 08:39:08 AM »
Sweet! Yes I use the over 50.00 free shipping quite a bit.
I haven't done the site to store yet.

Did more salsa and had another mainstay flat creep in. Lol. Musta of had an out of the box flat in the box we keep rings and flats in, a few at a time.
It wrinkled up like the others, but sealed.

Offline Redman

• Prepper
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 04:45:30 AM »
Glad I ran across this as I almost bought some the other day. Got Kerr instead. I do use the Mainstay wide mouth plastic lids for stuff that isn't processed. I haven't seen those in regular mouth.
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Ain't no such thing as free shipping either ~ Redman

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2017, 08:17:44 AM »
Yes. Those aren't much count Red