Author Topic: Episode 2025 Thyroid Problems Emergency Preparedness  (Read 465 times)

Offline Mr J

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Episode 2025 Thyroid Problems Emergency Preparedness
« on: July 01, 2017, 10:35:32 AM »
This is response to Sam's question that starts at 44:00 minutes on Episode 2025

I too have dealt with hypothyroidism for myself and my family for 30 years, I am not a doctor or play one. But this is what I have done to prepare for SHTF with this medical issue.

First, hats off to your persistence on the diagnosis! It's very difficult to find a doctor that will treat this. My suggestions, The first step is to try to find the correct levels by doing blood work with your endocrinologist.

Be patient it takes a lot of time to find the correct medication and the correct dose. Typically you'll take medication for a month, do blood work make adjustments and repeat, until you dial in the correct dose. The reason why this is so difficult is the synthetic thyroid medication is very potent and is measured in micro-grams (MMG), even a 10 MMG change you will notice a difference.   

I know Doc Bones suggested Desiccated Bovine Thyroid, but would advise against this. I was taking this for my Hypothyroidism at first and it did work, but I found the dosage was very erratic from pill to pill. There is also many compounds in it you may not need T3 and or T4, as was described by my endocrinologist it would be like filling 87 octane in a Ferrari, yes it will run but run like crap.

Stick with the synthetic medication, it's much more consistent with dose. I would also suggest stick with brand name, I have found issues with generic brands as well. Name brand synthetic medication such as "Sythroid" are pretty inexpensive around $30 for 30 pills without insurance.

A couple of other suggestions. This is what I've found taking "Sythroid". Take in the morning every day at the same time, even on sleep in days. Do not eat for 45 min to 1 hour after taking medication. I also crush pill in half with my teeth to ensure that it will dissolve, the pill is pretty hard and compressed. Go in and get blood work 1-2 time a year to make sure levels are okay and have not changed, mine has changed a couple of times over 30 years.

Now part of my preps on stock piling. I've done a couple of things. One is find an mom and pop or trusted Canadian pharmacy, bring in you prescription have them fill it. Tell them you have no insurance and will pay full price, again cost is pretty cheap for synthetic thyroid meds. I got mine for around $1 a pill. Meds will last anywhere from 1 to 2 years on the shelf. The nice thing is if you order 90 pills they will typically just give you the original sealed bottle from the factory and stick a label on it.

The other thing I have done, my insurance covers 90 days of meds by mail. So typicality I will call in my refill early about three weeks. When the pills come in the mail stock pile away the three weeks of the previous meds and put aside. Keep doing this and you can add to your stock three weeks a refill, this will take longer but there is no cost.

Also you can ask your endocrinologist for sample packs, they usually keep some on hand to dial in your dose. The sample packs are 30 days worth of bubble packs and are great for a Bug out Bag.

Hope this helps.