Author Topic: MAP: The Largest Employer In Every US State Reveals Something Ridiculous  (Read 2481 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran

Personal note: I find it rather odd I live in one of the few states not dominated by Wal-Mart, healthcare or higher education.

Full article:
http://thefederalistpapers.org/us/map-the-largest-employer-in-every-us-state-reveals-something-ridiculous

LVWood

Re: MAP: The Largest Employer In Every US State Reveals Something Ridiculous
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 09:42:29 AM »
Imagine if Walmart ever took a dive.
1.4 million US employees on the street.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 10:02:33 AM »
Imagine if Walmart ever took a dive.
1.4 million US employees on the street.

Even in the extremely unlikely scenario where all 1.4 million were all spontaneously unemployed, that's still less than 1% of the entire US workforce as of 2016.

I think the bigger picture is not employment security, but rather influence.  If there's legislation viewed favorable to Wal-Mart, we have a decent idea which regions would support it.
Likewise if there are proposed changes to healthcare or funding for public universities, many states will be sensitive to those.

You can't blame a person for serving their own interests, but as those interests gradually consolidate to serve a few large parties, I think that's a dangerous situation long term.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 10:12:14 AM »
DIA is the largest private employer in CO? The other black states make sense, but this one is an outlier. I thought for sure it would be Kaiser Permanente, or CU.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 10:15:38 AM »
  Just wait till Walmart launches their Nationwide Health Care ....

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 10:25:06 AM »
  Just wait till Walmart launches their Nationwide Health Care ....

You kid, but from a logistical stand point that makes sense.

Here's a tinfoil hat scenario to kick off your Monday:

There is a nation-wide pandemic and there's a mad rush to vaccinate 300m+ people.  I can think of worse ideas than setting up mobile clinics in Wal-Mart parking lots.  Of course some military reserve personnel to maintain order would be advised...

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 10:40:59 AM »
Interesting, if not really surprising.  Given the Wal-mart pay structure, I'm not sure the guy stacking the shelves would vote in sync with most of the executives.  So I'm more concerned about that states where the leading employer is a college and health provider.  They have more to lose if something were to happen to their industry, so would be more likely vote lock-step and impact the state's tax base.

I wonder what this map would have looked like in 1980?  Or 1960? 

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 10:49:25 AM »
Interesting, if not really surprising.  Given the Wal-mart pay structure, I'm not sure the guy stacking the shelves would vote in sync with most of the executives.  So I'm more concerned about that states where the leading employer is a college and health provider.  They have more to lose if something were to happen to their industry, so would be more likely vote lock-step and impact the state's tax base.

I wonder what this map would have looked like in 1980?  Or 1960?

There may be much truth there, but there are some locations that are so impoverished, a steady gig stocking shelves is a very desirable. Hard to say if Jim-Bob earning min. wage will vote along company lines, or differently.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 11:02:21 AM »
You kid, but from a logistical stand point that makes sense.

Here's a tinfoil hat scenario to kick off your Monday:

There is a nation-wide pandemic and there's a mad rush to vaccinate 300m+ people.  I can think of worse ideas than setting up mobile clinics in Wal-Mart parking lots.  Of course some military reserve personnel to maintain order would be advised...

NO,I don't kid about this. Most Walmarts will soon have day clinics for minor needs of people and there is talk of insurance.....
My local SuperCenter has clinic services with flu shots ,bandaging minor wounds ,and DR prescribing of drugs ...most anything but surgery.

My local store also offers 'personal shoppers' that will shop for you and walk you groceries,etc out to your car for you to pick them up....
soon home (local) delivery of products is planned for stock boys to pick up some extra work and talk of an UBER LIKE service is rumored.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 11:05:38 AM »
And most of those UC employees are not needed, the managment areas are so, so bloated. It would be different if these were teachers.....

I believe other charts I have seen show the same to be true of healthcare employees. Most are not providing healthcare services but are actually denying our claims.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 11:07:19 AM »
And most of those UC employees are not needed, the managment areas are so, so bloated. It would be different if these were teachers.....

I believe other charts I have seen show the same to be true of healthcare employees. Most are not providing healthcare services but are actually denying our claims.

Or any technology company.  For each engineer there are two project managers.  One asking if the work is done, and the other finding a reason to delay the project.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 11:13:36 AM »
Or any technology company.  For each engineer there are two project managers.  One asking if the work is done, and the other finding a reason to delay the project.

I bet a Walmart employee could do that too....

Online David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 11:50:11 AM »
It's a comforting feeling when you realize you're on the third manager who hasn't even seen the test plant you actually work in.

As much concern I have for that map, it bears in mind that 100 years ago they would all be farmer. (I guess not technically because it's not an employer but you get it.)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 12:11:32 PM »
It's a comforting feeling when you realize you're on the third manager who hasn't even seen the test plant you actually work in.

As much concern I have for that map, it bears in mind that 100 years ago they would all be farmer. (I guess not technically because it's not an employer but you get it.)

Though a notable difference from a century ago, those farmers weren't all employed by 1 of 3 giant conglomerates.
Even if some disease took out the soy crop, wheat and corn prevailed.  Or if farmer Jones made a risky play over extending his loans (betting the farm), that didn't disrupt the national food supply when he went bust.

At the aggregate/national level, thousands of independent businesses are far more robust.  The problem is growth is much slower in the aggregate, and given the modern debt based economy, it's grow or die.  :(

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 03:26:38 PM »
Interesting about Walmart. But if you look at NJ wakefern is the parent company to ShopRite the biggest grocery retailer in nj.

osubuckeye4

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 02:03:13 PM »
I'm surprised Amazon isn't on there yet.

Seems like they have fulfillment centers popping up everywhere these days.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 06:12:42 PM »
Interesting, if not really surprising.  Given the Wal-mart pay structure, I'm not sure the guy stacking the shelves would vote in sync with most of the executives. 

There may be much truth there, but there are some locations that are so impoverished, a steady gig stocking shelves is a very desirable. Hard to say if Jim-Bob earning min. wage will vote along company lines, or differently.

You mean the Jim-Bob who can't get more than 20 hours at their Walmart place of employment because Walmart doesn't want to pay insurance and benefits?

“It found that a single Walmart Supercenter cost taxpayers between $904,542 and $1.75 million per year, or between $3,015 and $5,815 on average for each of 300 workers.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2014/04/15/report-walmart-workers-cost-taxpayers-6-2-billion-in-public-assistance/amp/

https://www.disabled-world.com/editorials/guilty.php

Walmart for instance only pays half their disabled workers wages, which is 20-34 hrs a week so they do not have to pay benefits. The other half comes from US taxpayers in the form of substancies.

Think all those medical companies are probably doing the same thing?

Cedar

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 06:18:00 AM »
I'm surprised Amazon isn't on there yet.

Seems like they have fulfillment centers popping up everywhere these days.

But they employ relatively few.  Amazon is huge at the national level of commerce, but each fulfillment and sort center only employs 1,000-3,000 I believe.  They only have one of each in each state (almost) and maybe a few in CA and TX.  One large hospital in one city employees far more than all Amazon facilities in the entire state.  Amazon is huge in terms of amount of product moved, but very streamlined when it comes to actual bodies.  And more and more of those functions are going to be automated in the very near future.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 08:32:55 AM »
But they employ relatively few.  Amazon is huge at the national level of commerce, but each fulfillment and sort center only employs 1,000-3,000 I believe.  They only have one of each in each state (almost) and maybe a few in CA and TX.  One large hospital in one city employees far more than all Amazon facilities in the entire state.  Amazon is huge in terms of amount of product moved, but very streamlined when it comes to actual bodies.  And more and more of those functions are going to be automated in the very near future.

Further much of the human labor is seasonal.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 07:56:19 PM »
Further much of the human labor is seasonal.

And part-time.  Some facilities have 10 hr shifts and others only 4hr +/- 1hr shifts for the majority of workers with just a few managers on full-time.  In Oregon I believe there is just one sort center in Hillsboro and a fulfillment center being built in Troutdale.

For comparison, just one hospital location in Portland (Providence metro) has over 3,000 employees.  Providence has several hospitals in the Portland metro area as well as across the state.  Plus, Providence is just one of the Hospitals in the state.  There is OHSU (university hospital), Kaiser Permanente, and Legacy system statewide, as well as smaller independent or specialty hospitals.

I would think after Providence and Kaiser that perhaps Intel would be a leading employer.  The Hillsboro campuses are the single largest location for Intel worldwide.  Maybe 20,000 employees there?

If measured by "customer wait time" rather than number of employees then the USPS would have to rule in all fifty states, or be hotly contested by each State's DMV!

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 10:12:12 AM »
And part-time.  Some facilities have 10 hr shifts and others only 4hr +/- 1hr shifts for the majority of workers with just a few managers on full-time.  In Oregon I believe there is just one sort center in Hillsboro and a fulfillment center being built in Troutdale.

For comparison, just one hospital location in Portland (Providence metro) has over 3,000 employees.  Providence has several hospitals in the Portland metro area as well as across the state.  Plus, Providence is just one of the Hospitals in the state.  There is OHSU (university hospital), Kaiser Permanente, and Legacy system statewide, as well as smaller independent or specialty hospitals.

I would think after Providence and Kaiser that perhaps Intel would be a leading employer.  The Hillsboro campuses are the single largest location for Intel worldwide.  Maybe 20,000 employees there?

If measured by "customer wait time" rather than number of employees then the USPS would have to rule in all fifty states, or be hotly contested by each State's DMV!

I've heard all is not well at Intel for employees.

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2017, 11:45:41 AM »
“It found that a single Walmart Supercenter cost taxpayers between $904,542 and $1.75 million per year, or between $3,015 and $5,815 on average for each of 300 workers.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2014/04/15/report-walmart-workers-cost-taxpayers-6-2-billion-in-public-assistance/amp/

https://www.disabled-world.com/editorials/guilty.php

Walmart for instance only pays half their disabled workers wages, which is 20-34 hrs a week so they do not have to pay benefits. The other half comes from US taxpayers in the form of substancies.

Think all those medical companies are probably doing the same thing?

Cedar

I can't believe I'm about to defend Walmart.    :-\  Anywho...

Walmart also pays in about $6-7 billion in federal taxes.  More importantly, they didn't create the welfare state. 

My biggest point is that the shelf stocker vote wouldn't be based on what Walmart wants.  Jim-Bob would vote on other interests/priorities/preferences.

osubuckeye4

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 01:39:33 PM »

They employ over 500,000 people now (post Whole Foods merger)... I suppose that is relatively few compared to the 2.3 million Wal-Mart provides, but compared to universities and hospitals I figured it might put them on the map in one of the states.

Valid point about the fulfillment and sort centers having a lot of automation.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 08:28:51 PM »
I've heard all is not well at Intel for employees.

Can't say. I retired from there a few years ago and have no interest in what goes on there anymore.  It was great work and provided for my family, but I am so damn glad to be rid of the corporate life.

Historically, Intel is poorly managed; kind of a manic-depressive cycle. In good sales times they blow money like no tomorrow buying up has-been companies/technology, manager bonuses, executive stock options, hiring thousands of more recent college grads and highly compensated "fellows", etc.  When tight times come along they nose dive into lay-offs, travel restrictions (for the worker bees at least).  They have moments of research brilliance weighed down by intervening years of complacency and incompetence.  I worked with some incredibly smart and dedicated people as well as more than a few glib, mediocre self-promoteers (which I suspect is true of most corporations).  Don't ever think today's "U.S." corporations have one iota of concern of what is good for America.  ALL global corporations detest individual national laws and restrictions and would love a one-world government they could much more easily and cheaply buy influence and have faster compliance and control over the masses. No matter how slick they profess their willing compliance. Intel, Cisco and Google were instrumental in making it possible and quickly implemented for China to have total, absolute control of the use of the Internet by its citizens.  They will sell your liberty for a buck fifty and no change.  Unfortunately, corps are where a lot of good jobs are so many of us hold our noses and put food on the table for the family.

Same for Wal-Mart.  What, twenty or so years ago they were patriotic and the ultimate US company, with a rural identity and honest low prices for the consumer.  Then they realized the bounty from cheap China labor made gadgets and decided to expand globally and now they are just as foul to the individual as any other multi-national.  They used their retail size to grind small manufacturers into the dirt.

The map is revealing in that for the most part consumer retail and large hospitals are the largest employers.  Interesting that in Washingotn Boeing is still the largest.  When you factor in all the smaller machine shops and related businesses it would be many times more massive impact.  My first computer job was in Redmond in 1981 for a small software firm doing time-share on a DEC PDP-11 and 50% of the business was assembler programming an accounting system for a Boeing subsidiary that installs industrial water recyclers for high-tech. And two of my three paternal uncles were Boeing engineers (yeah, 1968 was hard times for them!).

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 09:56:58 AM »
Interesting that in Washingotn Boeing is still the largest.  When you factor in all the smaller machine shops and related businesses it would be many times more massive impact.  My first computer job was in Redmond in 1981 for a small software firm doing time-share on a DEC PDP-11 and 50% of the business was assembler programming an accounting system for a Boeing subsidiary that installs industrial water recyclers for high-tech. And two of my three paternal uncles were Boeing engineers (yeah, 1968 was hard times for them!).

I live near the Kent Valley, and the region is filled with aerospace related firms.  Everything imaginable from metal shops to avionics to industrial supplies like safety gear is around here.
Not to mention all the normal services for that population.  Dry cleaners, sandwich shops, auto mechanics - all would suffer if the core industry decreased.

Offline bigbear

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 11:15:43 AM »
The map is revealing in that for the most part consumer retail and large hospitals are the largest employers.  Interesting that in Washingotn Boeing is still the largest.  When you factor in all the smaller machine shops and related businesses it would be many times more massive impact.  My first computer job was in Redmond in 1981 for a small software firm doing time-share on a DEC PDP-11 and 50% of the business was assembler programming an accounting system for a Boeing subsidiary that installs industrial water recyclers for high-tech. And two of my three paternal uncles were Boeing engineers (yeah, 1968 was hard times for them!).

Many other countries complain about the special treatment the US gives to Boeing, especially Canada/Bombardier and UK/Airbus.  The 'trade dispute' has been going on for decades.  Tariffs, subsidies, gov't intervention/protectionism...  Both sides do it in some way.  Both sides point the finger.
https://www.ft.com/content/2de9932c-a315-11e7-9e4f-7f5e6a7c98a2 

In protest to a recent riff, Canada said they were going to buy used Boeing F-18s from Australia.  Not sure how well that'll workout for them since the US have approval/veto power on used fighter jet sales.
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/dec/13/canada-to-buy-fleet-of-30-year-old-fighter-jets-from-australia-in-snub-to-us

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2017, 08:54:10 PM »
I live near the Kent Valley, and the region is filled with aerospace related firms.  Everything imaginable from metal shops to avionics to industrial supplies like safety gear is around here.
Not to mention all the normal services for that population.  Dry cleaners, sandwich shops, auto mechanics - all would suffer if the core industry decreased.

Years ago I worked with a guy whose dad owned a thriving machine shop (big) in Chehalis.  He got started by contracting with Boeing to supply one specific type of screw.  He had worked for Boeing as a machinist and when this bid came up he quit and set up to do it himself.  That brought in enough revenue for him to expend to more screws/ bolts, and other fasteners and for other customers.  Made me wonder just how many other hole in the wall shops supply nuts, rivets, flanges, coatings, testing, for them.  Or how about the farmer that supplies the chickens for testing windshields?  (Yes, a friend of a BIL was actually an engineer from WSU that participated in the chicken to windscreen impact testing using spring powered cannons.  Ugh)  I think this is the bright side to corporate USA, that some companies like Boeing subcontract out a ton of the work to smaller local firms.