Author Topic: California low-income residents will soon receive $500 per month, no-strings  (Read 583 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
California low-income residents will soon receive $500 per month, no-strings-attached income

I thought this may interest some ,so I post it,

Just months from now, low-income residents in Stockton, California, will receive no-strings-attached money to meet their needs, as the city lays the foundation for a universal basic income, KOVR-TV reports.

What’s the story?
The Stockton Economic Empowerment Demonstration is an experimental program introduced by Stockton Mayor Michael Tubbs that will pay low-income residents $500 per month.

“They’re written off,” Tubbs said. “They don’t have the money because there is something wrong with them, and I want to demonstrate that when given the opportunity that people, especially the people of Stockton, will make good choices and the right juices for themselves and their families.”

Another part of the program includes hiring three artists to create murals that will be “used to start a conversation on the universal basic income project so that people will take it upon themselves and go and do research on it, and see how impactful it can be for our community.”

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/03/30/california-low-income-residents-will-soon-receive-500-per-month-no-strings-attached-income

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
I predict these google results will soon be updated to show "california"

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
I predict these google results will soon be updated to show "california"

;D

In all seriousness, good for California.  I dont want to live there, be part of a system like that, or pay the taxes for it, but laboratories of democracy and all that sh*t.  I have far fewer issues with the states doing this kind of stuff than the feds, and fewer issues than that with municipalities doing it.  Getting the buy in of 330 million people for anything is a fool's errand, and busy bodies (of all political stripes) would be well served to keep their ideas in the realm of a scale that can get popular buy in.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Agree with Chem.  I don't have an issue with a state doing this, as long as I'm not paying for it. 

Of course I'm sure there's some way they can figure out how to get the rest of the states to pay for it.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
The state is not doing this. It is just a one-off thing with the city of Stockton, not state money, and not every low income person, by any means, in Stockton will get it.

Just looked it up, it is a few hundred residents of Stockton, nothing close to a UBI trial. It has private funding, which makes sense, as Stockton wouldnt be able to afford this, and also, a government program could not give money to only a couple hundred people, while ignoring the many many more that would have the same qualifications.

It appears that the funding will come from the Economic Security Project... with a million directly from Chris Hughes. It's a bit unclear what makes up the rest of the Economic Security Project's fund.

https://www.stocktondemonstration.org/faqs/who-is-funding-this

The program originally started with a $1 million contribution from the Economic Security Project. Since October, the program was successful in securing additional funding in the amount of $250,000.

SEED will provide a select number of families in Stockton $500 a month over the course of several years. We hope this pilot will demonstrate how people can improve their lives with additional economic support and, in the process, place Stockton in a national and international discussion regarding our social safety net.

Wonder how they "select" families ?

https://www.michaeldtubbs.com/economic-progress
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 07:23:57 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Quite a bit of the secured funding is paying for advertising about UBI, art installations, posters, web site stuff, a hired manager/organizer, actually more than 1, I would imagine. It is certainly making him a popular mayor.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
This whole thing is why we see the news as mostly "fake news", as even something like this, that should be simple to explain, has horrid coverage that gives everyone the wrong idea about what is actually happening.

They could say something like:

Stockton mayor initiates program to see how extra money with no strings attached is used by poor families, and how it changes their lives. This program will use private donations to give a select number of Stockton families $500/month, hopefully for a few years if funding is secured.

See ? How hard was that ?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
This whole thing is why we see the news as mostly "fake news", as even something like this, that should be simple to explain, has horrid coverage that gives everyone the wrong idea about what is actually happening.

They could say something like:

Stockton mayor initiates program to see how extra money with no strings attached is used by poor families, and how it changes their lives. This program will use private donations to give a select number of Stockton families $500/month, hopefully for a few years if funding is secured.

See ? How hard was that ?

GREAT at correcting all of the mis-direction and demonstrating how easily people can be mislead by their own opinion soup getting mixed in Mountain Momma.

Also NOTE that I had my own improper thoughts on this same story ...