Author Topic: How to get a stuck bullet out.  (Read 9783 times)

Offline A Pirate

• Prepper
  • Loose lips sink ships
How to get a stuck bullet out.
« on: December 28, 2010, 01:47:02 PM »
My powder got wet while hunting in a snow storm. We put a bullet puller into the round and while tugging the ramrod snapped. My dad and I have two plans. 1. Take a screw welded to a rod and screw out what is left of the ram rod get it out, then use a bullet puller again. Or 2, hook up the blow torch and melt the lead slug. Can you all tell me what you would do in this situation? Thank you.
I have survived Iraq and Detroit, so bring on your TEOTWAWKI.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: How to get a stuck bullet out.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 01:57:48 PM »
By the time that lead hits up - I would expect what powder to have dried and cooked off.  I do think heating the barrel up that hot might cause a loss of temper of the barrel.

You should remove the rod, let the powder dry out - and dry a new cap ?  or is it flint lock...

I am not sure if you could use compressed air from the breach side and "push" the ball / powder out.

If the powder has fizzled - I would still try to get the bullet puller out - and in a safe location  use a bunch of primers and slowly force the bullet out.

When I had a squib load I used primed brass to push the round out of the barrel.  It took about 4 trys before the bullet dribbled out of the barrel.

Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Offline bladesmith

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 03:23:35 PM »
Thompson center sells a neat device that uses co2 cylinders to remove a stuck ball.   the other option is to remove the nipple and force a little 4f powder in the hole screw the nipple back in recap and fire.
American Bladesmith Society Journeyman Bladesmith

www.fritzknives.com

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 03:32:25 PM »
Well, crap, Bladesmith beat me to it.

Go down to your nearest gunshop and get what's called a "CO2 Discharger/Unloader".  It fits right on the  nipple and a few quick shots should do it.   You may want to lube up the barrel, a bit, before you do it to make it easier for the bullet to slide down.

Here's a link to the item at Cabela's, as a reference.

http://www.gunaccessories.com/RMC/EC_Unloader.asp

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

I once filled the best and brightest of our young men and women with important knowledge. . .now, I just get paid for my opinions.  Ain't Life Grand?

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 07:07:39 PM »
OR, pull the nipple off the bolster, shake out all the powder you can get out of it. If it got wet, it might be caked up in there, so a toothpick might help to loosen it up. Dont use a sparking metal, as it "could" set off the powder... (that said, I use a normal safety pin or bent paper clip, which will spark, etc, etc.)

Dribble a light load, 20gr or so...of powder back into the bolster/chamber area. Make sure the threads are clear of powder, and replace the nipple lightly.

Reseat the ball/ramrod piece onto the powder. This is very important.... RESEAT the projectile onto the powder. You dont want air between the powder and ball.

Cap, and fire into a safe location where you can recover the parts.

Some muzzleloaders have a small screw below the nipple that can be removed for dribbling in powder and cleaning. That would be a better way than trying to screw the nipple back in with powder in the threads...
This method has worked for me several times..
RipT
Sole employee of Plum Creek Leather Works
Life member SASS

Plum Creek Leatherworks on Facebook...

Offline A Pirate

• Prepper
  • Loose lips sink ships
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 02:41:50 PM »
Thanks for the help I think I will go with the co2 idea. Just out of note I had to washout all the powder and spray anti-rust in there due to the fact that it will be a while till I can fix, plus my dad is a welder and his answer is always fire.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 05:28:44 PM »
"his answer is always fire."

Thats funny! My answer is usually a bigger hammer.
Good luck.
DM
Life member SASS

Offline vulture774

• Prepper
    • Tom's Topics
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 03:46:44 PM »
Thanks for the help I think I will go with the co2 idea. Just out of note I had to washout all the powder and spray anti-rust in there due to the fact that it will be a while till I can fix, plus my dad is a welder and his answer is always fire.

If the seal between the projectile and the bore is compromised...CO2 may not help.

In this case, find a way to introduce a small amount of 4F powder behind the projectile, as has been suggested earlier.

NOTE:  THIS IS IN CAPS BECAUSE IT'S VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!  RESET THE PROJECTILE TIGHT TO THE NEW POWDER CHARGE BEFORE LIGHTING IT OFF.  IF THE FIRST TRY DOESN'T WORK....ADD A BIT MORE POWDER BEHIND THE PROJECTILE AND THEN RE-SEAT THE PROJECTILE TIGHT TO  THE CHARGE,
 RE-SEAT THE PROJECTILE TIGHT TO THE CHARGE,
RE-SEAT THE PROJECTILE TIGHT TO THE CHARGE,
RE-SEAT THE PROJECTILE TIGHT TO THE CHARGE! 

Try it gain,  it will come out eventually.

Tom D.
KB3PKB
73  73

Offline A Pirate

• Prepper
  • Loose lips sink ships
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 05:02:54 PM »
I have two thoughts on recharging the the rifle. 1. with the split up old ramrod I do not know how well I can reset the round. 2. Can I buy a small amount of 4f powder? I built this thing back when I was 16 and have not used the one pound of FFg that I bought 7 years ago. Having 2 kinds of powder in the same style of can could lead to major problems and who knows what would happen if the cops or my landlord saw a couple of pounds of powder owned by a 23 year old vet with a mohawk.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 10:40:19 PM »
You may have to make a new temporary ramrod out of a 3/8" dowel, or something just under bore size. That should get it pushed back down, with no worry of getting a new ramrod stuck next to the old one.

As far as powder, I believe it is only sold in 1 lb cans at the minimum. The 4F is very fine, and should work great as suggested before. I didnt even take grain size into consideration. I used 3F, so it was close anyway.

Is it illegal for you to own powder where you live? Do you have special rules for storage in your town/county/state, etc?
I have over 25 lbs of powder myself, but also shoot a heck of a lot of it over the course of a year, and it is kept in a firebox.

If its not a legal issue, dont worry about what the landlord says. You have a legitimate use for it with your blackpowder rifle. Just be smart, keep it put away, and dont be making cherry bombs in the back forty.... ;)

Good luck to you!
DM
Life member SASS

Offline radtke

• Herald of the Goatpocalypse
  • Survivor
    • the lost skills podcast
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 12:16:35 AM »
i had to remove a bullet and a broken ramrod last year and i did it pretty much like RipTombstone said . i only had to fire once and the ramrod was stuck in the ground in front of me.  so be carefull
Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit ("He Who Is not Prepared Today Will Be Less So Tomorrow")
 visit my podcast , the lost skills podcast @
http://lostskillspodcast.com  where we believe if the women dont find you handsome they should at least find you handy...