Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Some interesting fact about Survival Cave Food if you don't know

1. Survival Cave Food is much healthier and contains less sodium than many other brands of freeze dried food while still retaining it's great taste.

2. Survival Cave Food are freeze dried, dehydrated, re-sealable and will stay fresh for another year after opening.

3. Each can of Survival Cave Food is low sodium, low in fat, and healthy

4. Survival Cave Food uses the finest quality meats and hand packs them in each can. These canned meats are cooked very differently than most others. They are slow pressure cooked at 240 degrees and have no added water or broth

Use Code "EXTRA15" at Checkout
to Get Extra 15% OFF.

Act Now Offer Valid for the Limited Time Only

Solar Power / New offgrid solar install
« Last post by buckaroo on Today at 10:11:07 AM »
I am new to the forum, thought I would post a video of what I accomplished last season......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o08FbDUfnVA&t=10s
  If the system works with a battery bank,How do you plan to maintain the battery bank?
Properly produced panels are made to survive being in the weather and the system will be at it's best if USED to power something within it's capacity so as to exercise the batteries and maintain system integrity.

This^^^
I just completed a system on our cabin and pondered the same question as I left for the first time......the research and advice I got was to leave it running as usual. The batteries do need to be 'exercised' and the panels should last 20+ years at least anyway. So why not just leave them as is? If you were to have a concern with hail or rodents then I would say build a wire cage, very light, to just lift on and off. This would allow them to still charge the batteries...
Emergency Preparations / Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Last post by Greekman on Today at 09:56:37 AM »
I think that the softer black sheath of the plates is some sort of spray-on polyurethane bedliner. You can research if you can DIY apply it.
Homesteading and Self Reliant Living / Re: Pole barn homes?
« Last post by buckaroo on Today at 09:51:44 AM »
Hi JS721 - I have actually built a 'Pole House'.....my wife and I have some acres in the desert and after much research and pondering, decided on this route. It is considerably less expensive and much stronger in some ways. Do you have any building experience? Asking because this is not typical building, and while not necessarily harder, it does help to have a bit of experience in general building techniques. The hardest part may be finding telephone poles, at least where I am, they are not as readily available these days.....
Questions you will need to figure out:
Obviously, size...increments of 4 ft is best
Set the poles in concrete or not? Pros/cons
Framing - Do some research as the load-bearing of the structure is all different
Floor - How to seal from critters sine it is raised foundation
Roof - Raised?

We are now all finished and have added a large screen porch and decks. Our terrain was rocky and sloped so this was an easy way to go. If you have a flat area with good ground, it may be easier to just pour a slab and go the regular way. Although having a Pole house is fun and unusual, definitely has a good vibe to it :-)
I tried to post some pics but seems like you have to use a host.....
PM me if you want more info...
Homesteading and Self Reliant Living / Re: THE HALL
« Last post by Gamer on Today at 09:08:50 AM »
..I don't think we need to worry about running out of food if more people join our group. we should welcome them if they can get along..

If food runs short we'll tell newcomers LvsChant is happy to share his with them..;)
As for "getting along" with people, if newcomers are a pain in the butt we'll kick 'em out, I personally can't suffer fools at all..:)
The Survivors (1975) episode called 'New Arrivals' touched on the theme, it seems to have vanished from youtube but here's a still I made from it when it was around.
Young agricultural college graduate Mark (circled) joins the group and although he's a whizz at growing stuff, his manner is rude and offensive and bad for everybody's morale.
Here he is trying to lay down the law once too often.
They don't actually kick him out, but their coldness towards him makes him realise he's not wanted, so he saddles his horse and rides on out, taking his bad vibes with him..:)

“Associate yourself with men of good quality, for ‘tis better to be alone than in bad company"- George Washington
"He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm" (Bible: Proverbs 13:20)
"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another" (Bible:Proverbs 27:17)
"If you hang around with losers you become a loser"- Donald Trump

Also note the hysteria isn't fading. We are now focusing on smaller shootings. Shootings with two victims, shootings where no one dies, etc.  This means armed citizens can stop all the shootings they want, we are starting to focus on the occurrences, not the severity. This means armed citizens or cops will not be seen to "solve" anything. Smaller and smaller scale crime will become national news and a feeling of crisis will continue.

Good point.  Very good point, in fact
I doubt it.

People learning they have to defend themselves will not stop those that think we would be better off without guns.  The unarmed citizens will be held up as examples of it taking good guys, not good guys with a gun, to stop shooters. 

The good guys with guns ae just increasing density of armed citizens. Progressives think the active shooter problem is bigger than it is and want gun laws. Conservatives think the problem is bigger than it is and carry guns.

Also note the hysteria isn't fading. We are now focusing on smaller shootings. Shootings with two victims, shootings where no one dies, etc.  This means armed citizens can stop all the shootings they want, we are starting to focus on the occurrences, not the severity. This means armed citizens or cops will not be seen to "solve" anything. Smaller and smaller scale crime will become national news and a feeling of crisis will continue.
Hello folks,

I am a long-time listener in Lawrence KS. I wasn't around for the Jetta days, but was definitely here for the "another day another dollar" days. Have been busily working on my resilient life and homestead since 2011.

I throw an annual community event which is coming up this coming Saturday, June 2. The event features stringband music, barn dancing, an epic potluck dinner, and sustainability-related workshops and a keynote speaker. This year's speaker is Marcin Jakubowski, amazing open-source design proponent, whom Jack has interviewed twice. Marcin is also hosting a 3D printing workshop in the morning, and registration is open for anyone who would like to build their own open-source machine under his supervision.

Is this the best way to get in touch with TSPers in my area? If not, I would appreciate other suggestions. I would love to meet anyone in the KC/eastern KS area. Thanks!
Emergency Preparations / Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Last post by Knecht on Today at 05:48:36 AM »
Likely found someone who has a supply of hardox steel plates and a laser cutter and has no more use for the hardox....this could allow me to have ballistic plates made for the whole family, nearly for free. Yes, bare steel is not the ideal type of ballistic protection (my own plates have paxcon surface) but I guess the chance of being hit by bullet fragments is way much better than being hit by bullet. And while steel plates are heavier than composite plates, they have pretty much unlimited shelf life and their durability in actual use is also better, which IMO makes them ideal for a long-term stored ballistic protection that will quite likely never be used.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10