Author Topic: MURS with an Antenna?  (Read 5431 times)

Offline PAprepared

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
MURS with an Antenna?
« on: June 15, 2010, 10:53:37 AM »
Hey now,
              I just purchased two handhelds and a base station from you. I am wondering about using an antenna with the system? I live in a major city, lots of obstructions and buildings. My question is what antenna will work best to maximize the range with these units? My wife and I work about 2 miles from each other and would like to have communication in case of an emergency. We have access to our roof, which is 3 stories and is above most other properties in our general area.

I have been looking at the antennas from Centerfire http://centerfireantenna.com/vhfmenu.html and we are wondering which would be best for our needs?

Offline rob_ma

• Survivor
    • murs-radio.com - Two way radio and security equipment
Re: MURS with an Antenna?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
Hey now,
              I just purchased two handhelds and a base station from you. I am wondering about using an antenna with the system? I live in a major city, lots of obstructions and buildings. My question is what antenna will work best to maximize the range with these units? My wife and I work about 2 miles from each other and would like to have communication in case of an emergency. We have access to our roof, which is 3 stories and is above most other properties in our general area.

I have been looking at the antennas from Centerfire http://centerfireantenna.com/vhfmenu.html and we are wondering which would be best for our needs?

The difference between the two antennas are directionality. The ground plane will receive and transmit equally in all directions (omni directional).

The Yagi will concentrate your signal in a single general direction but will add gain. This will have the effect of increasing the received and transmitted strength of your signals and is useful if you are communicating in one general direction only.

The extra elevation above surrounding structures will help quite a bit. It is also important to use a good quality coax cable to connect the radio and the antenna to minimize signal loss between them. Centerfire Antenna does offer coax cable with the proper connectors (just email them).

- Rob

Offline PAprepared

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 08:03:19 AM »
Cool!

Rob, I just received the units. Shipping was pretty fast even for USPS. Though, they did not deliver it on time. Oh well, got my stuff! Thanks for getting it out so fast.

I also talked to Centerfire and will order my antenna this week. I will report back with the type of range I can get in a major city with the omni directional unit. It should be helpful for others to know. The wife and I will be testing out the base station and handhelds this week, cant wait!

Thanks again man!

Offline PAprepared

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 08:58:48 AM »
UPDATE

We are getting 1/2 mile range in the middle of the city sprawl w/ just the base station and two handhelds. @ a 1/2 mile, there is allot of static, but still within reach. I will be ordering the antenna this week and also testing the handhelds in the woods when we go mountain biking this Sunday. So far, satisfied for just using them as property management and security. :)