Author Topic: Catfish Trotline  (Read 11100 times)

Offline jasperg357

• Senior Survivalist
Catfish Trotline
« on: September 10, 2010, 04:01:17 PM »
Currently here in Santee Cooper Sc. Drift fishing and trot lining for catfish on Lake Moultrie. Thought I would try to upload a few photos of the fish plus the surrounding area.
Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree....Martin Luther

"Usually, terrible things that are done with the excuse that progress requires them
are not really progress at all, but just terrible things."
Russell Baker

Every man must do two things alone; he must do his own believing and his own dying....Martin Luther

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Catfish Trotline
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 10:55:23 PM »
Nice pic's....wish I knew how to do that....The catfish reminded me of a time when as a kid I would go fishing with my grandpa...those memories a great.  I've never used a trotline before, maybe you can show some diagrams on how it is set up and used. What kind of bait did you use?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

"Survival is a form of rebellion, living is the punishment" Mr. Smith from the movie "The Way Back"

"Those who would give up freedom for a little security deserve neither" Ben Franklin

Ride hard as you can, rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thouroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "man what a ride!" Author unknown                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      The world is changed by your example not by your opinion.

Offline jasperg357

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 10:57:05 AM »
I am currently using a 100 hook trotline which is around 400 ft. in length. I have the hooks set about 10 ft off the bottom, will see what I can do about getting a diagram uploaded. I prefer using herring cut bait, but I have also used raisons, grapes, shrimp and hotdogs but I seem to have better luck with herring. Nobody seems to be doing very well fishing don’t know if it’s the warmer weather we are having here are what, but I currently have about 70 pounds of catfish fillets in the freezer last year I brought home around 312 pounds of catfish fillets.
Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree....Martin Luther

"Usually, terrible things that are done with the excuse that progress requires them
Russell Baker

Every man must do two things alone; he must do his own believing and his own dying....Martin Luther

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 05:55:18 PM »
Sounds very similar to a system I have used in the ocean to catch bottom fish. We used squid for bait since it was more durable than herring. We called it a "tub trawl" . Had about 100 hooks tied to the bottom line about 18 ft apart, each baited with a slice of squid. We would throw a buoy out attached to an anchor line, then the anchor, which was usually a sack of rocks. When you threw the anchor over stand back!!! The hooks would start flying out of the galv tubs we had them in.  Sometimes we would have five or six tubs all lined up and tied to each other end to end. As the last tub emptied out it was tied to another anchor, buoy line and buoy. We would let this soak for a couple of hours then haul it back. Depending on the wind,waves and current, we would decide which end of the line to haul in first. Sometimes it worked well and sometimes not. That's why they call it "fishing" and not "catching". ;D
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

"Survival is a form of rebellion, living is the punishment" Mr. Smith from the movie "The Way Back"

"Those who would give up freedom for a little security deserve neither" Ben Franklin

Ride hard as you can, rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thouroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "man what a ride!" Author unknown                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      The world is changed by your example not by your opinion.

Tommy Jefferson

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 08:32:07 PM »
You make me so horngry!  ;D

Offline jasperg357

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 04:29:14 PM »
Heading home tomorrow morning,so far I have ended up with about 100 pounds of catfish fillets plus about 20 pounds of smaller catfish that I didn't fillet.

Russell Baker

Offline Tuxdad

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 07:23:45 AM »
Had the pleasure of fishing on the Santee about 20 yrs ago.. Had fun, not counting the dadblamed gar..

How do you deal with them on the trotlines ??

Offline jasperg357

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 12:03:30 PM »
Caught two Gar on the trotline this year they were the only two I have caught in the three years I have been putting out trotlines on Santee, last year I caught three soft shell turtles.

Russell Baker

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 06:39:26 PM »
jasperg357 nice job on the fish , are they mostly channel? gars fine far to if eaten before its stone cold.
1 looked like a blue , i run limb lines for flats and cold water blues, then if the bait dies then any old channel will eat it.
i run trot lines down the banks for channel in the spring. 2 foot of water and 3 foot out.

shade heads for bait Ive caught 4 lb bass on the river. and a 2 lb croppie. you never know what you'll get.

Offline jasperg357

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 06:53:08 PM »
Pretty much just catch blues on the trotline with some channel cats and flatheads every now and then, I have my best luck using herring as bait. Sometimes you will catch a gar,turtle are eel.

Russell Baker

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 06:57:41 PM »
the late seson big blues are nasty with slime and get a pressurwashing and soap bath before i cut em up .
@ here theres some whites ,blues , flates ,channles, big bullheads, spots,
i think they taste better if i can wash them with soap before i clean them.

Offline jasperg357

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 08:59:15 PM »
Santee probaly has some of the best tasting catfish I have ever eaten. They have a very mild fish taste.

Russell Baker

Offline smith06

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2013, 05:48:51 PM »
looks like a helluva haul there!! 

You run your lines off the bank or by boat?

Offline jasperg357

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 12:53:50 PM »
I run them off the boat about 1/4 to 1/2 mile from the bank, and I keep the line about 4 feet off the bottom.

Russell Baker