Author Topic: Car Emergency Kit  (Read 21406 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Car Emergency Kit
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2014, 05:15:40 AM »
You will do better with "FRESH" unused kitty litter    ;D

Offline alan123

• Survivor
  • Prepping just makes sense
    • Made by Alan
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2014, 07:18:53 PM »
Kitty litter is clay and does not burn. When they are talking about oily rags, they are talking about drying oils like used in paint, tung and boiled linseed oil. The drying oil oxidizes, produces heat and the wadded up cotton rag is the fuel. Not motor oil, it doesn't dry and is sprayed on the bottom of pistons in an engine without bursting into flame. I had oily  kitty liter under my cars for years to catch the oil drips.
How long have you had that oil rag to wipe down your guns? Me---decades.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2014, 07:31:47 PM »
I would also add:

WD-40 - gets those lugnuts off WAY easier if you have a flat
Small bottle of Window Cleaner - I hate it when it is rainy/glary out and the inside of your windshield is yucky
Lady's pantyhose - Might tell your wife why you have them in there, but they work as a great temporary fan/etc belt.

Cedar

Offline jhull87

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2014, 07:04:50 PM »
Kitty litter is clay and does not burn. When they are talking about oily rags, they are talking about drying oils like used in paint, tung and boiled linseed oil. The drying oil oxidizes, produces heat and the wadded up cotton rag is the fuel. Not motor oil, it doesn't dry and is sprayed on the bottom of pistons in an engine without bursting into flame. I had oily  kitty liter under my cars for years to catch the oil drips.
How long have you had that oil rag to wipe down your guns? Me---decades.

I always put oily rags into a baggie of some sort I can seal. It may just be extra "safe" but as a mechanic all oily rags end up in a sealed "bin" every night. We were always told this was because they can combust much like a wet hay bale (so I'm told I've never seen either occur). I've worked at multiple shops and they always had the same red bins to toss used rags in. I don't know if this was something the fire marshall mandated or if it was an actual cause for concern.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2018, 05:13:23 AM »
Some more items for your consideration:
http://thesurvivalmom.com/items-glove-box-trunk/

TLDR version:
1. Road Atlas / Printed Maps
2. Wrist Compass
3. Headlamp
4. Water Purification Straw
5. Folding Knife & Fire-Starter
6. Alcohol Swabs
7. Pepper Spray
8. Face Mask
9. Ziploc Bag

Can't say that I'm 100% in with this list, but it's a nice break from politics for the moment.  Also it leaves out things like a Maglight (a handy club that may even be legal in DC and Chicago) and a seatbelt cutter/window breaker.  Like I said, items for your consideration.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2018, 08:42:56 AM »
     There is a series of paperbacks called "Armchair Reader". They are about two inches thick, about 500 pages. There are a wide varieties of titles; the one I keep in the truck is "The Amazing Book of History". If you're stuck for any amount of time, being able to occupy your mind will help pass the time (or going crazy). I can sit in a deer stand for hours, but after naming all of the trees and becoming on a first name basis with the squirrels, my mind starts to shut down.
     A book, short one or two page anecdotes (as in Armchair Readers) or a novel, or maybe a puzzle book, will give you something to do. All of my kits have photos of family and beloved pets, to motivate me to "hang in there". Physical survival is important and it also depends on mental and emotional survival.[size=78%] [/size]

Offline alexlindsay

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2018, 11:27:20 PM »
I use my vehicle for work in remote areas and its a truck so i can dedicate some space. Couple tarps 8x10, complete socket set, pliers, screwdrivers' first aid kit, tire plug kit, air pump, jack and one jack stand, 30' tow strap, spare fuses, water, bit of food, contractors bags, gorilla tape, jb weld, 5l of oil, cell phone booster, soap, water purifier tablets, lighters, extension cord, 50l gas, and a can of bear spray. All i can think of right now.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2018, 05:51:14 AM »
  Don't forget the silicon self fusing SUPER TAPE, it can mend many problems to get you home.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HWROLIG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1