Author Topic: Canoe Fishing  (Read 5265 times)

farmerjonboy

Canoe Fishing
« on: October 24, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
I've always wanted to canoe fish and I am not sure where or if there is a topic on canoe fishing, know there is one for kyaks but thought a canoe one would be nice.

Ok, first is size, from my point of view, size is huge, because you got to fit a couple rods, then a second one for backup. The size though is a big part of it if for any other reason other than where you are planning on fishing. If you do not know how deep it is where you will be fishing, best thing is gps programs and maybe even programs like google earth or microsoft virtual earth to gauge the depth.

You also got to fit a cooler in there, being a person who works at Walmart (garden center specifically, but I pass by sporting goods a lot between recieving / break room / time clock and garden) and think anything under 40 quarts would be nice, unless you get a big fish then you got to be pretty creative, or if you have a big enough canoe, a + 40 quarts cooler is nice. I was also looking at the possibility of building ones own cooler to custom fit the cooler into the canoe.

These are probably the 2 big things I look at when canoe fishing, does anyone have anything on this?

Offline Optix

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Canoe Fishing
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 02:28:11 AM »
I had the same fiberglass canoe for 25 years. I had a Minn Kota 35 electric trolling motor on it and that thing was great, especially for river fishing. Easy to manouver for casting, holding against the wind. Mine was a 16 foot and alright for two ppl.

Canoes IMO are not for big deep waters though, unless it is a sheltered mountain lake. Not stable enough or enough freeboard. Probably forget anything electronic, cept maybe your phone in a zip bag, in case you tip. Use a map.

Apart from my motor, a fishing rod, map, life jacket, paddles, water and food; that's all I carried with me. Good idea to tie your paddle and maybe your tackle box to your canoe on a short length of rope. Tipping sucks.

Noah

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 03:57:01 AM »
You can get portable fish finders for canoes that give you depth and show you what the bottom looks like.  A waterproof GPS (all of them are) is great also for marking productive spots.  I always secure all my valuables in a floating plastic box that is not tied to the boat.  At a very minimum my wallet, phone, and car keys so that is the canoe tips or sinks I can grab the box and a life vest and make my way back to shore. 

Really though, the only way I would recommend a canoe over a kayak is if you are bringing a second person. Otherwise, a kayak is so much more stable in my humble opinion.

Offline tstensberg

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 07:38:00 PM »
I don't have any experience with a kayak, so I can't exactly comment on that, but I have done a lot of duck hunting and fishing out of my canoe.  If stability is an issue,  buy or make some outriggers for it and your problem is solved.  I typically won't bring a cooler with me for fish storage, I find it much easier to use a stringer and let whatever you catch drag behind the canoe, it really saves a lot of space.

I absolutely love fishing and hunting out of my canoe.  You're limited to smaller bodies of waters and rivers... but at the same token, it can go many places that a larger boat can't.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 08:47:50 PM »
I have a 14'6" canoe. I use a 35# trolling motor. I carry a small cooler (9 can size) and I have a milk crate to hold all my fishing gear. I zip tied some 2" pvc to the crate to use as rod holders.

I can troll with this setup. Works well for smaller lakes. The disadvantages are obvious - it's a canoe. You can't mount a 50hp motor, it's top speed is about 6mph, only holds 2-3 people, etc.

The positives - it's a canoe. Easy to paddle, draws about 6" of water, can get into inlets and backwaters other boats cannot. No trailer, throw it on roof and go. You can take your wife and a dog with you.

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 04:15:47 AM »
 I've seen more canoes and kayaks this year than I've ever seen in my life. The local Craigslist seems to always have boats, but canoes & kayaks are rarely there and don't last long. It seems that the gas prices have affected more than just cars & trucks.

Every single time we go to one particular lake, we see the same guy in a kayak. His is VERY cool in that it's pedal powered. He not only had racks along the sides to hold rods, but he has vertical ones for fishing and trolling. Yes..he does troll in that thing, and I always see him catch fish. I kept watching him more and more, and decided to check them out. Too bad their basic models start at $1200 and go up from there. The rig he has costs $1950. What's even cooler about the one he has is that you can remove the pedal mechanism and attach an electric one to it. It has steering controls mounted inside the body, and it works similar to a joystick controller for a game.
Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessaries-Mark Twain

My life has a sound track, and it goes to 11.

Married White Male -looking for wild healthy mature Catfish. No smaller than 15 pounds but the bigger the better. Does not need to cook or clean, just needs enjoy munching on chicken livers and long fights on the beach. Please meet me tonight at Walborn Reservoir. Ill be waiting.

Offline Samuel Fairlane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 06:38:24 AM »
I have to suggest a nice set of paddles. Not all paddles are created equally. A milk crate  to put all your gear in. Mount you some short pvc plumping pipe in the corners of the crate for rod holders. A fish basket for live well, the more holes the better. The plastic kind make to much drag. Canoes will surprise you with paddle power speed. I can dust a bass boat with a 35 pound trolling motor. I used to use a small bass boat with 2 35 pound thrust, never will forget the day when a kayak pasted me like I was siting still.

Offline ksdon

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 08:14:54 PM »
I do most of my fishing out of a Old town 11.9 solo canoe ,with double blade paddle I can leave most any boat with a trolling motor in my wake . One advantage is if you hook a big fish it will pull you until it gets tired . another real advantage is that you can follow beaver trails and hit hole most people dont .
the only disadvantage Ive found is when you hook a big gar it looks like you have a merc cruiser on the darn thing

Offline Perfesser

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 09:15:40 PM »
If you're new to canoes don't have a lot of loose stuff in the boat. Everything in a bag or box you can close, preferably one that floats and tie them to the boat loosely. Eventually you dump it and you won't have to dive for your gear.
We did a lot of river fishing an it's good to get used to kneeling in the bottom with your butt against the seat for stability. I would have a keyhole foam lifejacket just to kneel on.
"The best weapon you have is between your ears"