Author Topic: Hobo Fishing  (Read 3151 times)

Offline Ash Blue

• Fledgling Prepper
Hobo Fishing
« on: January 08, 2013, 04:34:29 AM »
I've tried hobo fishing once but didn't catch anything.. I had no luck, but there's no reason why it won't work.

Go to 1:45 of this video for the hobo fishing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvRR5MTBBQI

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Hobo Fishing
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 12:15:09 PM »
When I was a kid I would often be away from home on some trip and find a pond with some fish, for a couple bucks I could buy a spool of line and a hook and be able to fish them. It works great, especially for small ponds and creaks.
www.JLMissouri.com      Lewis Family Farm

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 06:36:34 AM »
It's how I learned to fish. The only difference was that instead of a can we used a stick to wrap the line around.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 08:56:40 AM »
I have never tried HOBO and would not know how to begin cooking one..

But since about age 10 ,I would carry a pocket kit with line and hooks and would cut a stick for a pole and use most any twig for a float (often a porcupine quill or small bird feather) combined with a grasshopper or grub and soon the panfish would be over fire on a stick and thus each day went during our 'Lord of the flies' weekends at grandma's house . Mom and dad would be so cool to dump us kids off for freedom runs with cousins to join in at our perpetually 100 year old grandma's house.

These days that might be thought as bad parenting..big deal...got a cut? rub dirt in it to toughen you up...we didn't know we couldn't live in the woods as kids,and we did well.
Why is it that the same people who use science to convince you of Global Warming,refuse DNA Science that proves you are male or female.

Government solves few problems that it does not first create.

Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline ashed

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 05:36:43 PM »
Ha, I just tried out my new hobo fishing rig this past weekend - caught more than I needed for a family of 4 (11 panfish, 2 small mouth bass and one large catfish).

I am really pleased with how well it worked - I used a http://countycomm.com/tubaton.html - the grooves are perfect for 10-lb mono and the hollows are perfect for a bobber and some split shot on one side and hooks and lures on the other. Already has a lanyard hole built in and (worst case) it floats. I have XL hands but my 5 year old could also use it and loved it. Certainly something I'm going to keep using and tweaking.

Hope that helps someone.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 07:45:03 PM »
Take a finger sized piece of pool noodle, wrap fishing line around it, stick fish hooks into the noodle. Jam the whole thing in a pill bottle and throw a few sinkers - I keep these in my backpacking kit.