Author Topic: Survival Fishing Kit Thread  (Read 9095 times)

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
Survival Fishing Kit Thread
« on: March 23, 2009, 01:20:33 PM »
In conjunction with today's show I figured I would start a thread about "survival fishing" and "survival fishing gear".  Let me get the ball rolling with two things I forgot to mention in today's show, Episode 166 ( http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/assembling-and-using-a-survival-fishing-kit )

1.  I have successfully used a variety of flowers for bait, generally any small white, pink or yellow blossoms with a small hook.  I have taken fish by floating them like a fly and rigging them to slowly fall.  Mostly it is brim, bluegill, longear's and other agressive sunfish/perch that will take these but it is good to know. 

2.  Berkly Gulp (either maggots or "night crawler" are my favorites) works quite well as a natural type of bait or for tipping jig.  You can carry it with out refrigeration and it has a good 1+ year shelf life (if you obey the instructions and don't return used bait to the jar).  If you are smart you will keep the lid on tight and put the jar in a small plastic bag.  In the even of a leak you don't want the juice from this stuff getting on other gear.

Offline DIM TIM

• Survivor
Re: Survival Fishing Kit Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 12:06:02 PM »
I have not had a chance to listen to the podcast yet, but I have it stored in my favorites to check out sometime in the next few days. I hope to add these to my gear over the next few weeks. http://www.bepreparedtosurvive.com/Food%20Collection%20Products%20from%20Survival%20Resources.htm

A good set of fishing gear is a must for wild food (fish) gathering in a survival situation. A good hunting rifle is needed for land animals, but it seems that folks that prep for survival only go as far as a small survival fishing kit in a BoB, or a pocket survival kit. These are good, but very limited.
If you think that you will be able to harvest some fish to feed yourself and/or your family, a good well stocked tackle box with a good set of poles and reels is a whole lot better than a small emergency fishing kit. Either way, this is a good survival skill to have.

Another addition to mine that I had overlooked before, but have started to give a second look to is this. http://www.popeilfamilystore.com/ppf.html

CHI_Survival

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 11:27:15 AM »
In conjunction with today's show I figured I would start a thread about "survival fishing" and "survival fishing gear".  Let me get the ball rolling with two things I forgot to mention in today's show, Episode 166 ( http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/assembling-and-using-a-survival-fishing-kit )

1.  I have successfully used a variety of flowers for bait, generally any small white, pink or yellow blossoms with a small hook.  I have taken fish by floating them like a fly and rigging them to slowly fall.  Mostly it is brim, bluegill, longear's and other agressive sunfish/perch that will take these but it is good to know. 

2.  Berkly Gulp (either maggots or "night crawler" are my favorites) works quite well as a natural type of bait or for tipping jig.  You can carry it with out refrigeration and it has a good 1+ year shelf life (if you obey the instructions and don't return used bait to the jar).  If you are smart you will keep the lid on tight and put the jar in a small plastic bag.  In the even of a leak you don't want the juice from this stuff getting on other gear.

guys my Grandpa taught me this  "Those berkly gulps"... Save some money get some fish oil Pills.... at your local store..... Or cod liver oil... Soak your plastic bait in it.. Or what I do is take the pills out with me... they are always in My bob tackle box.... poke them with hook... squeeze them on your fly or lure let it sit for a few.... And pow.....
i fish lake michigan from shore and from sea..... I use that techique everywhere I have fished and it never has failed.....  Everyone that has seen me use it converts to it. Try it... let me know....

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 09:20:34 PM »
If you happen to get a grouse or quail or pigeon for dinner the night before, save some feathers. Attach small pieces of feather to your hooks with pine pitch to make a good fly. Parts of the insides also make good bait. If there is bunch grass along the shore line, pull up a wade of it. Night crawlers will be there in the dirt.

Dirttime Dude

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 09:31:26 PM »
 If you are in a true survival situation I would never "fish" with a pole and a line.
 Fish traps are easy to make . With twigs and rocks you can catch fish by the dozen.
 You dont need bait.
 An old bottle will catch minnows. If you desire bait. Or eat the whole bottle full of minnows.

You can catch fish with a 110 conibear trap.
  A hammock made from netting can catch some good size fish. I always carry one of these.
 In the article Halcon and I wrote "With What's in Our Pockets" We made a primitive net to catch fish.
 Learning cordage is an important skill

All of these methods are against the law. Never use them unless you are in a true survival situation.
 If it comes to me and mine surviving then I will do what it takes to eat. It is no longer a "sport".

All of these methods can be "practised" without really taking any fish.

If you  have no pole, you really dont need one. I do use a cane pole, and a line, no reel.
 If you know how to make cordage , you then know how to make a fishing line.
 You dont need a hook, make a gorge, very easy to do.
 In an issue of Wilderness Way magazine I wrote an article about a making a primitive fishing reel from two hollow pieces of twigs.

Bait is anything that will attract a fish... bits of metal, will work.
 A shoe lace has worked for me.
 lots of thinbgs will work.
 Next time you are fishing, experiment with nonsense baits.

Remember it takes people who make and sell you artificial baits, lures, first though they have to bait you ,  then lure you in, then reel you in... KaChing.
 Advertising is something the fish know nothing about.  ::)

Lots of other primitve methods including things that can "stun" the fish.

http://www.dirttime.com

Dude... cover yer6

« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 09:36:45 PM by Dirttime Dude »

Offline steeltownknight

• Survivor
  • Still Surviving
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 02:56:00 PM »
In my mini Survival fishing kit I always have at least ONE  Yo YO reel.
I set it up first as soon as I get to camp (Or the area I will be setting up...)
By the time my tent is up and all my fire wood collected.  I 90% of the time I have a nice fish for a meal.

I use Eagle claw nitro baits-or real worms if I have the time.

Offline Rick9Plus

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 04:21:41 PM »
If you haven't checked out Dave Canterbury's Pathfinder pocket fishing kit, you really should do so. I just built one, following his videos on YouTube. Compact, room for storage, different types of line, and it casts pretty good, too.

Pathfinder tools in use part 2

Fishing Kit-Improvments Testing

Can't wait to try it out when the season opens!

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 05:34:46 PM »
Bait is anything that will attract a fish... bits of metal, will work.
 A shoe lace has worked for me.
 lots of thinbgs will work.
 Next time you are fishing, experiment with nonsense baits.

One of the best crappie baits I've ever used was a penny that I'd drilled two holes in and attached a treble hook too.  Polish the penny up a bit with a pencil eraser and you've got a nice shiny bait the crappies can't resist. 

While you're thinking about that, enjoy watching the walleye on the streaming Wolf river fish cam.  www.WolfRiverCam.com Shiocton #1 camera

homeshow

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 05:46:42 PM »
dry cat food and a cast net.   throw out a handfull of dry cat food let it sink.  come back 1/2 hr later throw out another handful.  wait 10 minutes toss cast net.  this works for all fish especially "nuisance fish"  in south florida tilapia in the wild are an invasive species.  filet, skin off, de bone the pin bones, and dredge in seasoned flour.  pan fry and finish with a little butter and home made wine to deglaze the pan.   look survival is about stuff tasting good too, right?

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 02:22:42 PM »
Would have to agree with some cast nets. Also some yo yo reels, extra hooks and different lines.
This looks to work well for backpacking or kayaking and the reviews are good - http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Fisherman-Spin-Casting-Outfit/dp/B000HDKOHY