Author Topic: supplies to keep in your daily driver/bov  (Read 19141 times)

homeshow

supplies to keep in your daily driver/bov
« on: April 11, 2009, 06:27:12 AM »
everyone has a different idea about their "perfect Bov" what about supplies in it?

5 gallon gas can allways full
maintain your spare tire and replace the crappy little spare donut with a full size wheel and tire from a junk yard.
my bob
bottle of fix-a-flat
a real portable floor jack (some of those "emergency tire jacks" are not safe)
basic tool box with wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, socket set, jumpercables, duct tape, different size of pipe clamps
a bottle of each type of fluid or oil your ride needs (brake fluid, power steering fluid, engine oil, radiator fluid, transmission fluid, extra water)

i hope this encourages to keep your perfect BOV perfect.

please add to this list as you want.

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: supplies to keep in your daily driver/bov
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 08:06:29 AM »
Great topic man +1, I know it's talked about some other places on here, but you're kinda taking it back to the basic stuff that even a non prepper should carry, or good fist steps. Some of these lists on the board are very elaborate, and to people who don't really have their BOVs ready yet, it might kinda be hard to try to figure out where to start. I think your list is a pretty good starting point.The items I'm bringing up are what I feel is the next step. Not really auto related, but bringing it more into the BOV status. These items are primarily inexpensive (most around the $25 range), and if someone starts with your list, these items are what I think of as step 2. Listed in order of importance IMO.

A flashlight

At least a gallon of water, just leave room in the container for expansion if it freezes.

A basic first aid kit. If nothing else, at least a $10 Wal Mart one, but a well thought out one is better.

A fire extinguisher

Jumper cables

Army wool blanket

Small cooler primarily with a three day food supply such as:
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/yago104.html
I think they call theirs a 10 day supply, but I think 3 is more like it. This might be a little over kill, especially to those of us in GA, where we don't stand a big chance of getting snowed in somewhere, but might come in handy if you spend much time in the woods.

If you didn't want to go as elaborate on the food thing, a small "6 pack" size cooler with several packs of crackers, cookies, granola bars..any ready to eat food ( that won't spoil or melt because of the heat) might be a better option. While you may not ever be stranded somewhere, you may be going down the road, get kind of hungry and not want to stop. A few food items such as these might be good to keep accessible. The cooler does a better job of keeping out bugs or rodents that may be drawn to your vehicle if the food is just laying there in a bag. Plus the cooler is there if you want to use it, just keep a bag handy to throw the food in if you want to use the cooler.

A small bag with one change of clothes (jeans, t shirt, socks, and underwear, maybe also a long sleeve shirt). This don't have to be new stuff. Depending on your needs, a pair of jeans of a t shirt with a small  hole or stain you may not otherwise want to wear. Other than the bug out reasons, there are plenty of reasons to keep spare clothes. You may get soaking wet, spill something on yourself, or if your single, and there is no telling where you might wake up, having a change of clothes ( and a ziplock bag with travel size toiletries) could come in handy.

A rifle and/or a handgun. If you usually carry a centerfire hand gun on you, maybe a .22 rifle in the BOV, unless you're really worried about an active shooter scenario, or zombie invasion, then you might want to step the rifle up a little. If you don't carry a pistol on you, (or even if you do and want a spare) maybe one in the glove box. This is assuming that this is legal in the area you live AND regularly travel in.

+ the items you mentioned above. I need to take my own advice though, considering MY vehicles don't contain all this, but it's where I want to be eventually.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 09:04:25 AM by khristopher23 »

jaat13

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 09:11:48 AM »
Roadside flares! At least 3. Besides signaling, accidents,used as firestarters (don't light the whole thing,cut a small chunk and use your firesteel just be safe you don't want a severe burn to add to an already miseable mishap!go ahead and throw some burn gel in the f.a.k just to be covered.

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 10:24:09 AM »
Pen, Paper, Cell Phone, insuracne card, registration,and Camera

The number one emergency with a car is an Auto Accident.  Cell phone for Police/EMS.  Paper, Pen, and Camera for insurance.

Fenderbenders are more common than bug outs.
The Goatpocolypse is near

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 10:34:11 AM »
Pen, Paper, Cell Phone, insuracne card, registration,and Camera

The number one emergency with a car is an Auto Accident.  Cell phone for Police/EMS.  Paper, Pen, and Camera for insurance.

Fenderbenders are more common than bug outs.

+1
Sometimes easy to overlook the obvious :)

homeshow

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 10:17:04 PM »
Great topic man +1, I know it's talked about some other places on here, but you're kinda taking it back to the basic stuff that even a non prepper should carry, or good fist steps. Some of these lists on the board are very elaborate, and to people who don't really have their BOVs ready yet, it might kinda be hard to try to figure out where to start. I think your list is a pretty good starting point.The items I'm bringing up are what I feel is the next step. Not really auto related, but bringing it more into the BOV status. These items are primarily inexpensive (most around the $25 range), and if someone starts with your list, these items are what I think of as step 2. Listed in order of importance IMO.

A flashlight

At least a gallon of water, just leave room in the container for expansion if it freezes.

A basic first aid kit. If nothing else, at least a $10 Wal Mart one, but a well thought out one is better.

Army wool blanket

A small bag with one change of clothes (jeans, t shirt, socks, and underwear, maybe also a long sleeve shirt). This don't have to be new stuff. Depending on your needs, a pair of jeans of a t shirt with a small  hole or stain you may not otherwise want to wear. Other than the bug out reasons, there are plenty of reasons to keep spare clothes. You may get soaking wet, spill something on yourself, or if your single, and there is no telling where you might wake up, having a change of clothes ( and a ziplock bag with travel size toiletries) could come in handy.

A rifle and/or a handgun. If you usually carry a centerfire hand gun on you, maybe a .22 rifle in the BOV, unless you're really worried about an active shooter scenario, or zombie invasion, then you might want to step the rifle up a little. If you don't carry a pistol on you, (or even if you do and want a spare) maybe one in the glove box. This is assuming that this is legal in the area you live AND regularly travel in.

brother these are in my BOB  ;)

Offline fngrlickingood

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 08:56:54 PM »
Great thread! I am going to add some more stuff to my vehicle now :)

Offline the_dude306

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 11:15:13 AM »
High Lift jack, tow strap, shovel, axe, rope and ratchet straps

first aid kit separate from my BOB

HAM/CB radio
Brad T.

MOLON LABE

Offline TrashCanMan

• International Connection
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 11:38:44 AM »
I drive in France a fair bit and its compulsory there to have a high-vis vest in your car and if you breakdown, you must wear it.  It makes sense so I leave it in the car all the time now.
[/center]

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 04:08:35 PM »
My Daily driver is a Toyota Tacoma. (Well it was until two weeks ago,my Daughter her got her license and I haven't seen it since...lol) 

I am surprised how much gear you can store in the cargo space below the jump seats.

All this stuff fits in the two cargo holds.

I keep a quart of oil stashed under the hood.

Ham radio.

Offline breamer999

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 10:17:27 AM »
Good quality flashlight, 3 Watt Luxeon II LED, that runs off AA's.  Keep a pack (20+) in car, and a good cigarette lighter charger and a four pack of low self discharge AA's

Streamlight makes a good one called the Survivor Series (http://www.streamlight.com/product/class.aspx?cid=7)

And one of those el-cheap 1 million candle power spotlights, that can be charged via cigarette lighter socket

Love many, trust few, and always paddle your own canoe

Offline breamer999

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 10:19:01 AM »
Correction to previous post, the 20 pack should be alkalines and the low self discharge are the NIMH type

Offline breamer999

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 03:04:37 AM »
As well, a small catalytic heater, a coleman SportCat, which is around 800 BTU and two small propane cylinders.  You can also buy an adapter that allows you to refill the one pound cylinders from a 20 pound propane tank

Cabellas sells them, I've had one for three years and they work great.  Put the empty cylinders in the freezer for an hour, so you can chill them and get more propane in them

Offline Tycoon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 05:31:41 PM »
Purchased a few of these for various vehicles of mine, nice setup for liquids and hardware. The locking mechanisms are pretty sweet if you store in an open cab or truck bed.

http://www.rotopax.com/

http://www.rotopax.com/videos/lox_mount.html
-The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson

Goatdog62

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 08:37:29 PM »
I like the hell out of those Rotopax!!

jakematic

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 01:34:22 PM »
As far as water goes my approach is twofold.

I buy cases of bottled water for $4 at the warehouse club for home and keep one case in the car at all times. This is way cheaper than buying them for $2 each at convenience store since I drive for a living. During freezing weather they come out and several bottles are brought to the car for each trip.

My other water supply is a case of 64 Datrex 125ml pouches. They aren't the cheapest at $18, but they have a 5 year shelf life and can withstand huge temperature variations.

My thought on the pouches is it also a good way to dispense water without spillage or cups and doesn't give away the size of your supply.

Offline BlazerGuy

• Prepper
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 02:36:32 AM »
I'd advise against keeping your insurance and registration in your car but rather keep them in your wallet. If my vehicle gets broken into I'd rather the punks not have my full name, address, and a list of other vehicles I own

Offline jdn181

• Survivor
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 10:13:31 PM »
I threw a Storm case in the back of my trailblazer (case 2975) and stuffed the following into it (with plenty of space for more stuff. Number to the right of each entry is the quantity of the item):

12v Battery Booster w/ Lighter Recepticle   1
50ft Rope, 2000lb rated, 1/2" dia   1
15min Safety Flares   3
Rain Jacket   1
Canister, Fix-a-Flat   1
E-Tool Shovel   1
3ft Bungee Cords   5
Fuel Can Nozzle   1
Tool Kit   1
Tarp, 9'x4'   1
CB Radio, Midland Handheld w/ Car Charger   1
12vdc Inverter, 200W   1
MRE   3
Wool Blanket   1
First Aid Kit, Basic   1
Power Steering Fluid, 1qt   1
Transmission Fluid, D/M VI, 1qt   1
Engine Oil, Mobil 1 5w30 Synthetic, 1qt      2
Bottled Water, 0.5L   4
Mossberg 500 12ga Shotgun w/ 11rnds 00 Buck   1
Gloves, Heavy leather   1 pair
Gloves, Mechanics   1 Pair
AAA Batteries   8
AA Batteries   4
Tire Plug Tools   1
Tire Plugs   35
Butane Torch, Small   1
Canister, Butane   1
Glow Sticks, Red    5
Glow Sticks, Yellow    5
Jumper Cables   1
Tie-Downs, Ratchet   2
Air Compressor Hose w/ Fittings   1
410 Shotshells, 000 Buck (Taurus Judge)   20
Fuel Transfer Pump, 12vdc   1
Fuel, 93 Octane   5gal jerry can
Water, Potable   5gal GI can

Need to add the following:

Upper radiator hose
Lower radiator hose
Hose clamps (1/2", 3/4", 2")
3/4" rubber heater hose, 6ft
Spare radiator cap (had a recent event involving a late night dinner, a busted radiator cap, and no parts stores open. Was a bitch getting the car home - travel 5 miles, stop to fill radiator, drive 5 miles, stop to fill radiator, etc.)
Spare thermostat & gaskset (for when the radiator cap fails and you heat the crap out of the thermostat. Thermostat doesn't like high heat for prolonged periods of time)
Silicone RTV (copper seal type. Best sealant I've ever used).
Live free or Die.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 12:18:17 PM »
Damn!

Nice call on the radiator cap. I had thought about the hoses, but the cap is so easy to drop and lose or just step on it and fark up the locking mechanism.

Glad it wasn't TOO much of a pain in the butt... and thanks for the tip! +1
You can't run away on a world that's round.
You're only comin' back to where you'll be found.

Based on thorough experiments involving kissing in the rain, exposing shoulders to direct sunlight, and dancing by the light of a silvery moon,  I have found that, within the bounds of frostbite and decency, hapiness is inversely proportional to the amount of clothing worn.

Offline TrashCanMan

• International Connection
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • UK Based Prepper
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 06:07:45 PM »
Am I the only person to keep a load of jerky in the glove box to make traffic jams bearable?!
[/center]

Offline Bcudda

• Prepper
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 07:36:43 PM »
+ Jerkey  ;D
Hatchet Sleeping Bag Socks Shorts & T Shirt
Duct Tape & Zip ties
if I may add

Offline Nadir_E

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Win some, learn some.
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 11:01:22 AM »
For those in colder climates where overnight temps could be a problem if you're stuck, this may be a useful addition to your equipment:

BUNKER PROJECT #1 - Build an Emergency Heater

It's a "paint can heater" - uses denatured alcohol, a roll of toilet paper, and an empty quart-sized paint can to make a heater.  I believe you need to crack a window even though it's alcohol/toilet paper burning, but I understand that there's much less CO than with other fuel types.

Well-produced YouTube video, too. :) (no, not affiliated)

-N
Region 8, SoCal

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 11:33:52 AM »
I bet taffeta would work pretty well too... ;-)

Based on thorough experiments involving kissing in the rain, exposing shoulders to direct sunlight, and dancing by the light of a silvery moon,  I have found that, within the bounds of frostbite and decency, hapiness is inversely proportional to the amount of clothing worn.

Offline Nadir_E

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Win some, learn some.
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 11:36:57 AM »
I bet taffeta would work pretty well too... ;-)

OB, did you have to use your date's dress for emergency heat after getting stuck on the way home from the prom??  That's an AWESOME excuse for having her back late and somewhat rumpled!!!  ;D
Region 8, SoCal

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 04:13:09 PM »
Not the dress. Just her undies.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 11:01:28 PM »
This is what I keep in my car all of the time.  I will be adding to it soon and this is the summer rotation so it is light on warm cloths and stuff.

In the car:

Top: cheapo first aid kit still sealed
Middle left to right: Wind up flash light, 1watt led (2 Cs), old cellphone and charger, tomtom gps, 150 watt inverter, cellphone charger
Bottom: 30mm wrench and a 6 D-cell Maglite

Trunk tools:

cheapo tool set and jumpers

Bag and front pocket:

Multi tool, fishing kit, pain killers

Small pocket:

three stripped MREs

Large Pocket:

Top row: TP, 2 LED flashlights, 2 sets of batteries, 5 hand warmers, enamel cup
Middle row: mechanics wire, candles, sewing kit, work gloves, duct tape, compas, E-blanket, Alcohol fuel
Bottom: folding knife, compass thermometer/compass, cards, matches, lighter, electrical tap, notepad, pen, pencil, rain poncho.

Large Back Pocket:

Hachet, tarp, rope, flares.

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2010, 11:29:03 AM »
Great post Racinrob!!!

Offline patrat

• Survivor
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 01:52:28 PM »
I keep a LED headlamp, leatherman, basic sears toolkit, entrenching tool, vehicle manual + parts catalog on CD, a few bottles of water and food bars. Also a basic survival/FAK that fits in a gallon ziplock. Fire extinguisher, toolbox with vehicle fluids in it.

Do NOT store fix a flat where it gets hot. My father kept a cooler in his hatchback with spare fluids and a can of fix a flat. The can detonated in the summer sun, blowing out the hatch and spraying oil over the entire interior. Tire plugs and a $10 pump will fix all the same problems, without the danger.

All of these get used from time to time, and thats why they made their way into the car.

Offline Old Scout

• Prepper
  • "Be Prepared"... It was as true then as it is now!
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 07:24:17 AM »
I carry simple hand tools (multi tip screwdriver, adjustable wrench, pliers, Duct tape, work gloves, folding knife), jumper cables, first aid kit, rain gear and cold weather items (Gloves, hat, jacket, blanket) in my trunk. 

I also have GPS, flashlight, multi tool, cell phone charger, maps, 4 half liter water bottles and some grainola bars in the side pockets and glove box of the car.

So Here's my question...
I don't know how in the world I could carry all the STUFF listed in these posts in the trunk of my car.  Not only would I have absolutely NO space left to carry anything else (The main reason to have a trunk!) but I don't even think that all the stuff people list (5 gal. gas, 5 gal. water, Fire extinguisher, air pump, guns & ammo, fully stocked BOB, sleeping bag, tarps, ropes...etc, etc.) would even fit.
So does anyone REALLY carry all this stuff with them or are these just great lists of things that would be nice to have but nobody really has room for.  I have a BOV Storage bin with a lot more stuff that I throw in the car for long trips and when I expect bad weather but I just don't have the space to carry "the kitchen Sink"!
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
-Robert Heinlein

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2010, 10:55:48 AM »
Yup. 2.5 gal each of water and gas. Qt. Oil, mini socket se with only the bits for my car, and spark plug and lug wrench. I have room for 250 bucks worth of non-beer groceries.

In a GEO TRACKER!

Just be smart. if you have a bus, pack like its a bus. Otherwise be sane and you'll have what you need without a problem.