Author Topic: Maglite window breakers attachments. Is there a seatbelt cutting attachment?  (Read 3281 times)

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
Hey all.

Like many of you, I keep a light in the cab of my vehicle with me.  In my case, it's a Maglight.  I've found some window-breaker caps.
http://xcapecap.com/products.html
http://www.bustacap.net/

If possible I'd like to pair one of these with a seat-belt cutting attachment, so that I can get rid of the bulky plastic thing I currently have sitting next to me in the car, and get some room back, without loosing functionality.

I'm aware of the ResQMe, and am considering getting one, but even if I do, I'd still like to build out my maglite, so that if I have passengers, we can break more than one window at a time.  I tend to like redundancy.

It'd also be nice to have both a good light and a rescue tool with me at the same time if I have to go help out someone else in trouble.

I've seen mention of belt-cutting attachments before, but all of the links to sellers I've found so far seem to have evaporated.

Does anyone else out-there know of some seat-belt cutting attachments?

Offline jhull87

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Just a question, and I promise I don't mean to come off the wrong way. Does your MagLite stay where you can reach it? I understand you want an extra tool to give someone who may need to assist in a rescue but what if you need to cut your own seat belt? Judging by your post, I'd say you have this covered, I was more asking for your insight, I guess. Thanks -John

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
Yeah, I tend to have it within reach in one of the back seat pockets.

Offline jhull87

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
So why do you need to have an extra tool then? Again, just asking. I feel like if needed, and you already had tools for yourself,why not just stash extras where the primaries are to hand out? I don't mean to question you, just asking to pick your brain so to speak. Sorry if I come off the wrong way...

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
Well, for one thing, 2 is one 1 is none.  Something clipped to the dash could be thrown off, or my right arm might be too injured to reach behind the seat.  Then, if I have people in my car that know what the things are, I don't have to pass them out.  I grab one, someone else grabs the other.

And even if I do have to pass them out... if we're under-water, getting ready to break out... who wants to be the last person to get to break their window?

endurance

I have a resqme. I've used it over a dozen times between training and actual extrications. The punch needs to be used on a corner or edge, but always works when used on one of those areas. The cutter is amazingly sharp. For the fire department I keep it on the outside of my coat, in my car it's on my keychain, so its always in the ignition.

I've not bothered with looking at other products because it has always delivered.

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
I always detatch my key from the main ring before putting it in the ignition.  I think I'd rather keep it velcroed to the dash, or clipped to the visor.  Though if you load up a visor, that can be a hazard in an accident as well.

Also, thanks for the corner tip Endurance.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 12:32:13 PM by Josh the Aspie »

Offline jhull87

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
I always detatch my key from the main ring before putting it in the ignition.  I think I'd rather keep it velcroed to the dash, or clipped to the visor.  Though if you load up a visor, that can be a hazard in an accident as well.

Also, thanks for the corner tip Endurance.

I just started doing this cause of the GM ignition switch recall. But I keep a second one on my belt clip. Like a dog leash clip.