Author Topic: My trunk tools in use  (Read 6547 times)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
My trunk tools in use
« on: June 22, 2014, 11:50:44 AM »
Several months ago, Jack did a show where a small segment talked about some of the tools that you should have in your trunk.  I took it to heart and got some of the the tools that I was missing.  I picked up a bottle jack that could handle the weight of my vehicle with no problem.  I also got a can of fix a flat and a plug kit.  I already had a small car kit that included jumper cables.

A couple of weeks ago, I was waiting on my daughter to get out of gymnastics.  I was listening to the radio and didn't notice the lights were still on.  I went to start the car and nothing happened.  I knew my battery was getting weak, they told me about it each time I took the car in for an oil change.  (I can change my own oil, but I get free changes since I bought my car at that dealer)  No problem I'll have my wife give me a jump. She got there and I went to hook up the jumper cables and the ones in my trunk were too short.   I got the ones from her car out and eventually got started.  Since mine were too short, I picked up some LONG cables when I get the replacement battery.

Today on the way to church the tire pressure light came on.  I stopped and filled the tires.  I was almost to church and it came on again.  I got into the parking lot and it was well on the way to being flat, but not so much that it would cause damage.  I could hear the hiss from the hole.  After church, the tire was flat as can be.  So I changed it out.  I found that my car is far too low to fit the bottle jack under it.  I'll keep it in the trunk, but I had to use the supplied emergency tire for to get going.  I went to the mother in law's house about 5 minutes away.  I found the hole easily, looked like there was a nail in it and the head must have worn off on the drive over or the pressure pushed it out.  I was able to use the plug kit to successfully repair my tire.  I didn't think about it at the time, but I don't have a tire inflator in each car.  I had to use my wife's inflator, but that's a reminder that each car needs one.  I'll pick up another one for this car.

My son turns 16 at the end of the year and will be driving.  I used this to teach him how to change a tire.  I had him do most of it since I've done it plenty of times before.  When he's driving it won't be such a huge deal if he gets a flat.

I learned how to use that plug kit.  I've seen it done, but haven't done it myself.  I learned that while a bottle jack is a better tool, it's not always useful for cars that ride a bit lower.  The supplied jack worked well, but I want my backup jack just in case.  I also got a reminder that I need to get another tire inflator.  I was lucky that I had flat where I got it and had access to the inflator in my wife's car.  It was a level parking lot, a nice sunny day, I had plenty of time and my son was with me to learn.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: My trunk tools in use
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 12:07:42 PM »
+1.

Cedar

Offline bradleypaul75

• Senior Survivalist
  • there is no spoon.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 03:17:01 PM »
very good.

hey do you have a tool box/assortment you use in each car also?

endurance

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 03:53:26 PM »
I've let my car kit wax and wane over the years.  Posts like this are always a good reminder to check what you have and make sure all is in good repair.  I've discovered dried up tubes of tire plug glue on more than one occasion, although fortunately never when I actually needed it. 

Now if I could only get my wife to stop taking her emergency kit out of her car because it "takes up too much space." ::)

Offline bradleypaul75

• Senior Survivalist
  • there is no spoon.
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 04:05:51 PM »
very good.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 03:36:46 PM »
Now if I could only get my wife to stop taking her emergency kit out of her car because it "takes up too much space." ::)
Amen, I fully expected that the air compressor was not going to be in her truck.  Luckily it was still in there.

Not really a box for each car, but each car does have things like basic tools, jack and other items.  I don't have a plug kit in my wife's car, but I'll be picking one up when I get a replacement tube of rubber cement and the air compressor for my car.

When I get my "new" car, I'll get another set of this stuff for that car.  I'll also move my get home bag stuff to that car.  My son will have 10 miles at most to get home compared to my 50+.  But I'll help him pick out some of his own gear.

Offline kckndrgn

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Ryans Turnings
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 05:52:17 PM »
Great job.

Funny, i have a number of tools in my truck, and it seems they never get used on my truck, but on other peoples vehicles.

At the drive-in theater: jumped two ppl who let their batteries run down.
At the in laws: use the pump to pump up trailer tires
At work: use tools for various "projects" that other people think can be done toolless.

Offline bradleypaul75

• Senior Survivalist
  • there is no spoon.
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2014, 07:36:13 AM »
I have found that for my vehicles tools are a big need. I would recommend something of this nature as tool kits for each vehicle. The idea is that you can inventory the items rapidly if you do monthly inventories like I do.

In addition to the tools I like to keep:
-spare fuses
-fix a flat and plugs
-zip ties
-duct tape

I am not a fan of the black tool grip color, I like reds or yellow but couldn't find a good picture to post online.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 06:13:08 PM »
I have a kit very similar to that in my trunk.  I happened to get it from my company for 5 years continuous employment.  Not great quality, but not bad for using in an emergency.

Offline bradleypaul75

• Senior Survivalist
  • there is no spoon.
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 01:12:15 AM »
yeah not a great quality tool set but it is functional.

these are light to medium duty tools. for the cost of the sets like this 50 bucks at most stores, they are worth the investment.

kind of the saying, a decent plan now executed now is better than the perfect plan next week.

Offline lettuceman

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 07:31:44 AM »
Think about where you can store spare lamps.  We have had several headlight failures so I have a spare lamp in the console with the tools to replace that item.

Offline jhull87

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 04:17:11 PM »
I think any tool kit is better than none but as a guy that's turned wrenches for a few years there is something to be said for quality. A couple hours on  your back and you'll realize it pretty quick. I'd recommend the Crasftman Pro Line for anyone that can spare the extra cash. Plus you walk away with a lifetime warrsnty. If you're a little on the strapped for cash side (I know I am but as a mechanic I can write my tools off so this isn't meant to offend anyone) the Harbor Freight Pittsburgh line isn't as good of quality but is life time warranty as well. I think tools should be thought of as an invesent and therefore a lifetime purchase.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Survivor
  • Wrong is what I do best.
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 04:19:33 AM »
the Harbor Freight Pittsburgh line isn't as good of quality but is life time warranty as well. I think tools should be thought of as an invesent and therefore a lifetime purchase.

I'll second that.  If you do a lot of your own work you'll break some of them, but I've never had a problem returning them.  A few of their tools are actually pretty good (make a decent torque wrench).  Definitely good enough for the trunk of a car.  I just heard recently that craftsman doesn't have the lifetime replacement on all of their tools anymore.  Anybody else heard this?

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 07:31:56 AM »
Don't forget something to keep the jack from sinking in the mud. 

big trash bags--big enough to hold the full size tire because it won't always fit where the donut was and needs to ride on a seat.  Also work as a ground cloth and poncho.

Baling wire and duct tape.  Wire coat hanger works as well.  Something to hold bits that are falling off, like tailpipes or bumper plastic after a minor accident.  Keeping them from dragging lets you leave on your terms, not forced to get towed...

I used to carry old climbing rope and enough stuff to rig a block and tackle.  I could get enough leverage to pull my little car out of the ditch alone.  Doesn't work with my truck, though.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2015, 07:50:58 AM »
I like the low profile of a scissor jack and they are less prone to problems of hydraulic jacks.
One can air up the flat or drive up on a board or rock to gain clearance for a bottle jack,
but a screw type scissor jack makes for easy work...if snow and ice or bad roads...
a come-along and some chain is also a good idea...put them next to the shovel.