Author Topic: State Fishing Regulations  (Read 6537 times)

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
State Fishing Regulations
« on: June 27, 2014, 12:28:01 PM »
Since Jack took a vacation and got on a fishing kick post-Sanibel, I've been eating up the TSP fishing series.

Repeatedly throughout the series, he mentioned knowing your local fish & game regulations. It might be important to know them in other states as well. Then the idea fairy landed on my shoulder and said to create a thread where all of TSP could quickly look at the fishing regs for various states. So here goes #1:

Mississippi Fishing Rules & Regulations - As given by the Mississippi Outdoors Digest published by the MS Department of Wildlife, Fisheries, & Parks (MDWFP). Mississippi generally makes rules designed to enhance sporting activities with sensible protection of the game or people. Basically, the rules are written so as not to discourage sporting. As of 2014, here are the highlights:
You need a license, which you can get from MDWFP. In general, you can't fish with more than 100 hooks at a time, with some stronger restrictions in certain lakes. You can basically fish by any method you like except for poisons/explosives/electricity:
Illegal Methods
It is unlawful to take any fish species by muddying and by the use of lime, poison, explosives, electrical devices, wire baskets, fish traps or dip net.  It is unlawful to take game fish with minnow seines for use as bait and to fail to return to the water any game fish taken by net, seine or other commercial fishing gear. It is unlawful for any person to fish any equipment in the waters of the sate of any size or type that is not allowed by the commission.
If you go to the link above, there is more detail about traditional/"unconventional" methods. You can run trot lines, yo-yos, limb lines, jugs, etc. except in state park lakes and a few other specific locations on some of the larger lakes for both game and non-game fish. Makes sense... don't want Sallie to snag a trot line while water skiing. You can only bowfish/spear/gig non-game fish, with a few tighter limitations on when/where you can do that to catfish.

There are also generous bag (or "creel" in MS) limits. As of 2014, Mississippi Creel Limits gives the detailed limits and more stringent restrictions for certain areas. You should also be able to get those limits from the first link above and they should stay syncronized.

Good luck on the water. If you're coming to central Mississippi to fish, let me know. I'm on the Ross Barnett Reservoir frequently though I'm usually sailing/skiing.

Note: Mississippi is first at something besides being fat and on the federal dole.

Post your state's fishing regs here too.

nkawtg

Re: State Fishing Regulations
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 12:51:17 PM »
Here are Nevada's regulations.
They are quite a bit more restrictive than Mississippi's rules.
For instance, 1 rod-1 license. If you want to fish with two rods, you need a second rod sticker.
No more than three hooks per line.
Some waters only allow the use of artificial lures, and some restrict them to barbless hooks.

http://www.libertypresspublications.com/NevadaFish2014/

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 01:11:25 PM »
Here are Nevada's regulations.
They are quite a bit more restrictive than Mississippi's rules.
That's because y'all don't have any water :)

d3nni5

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 02:09:35 PM »

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 02:27:42 PM »
I go fishing on occasion at the Ross Barnett Reservoir when I visit family. Best trip was a few years ago at the spillway when they had the spillway flowing strong. Caught several large fish with our rod and reel without any bait. Just used a big hook. Saw one guy catch a massive catfish that he put in the back of his truck but had to throw it back when a ranger came around and measured it.
Grew up fishing around there, but live out of state now.

nelson96

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 08:15:22 PM »
You're crazy to fish in Oregon unless you keep a copy of the regulations next to you at all times.  You can't possibly memorize the regulations and changes.

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 09:21:59 PM »
You're crazy to fish in Oregon unless you keep a copy of the regulations next to you at all times.  You can't possibly memorize the regulations and changes.
Where do you go to get them?

nelson96

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 09:25:48 PM »
Where do you go to get them?

Any place that sells licenses have them for free and it's not hard to find places that sell licenses, or you can view an electronic copy here.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 09:31:45 PM »

Niccolum

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 04:56:36 PM »
The best place for anglers in Pennsylvania is to consult the PA Fishing Summary found at http://fishinpa.com/. This publication by the Fish and Boat Commission is a digest of the laws (i.e. the things most people care about). I strongly recommend always keeping a physical copy with you at all times fishing in PA. There's a table that lists all of the seasons, size requirements, and daily limits that vary by geographic location. They're required to be offered free anywhere fishing licenses are sold - which is all over the place here.

EDIT: The HTML-version of the digest is dumb. Use the PDF versions when looking online - it's the electronic version of the digest which is rather well-done IMHO.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 05:55:55 PM »
South Carolina's fresh and salt water regs.
http://www.dnr.sc.gov/regs/fishing.html

Offline Caveat

• Prepper
  • Might as well smile.
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 10:28:01 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread.  I didn't realize how much information I was missing out on until checking out the state DEC web site for this reply.
New York State Fishing Regulations
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/fishing.html

PDF of New York Fresh Water Fishing Regulations
http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/fishguide13regs.pdf

PDF of New York Salt Water Fishing Regulations
http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/fishlimits.pdf

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 10:47:44 AM »

Ditto for MN. Oh, and they vary by lake. And river. I'm pretty sure everything Jack suggested is illegal here. And heaven help you if they amend the website while you weren't paying attention.

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 11:34:33 AM »
Thanks for starting this thread.  I didn't realize how much information I was missing out on until checking out the state DEC web site for this reply.
New York State Fishing Regulations
PDF of New York Fresh Water Fishing Regulations
PDF of New York Salt Water Fishing Regulations
Thank YOU for posting. I'm going to be effectively living in NY right on the banks of Lake Ontario in AUG/SEP. I'll basically be working 12-hour shifts 6 days a week, but what better to do than fish to chill out on the 7th day.

Offline Caveat

• Prepper
  • Might as well smile.
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 11:37:23 AM »
Ditto for MN. Oh, and they vary by lake. And river. I'm pretty sure everything Jack suggested is illegal here. And heaven help you if they amend the website while you weren't paying attention.
That all crossed my mind as well.  Noticed that the New York DEC site had an email notification for any updates, etc.  I'm sure its not fool proof (govt proof) but I signed up for it "just in case". There is also a smart phone app that gives regs, maps, weather alerts, etc.

Offline Caveat

• Prepper
  • Might as well smile.
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 12:13:09 PM »
Thank YOU for posting. I'm going to be effectively living in NY right on the banks of Lake Ontario in AUG/SEP. I'll basically be working 12-hour shifts 6 days a week, but what better to do than fish to chill out on the 7th day.
Angus
Even a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work ;)
Wish I could suggest places up on Ontario but I'm in Chautauqua County and never fished up there.
If you were going to become a NY resident instead of just "visiting", I'd suggest checking out the Lifetime Licenses that NY offers.

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 03:07:57 PM »
Angus
Even a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work ;)
Wish I could suggest places up on Ontario but I'm in Chautauqua County and never fished up there.
If you were going to become a NY resident instead of just "visiting", I'd suggest checking out the Lifetime Licenses that NY offers.
BRACE FOR TASTELESS JOKE :)
My family is allergic to NY. We had somewhat violent reactions to the place in the 1770s/1780s and again in the 1860s. I'm certain I would not stay out of prison for too long up there - too much boot on throat generates a "billy bada$$ response" (coined by my wife)

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 03:33:14 PM »

When I lived in Michigan it was the same. The running joke, which was kinda true, was that if you wanted to hunt or fish without breaking a reg and getting a ticket, you needed to hunt and fish with a lawyer.

The regulations will vary not just from lake to lake, or stream to stream, but on many streams the regulations will change several times as you move down a single stream. You could find streams where the regs would change 4 or 5 times over the course of 5 miles.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 03:53:08 PM »
A few years back while ice fishing a guy knocked on our door so we invited him in and gave him a beer. (Ice fishing, southerners, is when we get roaring drunk on a sheet of ice and play cards while pretending to fish.) He immediately fired up a cigarette of questionable contents and asked if he could park his truck next to our shack. We agreed and asked why. The oh too eager response, "I've got 15 lines down and all the lights off so the DNR won't know I'm in there... I'm in night mode," made us laugh.

To this day anything questionable is in "night mode".

Equally funny, if you read the law correctly, due to its multiple floats, a pontoon is an illegal fishing lure here.

Offline Olympic Wanderer

• Senior Survivalist
  • Not all who wander are lost. We just wish we were.
    • Olympic Wanderer
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 10:21:21 PM »
Washington too.
Just this year they introduced a "two pole" endorsement in *some* places.  Then, with all the different permits for all the different lands that you can access: State park fees / Discovery pass / national park pass / this pass / that pass... then all the emergency rule changes every month...  you need to bring a lawyer with you wherever you go.
Current WA regs here: http://dfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/
"Emergency" Rule changes: https://fortress.wa.gov/dfw/erules/efishrules/

Offline karim18

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2014, 10:32:45 AM »
Illinois regs for 2013-2015:
http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/fishing/Documents/IllinoisFishingInformation.pdf

Seriously, for how oppressive this state is, the fishing regs are SOMEWHAT sportsman friendly.