Author Topic: Worm Bin for Bait?  (Read 3758 times)

Offline InquiringMind

• Survivor
    • Engineer Your World
Worm Bin for Bait?
« on: September 18, 2014, 04:37:50 PM »
I fished only a few times as a kid and I'm looking to start next spring.

I already have a worm bin going for compost, but I'm wondering if I can use it to grow my own bait. Has anyone had any experience doing this? If so, do red wrigglers make for good bait or do I need to start a second bin with night crawlers?
Follow me as I design and build a UAV:
http://engineeryourworld.blogspot.com/

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Worm Bin for Bait?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 04:59:56 PM »
I don't do a lot of fishing, but I know I've seen red wigglers sold in those bait vending machines.
F_M

Offline Mountain State Prepper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Proudly owned by a yellow lab!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 05:34:45 PM »
Wiggles are a good trout bait.   I like them for any pan fish.  Crawlers are good for the above and bigger fish like walleyes,  large mouth and cat.   I will check a worm at just about anything.   Grow them and give it a try.
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline SnoHam13

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 05:40:55 PM »
ayup , keeping a bait bin is a great idea
the bi product is awesome for the indoor plants
and ya just never know wen the time to go fishing will hit you

SnoHam13
DoDaUPEh

Offline InquiringMind

• Survivor
    • Engineer Your World
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 09:58:41 AM »
Sweet, I'll just keep on keepin' on with the red wrigglers. It would be easy enough to buy some night crawlers and set up a second bin. Might as well have the variety and second option.

Offline christphrmurray

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 10:05:56 AM »
Nightcrawler's might not compost as fast as red Wiggler's do but should be OK that's how people raise them for the fishing store grow them.
Life is like a box of chocolate just make sure it don't say ex lax on the front

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 10:18:51 AM »
I've got the red wigglers, I use a 30 gallon rubbermaid type tote... been going for 5 years now, I have more worms than I know what do with. I keep the lid propped up during the summer and many of the worms try to escape only to realize they are in the middle of the chicken run :D I use them all the time for trout fishing. They are a bit smaller and tougher to hook but they sure wiggle allot. I give them to the neighbors kids too who go fishing all the time.

Offline InquiringMind

• Survivor
    • Engineer Your World
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 11:44:44 AM »
I've got the red wigglers, I use a 30 gallon rubbermaid type tote... been going for 5 years now, I have more worms than I know what do with.
Have you tried packaging and selling them? I'm stuck in the city for a little while yet, but once I have land, I'm thinking of running a farm stand. Could be a market.

I keep the lid propped up during the summer and many of the worms try to escape only to realize they are in the middle of the chicken run :D
You might want to prop it open even more or put it in the shade. We've had a bin going for a couple of years, and the only times they've tried to escape are (1) too hot, (2) too little ventilation, or (3) too wet (top came off in a rain storm once). Then again, if yours has been going strong for 5 years, this is probably a moot point.

Offline spud

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 11:21:03 AM »
I used to use a thousand or more night crawlers per season and they were kept in a frig just for it. They liked shallow bedding about three inch deep and cool temps about 50 degrees. Can't really raise those cause they take a very long time to reach maturity. Never tried keeping them in compost thou, don't know if it would work.  There are some good books out their on it.  They were picked in spring after heavy rain and could not be injured or they would die and ruin bedding and start a bad circle of stinky death.

Red wigglers are very easy, flow thru bins are nice, I have a fifty gallon drum in basement along with a rectangle bin for them too. They are great for panfish and trout.

Offline katunk

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 12:49:41 PM »
Mealy worms are good bait too, plus chickens love 'em as treats. Here's a how to link:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-raise-mealworms

I got my mealy worms at pet smart (apparently lizards and snakes love 'em too)

Regards