Author Topic: Texas trout fishing?  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Groundhogday

• Prepper
Texas trout fishing?
« on: March 24, 2015, 01:38:22 PM »
Hello all, Texas is on my list to moving too. I have read on the net a little bit about rainbow trout fishing in Texas? Does anyone have any experience on this? If I move I would like to find a area close to the best trout fishing, (within a hour drive?). Btw where I am at in California, the trout fishing is shoulder to shoulder along the banks. I just love the stream nobody around kinda fishing. Thanks and let me know!

Offline Tex4k

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Texas trout fishing?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 06:22:11 PM »
I'll send forth what little knowledge I can remember, (disclaimer:my memory is not my most reliable source of information) there is a small stretch of the Guadulupe River below Canyon Lake dam that has a sustainable population, then there are several areas that TPWD have put/take periods during the colder months. There may be some waters in the panhandle that have trout but I don't recall. More accurate info can be had at the Texas Parks and Wildlife website. Usually when you bring up trout fishing and Texas everyone thinks of speckled seatrout which grace our coastal waters and many of us including myself travel long distances to fish for, along with redfish and any others that may be willing to wrap a lip around a hook.

Offline Groundhogday

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 07:31:04 AM »
Yeah, when I read on the net, most comes up about the Guadalupe river. I just wasn't sure if this was a common Texas practice in other areas. Thank you for the info.

Offline flyfisher66048

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 06:09:47 PM »
For trout in a river, the only option I remember is Guadulupe River below Canyon Lake dam.  Truthfully, coming from NM and CO I was not that impressed with the trout fishing below canyon lake dam.

Don't restrict yourself to just trout.  There are outstanding fishing opportunities all over TX.  Chrystal clear rivers in the hill country, farm ponds/stock tanks every where, saltwater down on the coast.  I tried to hit them all with my fly rod while I was stationed at Fort Hood. 

Hill country - you have to get a book called Fly Fishing the Hill Country.  It details access point to all of rivers in the hill country.  Outstanding resource. 
There are some great river and creeks in the TX hill country.  Be prepared to catch 3 or 4 types of bass, many types of bream, 3 types of catfish, carp, drum, gar, white bass, crappie, etc.  My favorite place was the Llano river near Llano TX.  There is great fishing there with 100 fish days being common.  Get there early fish until it gets too hot, then head back to town for some Coopers BBQ.  Coopers is one of my favorite BBQ joints in TX, try it if you are in the area. 

Farm ponds - if you can get access to a nice pond, you are in heaven.  The bass and bluegills grow big and hungry in those ponds.

Saltwater - my most favorite type of fishing is fly fishing for Red fish in the flats.  It is a cross between hunting and fishing.  You have to spot them, sneak up on them and put the fly/bait right in front of their nose.  They fight better than any trout I've ever caught except samon.  Huge fun!  There are all kinds of fish on the flats that are fun to catch.

If you want world class trout fishing head over to AR.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 07:37:40 PM »
One of our Texas TSP members owns a fish farm down there and one of the ones he raises is trout. He said if I come down that way, I can trout fish to my hearts content... maybe he will speak up and let you know who and where he is. They are commercial .

Cedar