Author Topic: Lug Wrench  (Read 7709 times)

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
Lug Wrench
« on: June 17, 2015, 08:25:52 AM »
     I found out that the lug wrench/tire iron in my Ranger doesn't fit the lug nuts on my trailer. If you plan on towing, I'd suggest checking to make sure that you have a wrench that fits all the sizes of lug nuts.
Today was yesterday's tomorrow.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Lug Wrench
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 08:33:21 AM »
And a can of WD-40 to spray them a couple minutes before you use your lugwrench to help break them loose.

edar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."
- Cedar

"Time shall unfold what plighted cunning hides,
Who covers faults, at last with shame derides."
- King Leer Act I, Sc I, Ln 263

"What happens when a nation, although acting consistently with its own laws, behaves so monstrously that other nations, and eventually history itself, are compelled to condemn it?" - R. Noak

"The free press is the despot’s enemy, which makes the free press the guardian of democracy. When a figure in power reflexively calls any press that doesn’t suit him 'fake news,' it is that person who should be the figure of suspicion, not the press"- J.F.

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
-Daniel Patrick Moynihan

nkawtg

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 08:50:57 AM »
     I found out that the lug wrench/tire iron in my Ranger doesn't fit the lug nuts on my trailer. If you plan on towing, I'd suggest checking to make sure that you have a wrench that fits all the sizes of lug nuts.
Good tip, that's the kind of thing that's so easily overlooked.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 09:08:17 AM »
Good tip, that's the kind of thing that's so easily overlooked.

So is making sure your spare is properly inflated....I carry a small 12 volt compressor and a tire plug kit...'cause you never know.
Why is it that the same people who use science to convince you of Global Warming,refuse DNA Science that proves you are male or female.

Government solves few problems that it does not first create.

Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

endurance

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 09:12:53 AM »
Good tip!  I never even thought to check the size of the lug nuts on our horse trailer. I seriously doubt they're the same as our truck.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 09:27:40 AM »
Amen to the OP.

As a grad student, I watched as my advisor - the head of the Dept. no less - took advantage of .gov surplus sales only open to .gov agencies
(it was a "public" university I attended), and he absolutely was going nuts, buying US Army field phones (no wire though), tent pegs (no tents),
welding rods (we had no welder), etc.

Moving our 28' trailer from one site to another (we were archeologists - allegedly), the electric brakes on the trailer locked up on one of the 4 wheels, and the
tire tread was shaved off where I could put my fist through the opening to the inside of the rim and never touch rubber. We dug through all of the crap in the trailer
only to find that (a) we had no spare, (b) no flares and (c) we had no lug wrench and the truck's wrench did not fit the trailer lugs. But we did have US Army field
phones (no wire though), tent pegs (no tents), welding rods (we had no welder), etc.  ;D  Luckily, a passing farmer talked with us - God bless the folks in central Illinois -
and brought back his tractor wrench so we could remove the wheel.

We limped slowly to the old Dixie Truck Stop on US 66 and bought everything we needed - retail of course, your tax dollars at work! - including a second spare.

The first thing I did when I bought my stock trailer was to get a lug wrench that fit the trailer. At a ranch auction, I picked up a second, the whole 2-is-1 thing.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these to others, and I require the same from them.

J.B. Books

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 01:17:00 AM »
hmmmm aren'tt here any "crosses"? 2 bars welded in a cross witha different socket in each end...What do yuo call them.
There are also folding "crosses" on the market, theya re good enough for passenger cars.
And do not forget the breakign bar

Offline keebler

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 07:55:16 AM »
4 Way lug wrench _ have them in every car, Tape the Actual one that fits .
keeb.
single. m. Senior, prepper, solar, Vandweller, Camper, Boondocker. living in the woods of southern Va.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2015, 02:59:18 PM »
hmmmm aren'tt here any "crosses"? 2 bars welded in a cross witha different socket in each end...What do yuo call them.
There are also folding "crosses" on the market, theya re good enough for passenger cars.
And do not forget the breakign bar

Check the sizes on the 4 way before you buy it. There are metric and standard, and different combos of sizes.
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle