Author Topic: Buddipole Featherweight Telescoping Antenna  (Read 695 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Buddipole Featherweight Telescoping Antenna
« on: September 03, 2017, 05:31:24 PM »
I picked up this antenna at the SEA-PAC hamfest last spring.  It was only $6 at the show ($7.50) retail) so I thought it could be an interesting backup whip for HF use when combined with a loaded coil.  That worked ok for the higher bands.  As expected 6,10,15,20 meters worked reasonably well.  I could get a tuner match a lower bands, but no signal reports to verify.

Link to whip: http://www.buddipole.com/fetewh.html

One thing to know about this little whip, is the threading is NOT the normal 3/8" x24, but a much smaller.

I used this larger magnetic mount with a 3/8x24 female thread.  So any CB style whip can thread in.  I find this mount very handy to keep in the tool kit.

Link to base: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015SWYWM6

Anyhow, what's pretty slick about the featherweight whip, is if you extend fully all section EXCEPT the bottom most, it's a convenient 1:1.5 SWR on 145mhz.  From my driveway I tested out several Winlink packet stations (all simplex) and made 3 connections further than 12 miles. 

I certainly wouldn't drive around with this configuration, but in a pinch when your primary mobile antenna isn't working (well enough) this is a handy item to keep in the trunk that can quickly be adjusted to a wide range of frequencies and bands.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Buddipole Featherweight Telescoping Antenna
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 06:13:36 AM »
  Yep, Antennas are where you find them. Good use of existing material.
Why is it that the same people who use science to convince you of Global Warming,refuse DNA Science that proves you are male or female.

Government solves few problems that it does not first create.

Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: Buddipole Featherweight Telescoping Antenna
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 06:40:56 AM »
Very nice.  Like you said, it's one more item in the tool kit, both literally an as a figure of speech.

Artes sunt magis quam instrumenta.