Author Topic: Buddipole Featherweight Telescoping Antenna  (Read 252 times)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Buddipole Featherweight Telescoping Antenna
« on: September 03, 2017, 05:31:24 PM »
I picked up this antenna at the SEA-PAC hamfest last spring.  It was only $6 at the show ($7.50) retail) so I thought it could be an interesting backup whip for HF use when combined with a loaded coil.  That worked ok for the higher bands.  As expected 6,10,15,20 meters worked reasonably well.  I could get a tuner match a lower bands, but no signal reports to verify.

Link to whip: http://www.buddipole.com/fetewh.html

One thing to know about this little whip, is the threading is NOT the normal 3/8" x24, but a much smaller.

I used this larger magnetic mount with a 3/8x24 female thread.  So any CB style whip can thread in.  I find this mount very handy to keep in the tool kit.

Link to base: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015SWYWM6

Anyhow, what's pretty slick about the featherweight whip, is if you extend fully all section EXCEPT the bottom most, it's a convenient 1:1.5 SWR on 145mhz.  From my driveway I tested out several Winlink packet stations (all simplex) and made 3 connections further than 12 miles. 

I certainly wouldn't drive around with this configuration, but in a pinch when your primary mobile antenna isn't working (well enough) this is a handy item to keep in the trunk that can quickly be adjusted to a wide range of frequencies and bands.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Buddipole Featherweight Telescoping Antenna
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 06:13:36 AM »
  Yep, Antennas are where you find them. Good use of existing material.
I refuse to punch back as I didn't come here to fight.

Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: Buddipole Featherweight Telescoping Antenna
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 06:40:56 AM »
Very nice.  Like you said, it's one more item in the tool kit, both literally an as a figure of speech.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."