Author Topic: Above Ground Pool for Fish Pond or Aquaponics?  (Read 583 times)

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
Above Ground Pool for Fish Pond or Aquaponics?
« on: September 10, 2017, 09:56:29 AM »
Wondering if something like these might make a good container(s) for fish as a meat source?

https://www.walmart.com/tp/above-ground-pools

Online David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Above Ground Pool for Fish Pond or Aquaponics?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 11:19:10 AM »
I would fear temperature fluctuations. But anything is possible.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 01:54:11 PM »
They do work.....but it depends on your location, and the species you want to raise. How many ppm of O2 required and can it get delivered? What temperature do that species of fish require? Do they need extreme heat in winter like tilapia do.

I hear catfish can puncture those pools, but I have no verification.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 10:38:42 AM »
I was thinking in a greenhouse...

The thermal mass of the water would also help control the temperature of the greenhouse

Years ago I did some initial research. If I remember small mouth bass are the best candidate. They indigenous and prolific in our area Buckley, WA 8b 15F to 20F.

Its too cold for tilapia outside, but I might be able to farm them in a greenhouse

https://www.google.com/search?q=aquaponic+commercial+fish&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiq35L2yp3WAhVCxVQKHRiqB0YQ_AUIDCgD&biw=1440&bih=831#imgrc=_
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:50:22 AM by Black November »

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 11:46:45 AM »
If I remember small mouth bass are the best candidate. They indigenous and prolific in our area Buckley, WA 8b 15F to 20F.

Or maybe it was LARGE mouth bass?

also just stumbled on this link to a local place:

http://anythingaquaponics.com/

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 05:22:28 PM »
BN - email me and remind me to put you in touch with the tilapia guy I interviewed for the paper. It will be worth the drive to hang out with him all day.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 02:37:39 PM »
I used a 4'x15' above ground pool for raising tilapia. In northern Missouri it gets too cold for tilapia in winter so they must be removed before then or harvested when they float up. I built a quail cage over the pool and the tilapia ate the food knocked from the quail cage and the quail fertilized the pool where I had pvc cages floating allowing duckweed to grow. Any duckweed outside the floating cage would be eaten by the tilapia.  It never gets cold enough here to freeze a pool that size, so cold tolerant and native species survived winter. I also ran minnows and shiners in the pool. They make a great supplement feed for ducks.

So yes, it is easy and possible. The larger the better, I purchased my pool for $50 off craigslist. Two years latter I drained it for cleaning and the wind caught it and destroyed it. It was just an experiment for me as I have multiple very nice ponds and more fish than I can eat. Just wanted to see how well it worked, and it worked well. I only fed the quail, no need to feed the fish in the setup I used. Now is the time of year to get cheap/free used pools.
www.JLMissouri.com      Lewis Family Farm