Author Topic: No Love for the .22 Hornet??  (Read 1692 times)

Offline blueyedmule

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
No Love for the .22 Hornet??
« on: November 04, 2012, 07:06:42 AM »
I went back through several TSP shows on firearms and listened to Jack talk about the versatility of the .22 Hornet. Anybody else have interest in these or thoughts? I already have a basic rifle/shotgun/handgun battery. My .22 is an old single-shot bolt-action. I have been considering the Hornet instead of staying with rimfires and buying a Marlin or Ruger semi-auto.
"God created Arrakis to train the faithful."

Offline classic3030

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: No Love for the .22 Hornet??
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 08:58:56 AM »
I have wanted a hornet for years.  They seem to always be asking a price just beyond what I can pay.  I recently got a T/C encore and have thought about a Hornet barrel for it.  But am also thinking about a .223 barrel.  More on that....

The hornet can be loaded to 22lr levels, 22 mag levels and of course 22 hornet levels.  I would look into getting it converted to the K-hornet.  This will still allow you to fire factory hornet ammo in it, but the brass will last much longer when you reload and you can get a few more fps out of it.  Do the conversion for the brass life not the fps.

My thoughts on the .223 barrel.  One, I can buy bulk ammo already loaded for pretty cheap and can then load down to other levels if I wish from the saved brass.  Since I have been on my quest for the 22 hornet, I have gotten a 22 mag and feel it fills some of the gap between the 22lr (have that too) and the .223.  So, for me now the .223 is making more sense.  But if I ever find a deal on a .22 hornet, I won't pass on it.

Offline benjaminbrasel

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 06:40:31 PM »
I recently  purchased a Savage 24 with 22 Hornet over 20 gauge.  It surprised me how accurate the the Hornet was.
Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent.
Dalai Lama

Offline CopperKnight

• Survivor
  • A protective shell is sometimes open space.
    • Survival WWYD
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 09:48:52 PM »
I've got the Hornet over a .410.  It's a fine little round, spendy to buy, though.  I didn't know they made them in semi-autos. 

I would go with a 223 if you are looking for  more than a .22 rimfire and will have the caliber in anything other than an accurate, slow-fire type gun. 
eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns.