Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Emergency Preparations / Re: Insect repellant woes
« Last post by Cedar on Today at 12:31:57 PM »
If you can make your own baby wipes, I don't see why you can't make bug wipes. You might even get a small package of baby wipes, intentially let them dry out, open a bottle of bug spray, pour the contents in. Seal it up.. RELABEL (!!!), And I'd still just stick in another ziplock.

Cedar
You could probably use it to clamp an oak barrel together, if you needed to. I’ve used it for dust collection purposes, too.  Anything you’d use a hose clamp on this will work on, as well or better, but it’s not as quick or easy.  It’s a versatile tool, but a bit fiddly in use, especially when you start, so just be prepared to waste a bunch of wire.  And don’t cheap out on the wire if you want a strong durable clamp.  That 304 stainless stuff works really well for most applications.

Cool tool.

Any specs on the wire? Can it be purchased cheaper through MSC, McMaster, or Zoro?
Check the power useage of the pellet stove...  you likely don't even need 2000watts of power - which means you'll kill the battery faster.

Besides the about ONE AMP to idle the inverter,it uses only what it is asked to produce(most are about 90% or so efficient) and many 'over sized' inverters are more efficient than a lower power inverter pushed to near it's maximum. A large inverter also is better able to handle the startup loads that often are not part of the equation.
The pellet stove uses a lot of power to get started and then very little to 'feed' as it runs,I forget how much,but it matters little as the inverter basically wastes minimal power to be 'oversized' .
Check the power useage of the pellet stove...  you likely don't even need 2000watts of power - which means you'll kill the battery faster.
I work on the engineering side of an engineering and surveying firm, but I've helped out on a few surveys, so I can offer a little advice. Almost all surveyors use GPS, as long as it will work in the area being surveyed. 90% of the work is establishing the first point, which would be a property pin in this case. Once that has be established, it's almost trivial to do the calculations to find the others and mark them as well. So I doubt you'll find someone who'll do one at 1/4 the cost, but on the flip side, if they're locating one, it'll probably be the same cost to confirm the locations of the other pins.

If you do get a surveyor, make sure they give you the exact GPS coordinates for each pin. The standard accuracy for GPS surveys, at least the ones I work with, is 1/10 of a inch. With exact coordinates, if you'd every need to reestablish a pin, the entire process would take another surveyor 15 minutes, start to finish, and be much cheaper as well. Additionally, you could find them yourself using a consumer GPS unit for much cheaper than a survey, as long as you didn't need to be accurate to more than about a foot.

Finally, if you're having problems with people vandalizing your pins or if you just never want to worry about locating them again, put in monuments. A surveyor can do that for you, for a very "reasonable" price, but they're really pretty simple to make and install yourself.

For materials for each one, you'll need a 1.5' - 2' piece of 6" - 8" plastic pipe, a bag of sakcrete, and a 2' piece of 3/4" rebar. First, place your pipe standing with one opening on the floor and one at the top in a place where you can leave them set for a week, once they're filled you can't move them until they cure. Putting plastic under them to protect what's underneath isn't a bad idea either.

Mix the sakcrete with water until it's about the consistency of cake batter, then fill up your piece of pipe. Embed your rebar a foot into the top of it so there's still a foot remaining past the concrete, then let it cure for about a week. To install, simply bury the pipe with concrete portion of the monument 2-3 inches below the surface of the ground, with the rebar being used as the pin above ground.

It takes some effort, but is very doable as a one-man job. Keeping the concrete in the pipe makes it easier to work with and prevents someone from smashing the concrete around the top of it and removing the pin. If want to be as accurate as possible, place two stakes approx. 4' off of the property pin before you remove it to place the monument and use them to triangulate the exact location for the rebar.

A standard monument is usually enough to dissuade anyone who would be inclined to mess with a property pin. Even if they break or cut the rebar at ground level, the other half that's encased in concrete and buried is a cinch to relocate with a metal detector or even a shovel, if you have good measurements. However, for ultimate in permanance, you could upgrade to a 12" corrugated plastic pipe, increase the length to 2' - 2.5', and use 1.5" - 2" rebar. The only way someone is making a dent in one of those is heavy equipment and/or contractor grade power tools. Of course, the downside is the increased cost of materials and it would be difficult to install as a one-man job.

Anyways, hopefully you can get something useful out of that info dump,
Medical Needs and First Aid / Re: 23 and me... as a survival tool?
« Last post by Smurf Hunter on Today at 11:01:40 AM »
I agree this might have bio-medical applications, but I am unsure this can verify where great-grandpa was really from.

Several centuries earlier, each respective region's gene pool was more homogeneous, so I'd expect correlating DNA to location would be fairly accurate back then.
Today populations are highly mobile.  Even discounting the "new world" we've had ethnic Germans in northern Italy, Greeks all over the Mediterranean, and the British Isles are filled with traces of invading cultures like Normans and Vikings.

My hypothesis is I'm mostly German with some British.  The "german" comes from 5+ descendants, and from at least 3 regions, so very possible to have some polish or other eastern european too.
Maybe there's some middle eastern, african or another surprise.  If so, I'm not sure how I'd go about attributing that on the family tree.
The HAM Radio Board / Re: Please cancel your ARRL membership (???)
« Last post by Cedar on Today at 09:50:45 AM »
I understand spelling issues ,but CEDAR...it is poetic that they HOED for a part in history....
It
And we Hams do public service as a big part of our community and the frequencies loaded to us.
Probably the many 'rejected' were not ICS qualified or failed some part of their background checks.
(or there may have been more than one group in case of air tragedy ?)

I think I have mentioned hating my phone a time or two? Especially around 3am?  It sucks being a former editor and having a 2x3" machine outwit you.

I might just see what happened to half the hams on a whim if I have some slack time, and calling abilities.

Cedar
First news of temporary changes to zoning, this from Gov Brown at State level.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/10/18/governor-issues-order-to-speed-up-fire-recovery-efforts/  Article doesnt say much

The order includes provisions that suspend planning and zoning requirements and state fees for manufactured homes and mobile home parks to help displaced residents in need of housing.

In addition, the order streamlines regulations to allow facilities overseen by the state Department of Public Health to remain open, extends a prohibition on price gouging,

This is NOT some over-riding change to zoning, it has provisions to let certain businesses (tasting rooms are mentioned) to open in a new location without alot of planning red tape. The other on Mobile homes makes sense as it can happen quickly displaced households are in an area without that many rentals -- well, no area would just have that many empty home to rent ! SO, an idea of letting mobile home parks open, and decreeing this at State level, as normally it is very, very hard, impossible realy in alot of areas to just go open a mobile home park. Also, you are allowed to live in a mobile home AFTER the permitting process is approved, in general, but not before, and likely not in a residential (small lot) neighborhood. SO, likely some of that is addressed, but the Merc News isnt enlightening us, per usual. So, my speculation is if residents would be allowed to camp out in a small one in the driveway while construction goes on ? Maybe not safe or sanitary enough, or enough room, frankly in those tight residential areas -- we will see if we get told more in the future.
The HAM Radio Board / Re: Please cancel your ARRL membership (???)
« Last post by Smurf Hunter on Today at 09:14:24 AM »
Another aspect of the OP I thought was odd was the gear.  Where the volunteer hams really told NOT to bring radios? 
In municipal jurisdictions with EOC, local police and fire departments, there's often some amount of gear staged in reserve.  Even though a few local fire houses have 2 meter stations with backup power, at a minimum every ARES volunteer I know would deploy with at least an HT.  Plenty of times I've worked some public service event, and been handed an 800mhz public safety radio, and never use any amateur bands or gear.

I suppose the disaster in PR is like nothing on the mainland, where perhaps there's a different volunteer culture.  I remember in the early 1980s my grandfather (a ham) doing ARES and MARS stuff.  He was a retired USAF officer, and maybe that stuff was just in his blood, but he took civic pride and volunteering for his community rather seriously.  Not every volunteer is as passionate, but most every local team I've interacted with has a least a few dedicated individuals of that caliber.

Imagine a severe weather event, or an imminent flood.  I know many ARES volunteers who would answer the call to put on their hip waders and fill sand bags if that was the greatest need.  Others would stay home unless there was something specific to radio.

Which kind of volunteer went to PR?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10