Author Topic: 'GASSING OUT' - Our Physical Limitations  (Read 3701 times)

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • "Don't let others live in your head rent free."
'GASSING OUT' - Our Physical Limitations
« on: November 02, 2009, 08:07:25 AM »
EVER GET TIRED?

Anytime we expend energy during the performance of a task, we invite fatigue into our output equation.

It is important to study how quickly our performance in combat (and other survival activities) deteriorates as we expend energy during a fight and what we can do to mitigate performance deterioration.

‘GASSING OUT’ - PERFORMANCE LIMITATIONS

Fitness is an integral part of combat and survival.

The combination or aerobic and anaerobic conditioning an individual has will enhance his ability to engage his opponent and survive or control the engagement’s outcome.

Understand that the body has limitations and even in the best of conditions an individual will only have 10-15 seconds of peak efficiency to control, apprehend, or neutralize a threat.

Expect to experience a serious decrease in strength and output as your energy system becomes depleted.

YOUR THREE BASIC ENERGY SYSTEMS

The human body relies on three energy systems to support exertion during tasks involving great amounts of stress and physical performance:

The ATP/PC System          -  Burns out in 10-15 seconds
The lactic Acid System       -  Burns out in 90 seconds
The Aerobic System          -  Last dominant System 90+ seconds

As you physically exert yourself, your ability to perform tasks and apply force makes a rapid decline as these three systems are tapped and depleted.

OPERATING EFFICIENCY EXPECTATIONS

Here's the general expectation of where you'll be operating as you deplete your energy systems:

- ATP/PC System operating at 100%

- LAS System operating at 55% at 30 seconds, and then a further decline to 35% operating efficiency after 60 sec.

- Aerobic System operating at 31% efficiency. Your last dominant system.

The Individual's probability of survival deteriorates substantially the longer the fight or performance tasks are prolonged.

Thus, finish the fight and render your subject passive as quickly as possible. You've got a limited burn time attached to your performance potentials.

MITIGATING PERFORMANCE DETERIORATION

Performance deterioration is a fact of life, but there are other variables that can support or have impacts on the outcomes of combat that should be noted:

OTHER PERFORMANCE VARIABLES

- FITNESS (Aerobic and Anaerobic)
- FREQUENCY OF EXPERIENCE (Task familiarity)
- MOTOR SKILL SELECTION (Trained responses, exposure to recent practice and repetitions)
- MINDSET, WILL, AND DETERMINATION
- CONFIDENCE AND BELIEF FACTORS
- DURESS DYSFUNCTIONS (SNS Engagement)

It's important to study not only our capabilities, but our limitations as well.

swanson
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 08:16:15 AM by swanson »

endurance

Re: 'GASSING OUT' - Our Physical Limitations
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 08:41:47 AM »
I'm a cycling coach on the side and work with a lot of high end athletes.  There's a secondary benefit beyond just the physical conditioning that comes with a regular workout routine; it improves your ability to endure suffering.  The deeper you know that well of inner strength is, the less the petty aches, pains, and nusances bother you and the more you can mentally push on through the fight.

IMHO, that's why Lance Armstrong had an unfair advantage over his competitors; compared to the rigors of chemo, racing a bike all over France seemed easy.

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • "Don't let others live in your head rent free."
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 08:53:20 AM »
There's a secondary benefit beyond just the physical conditioning that comes with a regular workout routine; it improves your ability to endure suffering.  The deeper you know that well of inner strength is, the less the petty aches, pains, and nusances bother you and the more you can mentally push on through the fight.
~ endurance

Well said.

swanson

Offline ANARCHYisnotCHAOS

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 12:11:10 PM »
Never had it broken down in such detail, a real eye opener to say the least. Another reason to scan an area for threats as far and wide as possible so as to stay on top of things to be ready BEFORE they happen. I have been trying to increase my endurance on the bench but no real progress yet.
Anarchy, the radical notion that you don't own other people.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 03:35:53 AM »
In a physiology class, I was told by my professor that at "exhaustion" (of a particular muscle/group) your actual muscles still have something like 70-75% of the ATP (I assume he meant precursors as well) that they started with - the biggest problem is the feedback loop that makes your brain think your muscle's about to burn a hole in your leg/arm/etc. due to the CO2 and calcium levels that have changed. A TENS unit canbe used to  force contractions for hours longer than your brain can, simply because of the pain threshold.

That seems to align well with what you're saying, but I wonder if it's accurate?
You can't run away on a world that's round.
You're only comin' back to where you'll be found.

Based on thorough experiments involving kissing in the rain, exposing shoulders to direct sunlight, and dancing by the light of a silvery moon,  I have found that, within the bounds of frostbite and decency, hapiness is inversely proportional to the amount of clothing worn.

Offline texmex

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • The Ministry Podcast
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 09:52:34 PM »
I'm a cycling coach on the side and work with a lot of high end athletes.  There's a secondary benefit beyond just the physical conditioning that comes with a regular workout routine; it improves your ability to endure suffering.  The deeper you know that well of inner strength is, the less the petty aches, pains, and nusances bother you and the more you can mentally push on through the fight.

IMHO, that's why Lance Armstrong had an unfair advantage over his competitors; compared to the rigors of chemo, racing a bike all over France seemed easy.
I feel that. When I roll jiu jitsu or wrestling I find myself digging deeper and deeper once I have exhausted my strength.