Author Topic: Getting back into exercise need advice  (Read 6075 times)

Offline Burton

• Survivalist Mentor
  • NOVA Prepper
Getting back into exercise need advice
« on: July 22, 2014, 08:03:02 AM »
For over ten years I trained for climbing, then sprained my ankle and life happened ... Flash forward a couple years and I haven't exercised since and I am now in my thirties.

I met a girl who does goruck challenges and in would like to join in the fun. Here is my problem ... Having been in PT for other issues I was told there at certain exercises I should never do, crunches, sit-ups, and supermans for example as they can destroy your back.

I am looking for a body weight, transitioning into free weight or added weight, fitness program which focuses on doing exercises which are less likely to cause injury but still get results. And I would like to do them in the house or at home.

I could care less about muscle mass or size all I care about is strength gain. Being an ectomorph I realize bulk isn't what I need to focus on.

I bought two books from some known physical therapist, one has stretches and the other exercises but because I have been spending so much time with other things I haven't had a chance to read me yet. I don't think either has a traditional strengthening program as they focus on exercises you should do to maintain mobility and reduce injury from every day life as well as PT recovery exercises.

I figured I would ask if anything exists like I am looking for before taking someone else's program and going through and modifying it to be safer.

Thoughts?

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
Re: Getting back into exercise need advice
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 08:55:08 AM »
Certain types of yoga may be able to help. Find a good instructor and tell them up front about your injuries, a good yogi will be able to suggest alternatives to poses and movements that could aggravate your injuries. After attending a few classes you can start to design a routine you can do on your own at home (this is what my 64-yo mother has done for the past 20 years. She's in great shape and has never had an injury).

Offline JokersWild

• TSP Mule
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • You can't save all the starfish.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 01:24:11 PM »
Have you considered resistance bands or possibly a body weight gym (found on Craigslist)? The yoga has also been suggested to me by more than one physician/physical therapist. The big problem I see is that you've got core strength issues that may impede your other goals, you might want to address those before any of the other since it sounds like you're limited to what you can do.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

"Government can do something for the people only in proportion as it can do something to the people." ~ Thomas Jefferson

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” - Albert Einstein

TANSTAAFL

Offline atheron

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 11:40:43 AM »
Kettlebells are a great tool for building strength at home, and they are excellent for strengthening your core and preventing further back injury.   I really like this kettlebell DVD from dragondoor http://www.dragondoor.com/shop-by-department/dvds/dv052/ .

It sounds like you have an existing injury though, so it might be wise to seek advice from a certified kettlebell instructor or a physical therapist familiar with their use before you get started.

endurance

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 01:47:49 PM »
I'd suggest either the yoga or pilates route to start building core strength, body balance and muscle strengthening in a smart way to prevent injuries.  Start with a pilates beginner mat workout class or yoga basics class, then buy some DVDs.  Get the basics down and build from there.  Personally, I can't think of anything better than pilates for a person starting from a point of injury, provided you talk with your instructor and keep them abreast of your challenges and pain.

Offline NotoriousAPP

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 04:21:30 PM »
time a couple years ago when I was also looking for a new exercise routine.  I spent the previous 15 years doing free weights in the gym and I just got burned out and had a couple injuries along the way.  I ended up taking a kettlebell class from a Groupon I found it was awsome!  My legs had never been so strong before and my overall all-around body strength was off the charts.  I still do it to this day and I do I enjoy it & I still sweat pretty hard which to me means I'm probably getting a pretty good workout.  I would advise however if you do start kettlebells to focus on the technique even if that means going slower than everyone in the class.

nelson96

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 05:45:02 PM »
I find that most people give up after a certain point if they limit their exercise to home-based routines.  I suggest swimming, biking, and running (or walking and hiking), along with a good healthy diet.  The extra stimuli can help keep you going even if you train alone.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 06:15:20 PM »
I would highly suggest swimming and walking at first. Start walking if it is within a mile of home if you need a gallon of milk, or the library or a friends house or....

After I fractured my back I was like a 400 year old woman. But I forced myself to park in the back of the parking lot and walk into the store. At first it was brutal, but then easy.

After a c-section and completely out of shape for having been in a high risk pregnancy for 7 months, again, it was difficult to walk 5 blocks to the library, then a mile to the store for milk... packing a baby.. but I made myself do it.. (or not allow myself to read). By continually doing things like that, always wearing a pack (a baby in this case who kept growing and adding weight), a year later I was doing 10 milers in 4 hours, 500 ft elevation with a 30 pound pack.

I am currently back to needing to get back to the 10 milers since I had been sick or injured from December to 6 weeks ago.

Even if you end up not physically being able to do GoRuck, perhaps you can be her support crew or work on the event as a volunteer and still have alot of fun. It is volunteers who make the events happen.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Offline NCFreedom

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 03:35:33 AM »
When I was looking into getting into better shape a few years ago, I looked at www.bodybuilding.com  and found a plan that worked for me.  They have all kinds of stuff from video exercise demo's to nutrition plans to a "Find a plan"  thing that goes though you and your goals and lists of different plans.  Its not just for bodybuilding, it has all kinds of different stuff. 

Most people I've told about it are hesitant b/c of the name, but give it a few minutes worth of looking and see for yourself. 

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
Colossians 3:23-24

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 01:33:25 PM »
Keep in mind, there are multiple kinds of Yoga.  There's Hot yoga (practiced in a hot room), Bikram Yoga, and the gentler/more relaxed Chinese form of Yoga.  Yoga is definitely good for static (long term position holding) strength, a kind very useful for every-day posture and health, as well as holding your position while skiing or rock-climbing.

You might consider Tai Chi from a healing-focused instructor.  The movements are designed to be very gentle and restorative, but over time the movements do build muscle in a gentle way.  The deep understanding of the movements can also be used for self defense if you train with an instructor who has focus on that, or you eventually train in other martial arts as well.

There is also a focus on static strength in most of the widely-practiced forms of Tai chi, vs the Dynamic Strength used for jumping, or quickly punching or kicking.

I'd stay away from anyone who starts talking about dolphins, or who's introduction to the art involves talking about "cosmic energy" instead of focusing on the movements though.

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining

Offline helix2301

• Survivor
  • techgeek and ham radio operator
    • The Technology Geek Podcast
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2015, 12:53:50 PM »
For over ten years I trained for climbing, then sprained my ankle and life happened ... Flash forward a couple years and I haven't exercised since and I am now in my thirties.

I met a girl who does goruck challenges and in would like to join in the fun. Here is my problem ... Having been in PT for other issues I was told there at certain exercises I should never do, crunches, sit-ups, and supermans for example as they can destroy your back.

I am looking for a body weight, transitioning into free weight or added weight, fitness program which focuses on doing exercises which are less likely to cause injury but still get results. And I would like to do them in the house or at home.

I could care less about muscle mass or size all I care about is strength gain. Being an ectomorph I realize bulk isn't what I need to focus on.

I bought two books from some known physical therapist, one has stretches and the other exercises but because I have been spending so much time with other things I haven't had a chance to read me yet. I don't think either has a traditional strengthening program as they focus on exercises you should do to maintain mobility and reduce injury from every day life as well as PT recovery exercises.

I figured I would ask if anything exists like I am looking for before taking someone else's program and going through and modifying it to be safer.

Thoughts?

I recommend DDPYoga I used the program I lost 35 pounds and my joins feel great. A lot of football players, wrestlers and ufc guys use it. The program was designed for people with injuries and to help them heal with very little joint impact.

Offline helix2301

• Survivor
  • techgeek and ham radio operator
    • The Technology Geek Podcast
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 03:22:55 PM »

Thoughts?

I am a ddpyoga instructor great cardio with little joint impact. The other thing you may want to try is cross training I myself have not done it but my friend is a trainer he raves about it. Few ideas for you. A personal trainer that can setup a plan for you might be an idea.

Offline JokersWild

• TSP Mule
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • You can't save all the starfish.
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 08:17:39 AM »
Great idea on the trainer. The caveat being that trainers go from completely to suck to moderate to a few who truly know what they're doing other than padding their pocket. Observationally I've noticed that the trainers at my gym all use more or less the same routine for each client. If you can find a non-affiliated trainer I think your prospects go up with having a more customized routine than not.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

"Government can do something for the people only in proportion as it can do something to the people." ~ Thomas Jefferson

“Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” - Albert Einstein

TANSTAAFL