Author Topic: falling off a roof ?  (Read 2125 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
falling off a roof ?
« on: January 17, 2015, 01:49:01 AM »
 A second person I have known has fallen off a roof and broken 8 ribs. My brother in law fell off a roof years ago and hurt himself pretty bad ..

If you fall like that, any ideas on how to decrease the possibility of the worst types of injuries ? I wonder if being relaxed can effect it ..

I am not sure which would be the best way to land or if you can really control it much

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: falling off a roof ?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 04:27:26 AM »
While not recommended, being relaxed, and having a slow reaction time is why drunks average less injury during a wreck than non-drunks.

A PLF, parachute landing fall, could theoretically help prevent or reduce injury, but I see no effective way of utilizing the technique during an unexpected fall.

There is only so much a fall breaking technique can do.

A fall restraint is the most effective way, but I know most roofers don't use them.

A relative of a friend graduated high school on a Friday, went to work for roofing company the following Monday. On his first day he fell off the roof, broke his neck, and was paralyzed from the neck down.

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 07:21:05 AM »
Happens up here in the winter. I've fallen twice but landed safely in snow drifts both times. If you can have a "better landing area" you can orient toward you might save yourself some real hurt. A 5 foot snow drift is pretty forgiving in a 10 foot fall.

The stories of drunks surviving falls are legend. Some guy up here survived a 14 story fall while intoxicated a few years back. I don't know if I'd recommend getting bombed before climbing on an icy roof.  :-\

Sorry to hear about the hurt friends!
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline cidyl

• Prepper
  • Newbie TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 08:59:11 AM »
Have a buddy that shattered both ankles jumping down from a 12' height, a couple surgeries later he still has some loss of function and chronic pain.  He wouldn't be walking at all without the surgery.

I have roof mounted solar panels that need to be cleared of snow after each storm, attached eyebolts through the roof (secured to the rafters in the attic) and wear a climbing harness whenever I go up there to do it.  About $100 and a couple hours, time and money well spent.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 09:41:05 AM »
If you fall like that, any ideas on how to decrease the possibility of the worst types of injuries ? I wonder if being relaxed can effect it ..

How about prevention? A climbing harness, and someone who can belay you or tie off. Always have a spotter and someone to hold the ladder. Don't work up there when it is raining. Wear the right kind of footware for the style of roof. Those are areas for starters.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."