Author Topic: About Parkour Training...  (Read 2714 times)

Offline Sephiroth

• Senior Survivalist
  • Peak Oil !?? Nah....
About Parkour Training...
« on: February 11, 2015, 07:18:42 AM »
Good evening,

I have been seeing a lot of people in the "Prepper Community" talk about Parkour. What i wonder is, why ? Is it that amazing and usefull ?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/445677-how-does-parkour-affect-the-body/

Granted. The ability of free-running and going through obstacles is a good thing. In a disaster scenario, if one has to run to make an escape, Parkour would give an edge to such person. Or be a huge problem if attackers can Parkour right ? But what about health issues ?

Parkour looks like something for the young and fit to me. And also looks to have a toe on our body. Maybe, Parkour is not meant for the human body at all ages/conditions... Soldiers train it, but then again, they are soldiers.

A disaster scenario brings obstacles to daily life. i wonder if i should pursue this, at age 32 and physically in shape, could be a good idea.... Or not. Maybe sticking to Krav-Maga and regular exercices is best....

What do you think folks ?
"Expect for the best prepare for the worst."

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: About Parkour Training...
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 02:41:33 PM »
You never see the parkour failure videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCGX0YnuXtg
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 06:51:28 PM »
A disaster scenario brings obstacles to daily life. i wonder if i should pursue this, at age 32 and physically in shape, could be a good idea.... Or not. Maybe sticking to Krav-Maga and regular exercices is best....

What do you think folks ?

Don't.  After your teenage years, the recovery time from even a minor slip is too long.  What you'd gain in fitness and evasion skill is easily offset by time spent laying around on the sofa waiting for bones to heal.  Plenty of other exercises that don't carry as high a penalty for everyday mistakes.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."

Offline IronTeaCup

• Survivor
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 08:29:23 PM »
It could be a fun hobby but in a disaster you don't want to do big dangerous movements. Road biking is a great prepper activity because it allows you to see where you can get in a day. same with hiking. now biking you will have to worry about falling.

They say biking is high impact only because of the falls. Parkour is all high impact. I wouldn't do it unless I was around 100lbs and naturally that lite.

Offline Sephiroth

• Senior Survivalist
  • Peak Oil !?? Nah....
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 03:24:49 AM »
You never see the parkour failure videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCGX0YnuXtg

Carl, why do this to me.... LOL

Next month i will attend some Parkour free lessons. It is the "light" version of Parkour that does not have the crazy stuff such as jumping building tops and down moves that even an Olympic gymnast has trouble doing... It only has basic obstacles and focuses more on physical fitness...

I´ll give a feedback on it when i had some lessons !

"Expect for the best prepare for the worst."

endurance

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 05:30:35 AM »
I think it's fun to watch folks that have a real talent for it.  For training, anything that you have a passion and aptitude for is a good thing to do.  Without enjoyment folks don't maintain fitness and that's where weight and health maintenance become problems.  Running, hiking, biking, climbing, xc. Skiing, snowshoeing, basketball, football; anything that hooks you and makes you want to get off the couch is a positive. Some activities require moderation or recovery periods, some demand an off season, some go better with crosstraining to balance muscle groups, and some are whole body and need few breaks.

My point is that most of us will die of cardiovascular or pulmonary issues, not the zombie apocalypse, so anything that reduces that risk is a good thing. America has a weight and lethargy issue so if you find something you love that gets your butt out of a couch every week, more power to ya.