Author Topic: Learning from some of the most dangerous jobs  (Read 1838 times)

endurance

Learning from some of the most dangerous jobs
« on: February 18, 2015, 09:59:53 AM »
http://breakingmuscle.com/military-first-responders/are-you-fit-enough-to-fight-fire-training-for-heat-acclimation

between 1977 and 2012 there were 4,410 firefighter fatalities. Three-quarters of those deaths occurred during a time other than an on-scene fire and were non-incident related. Nearly half of them were due to heart attacks.

Surviving the shift or surviving the event itself isn't enough. Fitness has to be at the core of your survival plan if you really want to be able to survive today AND tomorrow.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Learning from some of the most dangerous jobs
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 10:19:21 AM »
If you are questioning if you are fit.... borrow and wear full turnouts, including boots, and run up a couple flights of stairs or a hillside.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

endurance

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
If you are questioning if you are fit.... borrow and wear full turnouts, including boots, and run up a couple flights of stairs or a hillside.

Cedar
While on air with a 45 minute bottle. ;)

When I was walking last weekend I realized why it was so easy to move so fast... I had no weight on me. We have four 45 pound weight vests for the pack test at the fire station and I'm going to see if I can snag one for some of my day hikes coming up. That brings a simple day hike to a completely different level.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 02:14:21 PM »
I'd bet quite a few are related to high stress/high-low temps combined with a Heavy meal before the call. Many don't realize the added stress on the Heart after a large meal then heavy work with high-low temps, it's a recipe for a short life even when you're young and fit, forget being 30 lbs overweight and very Adult.