Author Topic: Kali/Escrima  (Read 2535 times)

FarmerJim

Kali/Escrima
« on: May 18, 2015, 08:37:47 PM »
Hey Yall I had the chance to attend a pretty private Kali (Filipino Martial Art) class on Sunday and I greatly enjoyed it. Me, the Guru and 1 other (experienced) student. Anyone else had the chance to try it out? What did you think?

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
Re: Kali/Escrima
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 09:05:24 PM »
After over 25 years in the Martial Arts studying primarily Korean and Japanese styles, I found FMA.  I've been studying various forms of it and even encouraged my wife to study some of the more modern derivations of it.

Considering where it originated and why, I think it's a great martial art as long as you don't get too deeply into some of the various mixtures of Kool-Aid that some practitioners whip up.  Stick with the basics and have fun with it.  You'll find it's a very adaptable and practical martial art.

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

I once filled the best and brightest of our young men and women with important knowledge. . .now, I just get paid for my opinions.  Ain't Life Grand?

FarmerJim

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 09:55:08 PM »
Thanks! I agree fully. My local instructor prides himself on being a "normal guy" with a 9-5 who simply does this as a passion (mind you he's certified from both the Phillipines and the U.S.) he jokes about how US students have "ADHD" and so he changes weapon focus every 6 weeks (now is single stick and next is empty hand)

Offline Aceman

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 08:54:57 AM »
I AM NOT a KAli/Escrima/Arnis practitioner.  I will say this though - I LOVE the idea of that art.

To me - it is essentially the fundamentals of hand held weapons taken to the extreme.  Whereas most styles go to specific techniques - they hit the basics until they are natural.

I would recommend it as a core art for anyone interested in ANY sort of weapons training.  (And I know it applies to more than just weapons)

30+ year Chinese internal Martial artist and Kobodu practitioner.   I'd hit Fillipino styles early if I had my life to live over.

Offline aggieprepper

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 11:23:05 AM »
I am NOT a Kali/Escrima practitioner, but would love to find a place that teaches it and have the chance to learn. 

That being said, I have trained in various other arts that have a weapons focus within the art and love training with weapons.  Really though, weapons are just an extension of your body and are great to train with no matter what art you practice.

Offline island1

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 03:22:44 PM »
I have practiced Kali-Kun Tao for about 2 years from a local instructor and practitioner of >35 years.

It is a very street level practical art form of fighting, unusually operating from a attacked to counter attack situation and dealing with the variables with techniques and when to employ them.

Our class comprises of open hand techniques, joint locks, some ground fighting ( but not much) and weaponry such as escrima stick, knife counter attacks and defence, as well as the karambit.
We drill these movements constantly, to develop the flow when countering an attack, and follow-up to make sure the attacker is severely disabled or has completely "stopped"..

If you can find a good local instructor well versed in FMA, I highly recommend it.
For females, I think it's a no non sense self defence for
the streets, and builds their confidence.

Besides, it's fun when practicing the techniques and you'll discover what techniques work and don't well work for you.
I'm a fairly short person, some techniques will not work on somebody way taller than me!

BUT you'll move to another technique that may work as you'll learn to flow around the attacker. Improvisation is encouraged in our class to develop instinctive memory to move away or to the threat if opportunity exist for counter attack.

"YOUR LIFE is really easy, just live and keep moving -  that's it. It's hard because OTHERS make it so"