Author Topic: D & D for weight loss  (Read 4187 times)

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
D & D for weight loss
« on: September 01, 2015, 06:32:08 PM »
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/08/30/this-guy-lost-47-pounds-in-months-by-pretending-to-be-wizard/?intcmp=trending

Hey, I'm all for whatever works.

...He started doing workouts inspired by one of his passions, The Lord of the Rings.  The workout is called “Eye of Sauron,” and it was created by Andrew Deutsch, the head coach and owner of Nerdstrong Gym in North Hollywood, California.

Deutsch started Nerdstrong in his garage in 2013, when he became the personal fitness trainer for the dungeon master at his Dungeons & Dragons group. Since then, he’s created workouts designed to appeal to people more interested in Dr. Who and Star Wars than kettlebells.

Nerdstrong isn’t the only gym trying to create a safe space for people who normally avoid gyms. Mark Fisher Fitness in New York City takes a similar approach, catering to Broadway buffs, nerds, geeks, and unicorn lovers. As owner and founder Fisher describes it, his gym is “like the isle of Misfit toys.”

Like Nerdstrong, Fisher offers themed workouts inspired by pop culture fictions that his members enjoy, which include movies like Point Break, The Big Lebowski, and Back to the Future, as well as ninja and superhero workouts.

It’s also a place to, well, let’s say let your freak flag fly.

“We make it a space that’s safe for someone who wants to dress as an S&M unicorn pirate,” explains Fisher.

This is actually quite inspired.  Maybe I should have put this in the "Create your own job" thread.  It seems you could take almost any obsession hobby and turn it into an appealing workout and start a business. 
Smite us now, oh mighty SMOD!  Like crap from a giant asscrack, so wipe us from the face of the earth.  FreeLancer

OIL LADY'S DEFINITION OF A PREPPER: A prepper is someone who takes advantage of the monetary freedom offered by good economic conditions of non-wartime prosperity to stockpile for himself readily available supplies and equipment of a lifestyle-supporting nature. He specifically chooses to engage in such stockpiling during easy economic times so that when bad economic times eventually cycle around again, he will be prepared to engage in the self-preserving undertaking of riding out a lengthy period of scarcity of those same supplies and equipment without harming others in the process. The goal of the prepper is to be fully self-sufficient at all times --good times and bad-- without breaking laws or causing harm to others.

Offline danimal

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: D & D for weight loss
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 08:53:43 PM »
And I thought I could wave a freak flag. Wow. Hmmmm. Now that I think about it, someone told me about a group of people that buy/build foam swords and chase each other around in "battles" at local parks. Not SCA. Foam swords. But like the OP says, whatever works.

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 09:42:21 PM »
I can attest from much personal experience that wearing a suit of chainmail, axes, knives, surcoat, boots, etc. weighing in around 50 lbs is a crazy workout. Walking around in the hot sun wearing that getup is draining. When Gen Con was still in Milwaukee I'd dress 4 days in a row and by the end be dragging.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline Gulo gulo

• Senior Survivalist
  • Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 04:43:02 AM »
And I thought I could wave a freak flag. Wow. Hmmmm. Now that I think about it, someone told me about a group of people that buy/build foam swords and chase each other around in "battles" at local parks. Not SCA. Foam swords. But like the OP says, whatever works.

It's called LARP (Live Action RolePlay).

i have kids BTW, in before the virgin jokes. Only til 24.

Offline danimal

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 07:53:52 AM »
No judgement! I don't do the real metal armor thing either. A friend does and they beat the crap out of each other with wood staff/swords.

I am looking online for a Nerdstrong T shirt!

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 08:17:04 AM »
Good for them, whatever works.  If that is what it takes to get folks healthier and/or more fit, awesome.

Kind of makes me think of Christopher McDougall's Natuaral Born Heroes.  His basic theory is that being a hero is a skill set that can be learned.  The book is a little more disjointed than his first big book, Born to Run, but still really interesting and far more applicable to preppers.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 08:26:52 AM »
No judgement! I don't do the real metal armor thing either. A friend does and they beat the crap out of each other with wood staff/swords.

I am looking online for a Nerdstrong T shirt!

That's the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism). It is a fun way to get a workout, get your inner nerd out, and bruise a rib. Ask me how I know.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 09:56:38 PM »
As far as the foam swords, one of the organizations doing that is "AMTGuard.  It has classes and leveling and experience for showing up to different events (with more xp for big events that are all day than 1/2 morning events).

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 07:28:41 PM »
I gave up the SCA about 15 years ago when my local group in Colorado started getting even wierder than normal.

However, since I have moved back to the area where we first started, the wife and I have considered going back, especially for the Heavy Weapons Fighting.  As others have pointed out, it is a hell of a workout.

I saw an article on my Fox News App that spoke of the guy in the OP's post.  I thought it was genius.  As many know, it takes motivation to keep going to the gym and the trainers who came up with this LoTR-based workout had a great idea if it keeps people coming back.

I had a similar idea for what I wanted to call Warrior's Yoga, sort of a mix between Tai Chi and Yoga moves done to a mix of inspiring mood music aimed at getting guys (and appropriately-minded women) into the gym to stretch and "bond" in a Warrior's Mindset.  I might have to revisit the idea.

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

I once filled the best and brightest of our young men and women with important knowledge. . .now, I just get paid for my opinions.  Ain't Life Grand?

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 08:48:42 PM »
I saw an article on my Fox News App that spoke of the guy in the OP's post.  I thought it was genius.  As many know, it takes motivation to keep going to the gym and the trainers who came up with this LoTR-based workout had a great idea if it keeps people coming back.

That was my thought when I saw the article.  Genius. 

I had a similar idea for what I wanted to call Warrior's Yoga, sort of a mix between Tai Chi and Yoga moves done to a mix of inspiring mood music aimed at getting guys (and appropriately-minded women) into the gym to stretch and "bond" in a Warrior's Mindset.  I might have to revisit the idea.

The Professor

I say go for it!
Smite us now, oh mighty SMOD!  Like crap from a giant asscrack, so wipe us from the face of the earth.  FreeLancer

OIL LADY'S DEFINITION OF A PREPPER: A prepper is someone who takes advantage of the monetary freedom offered by good economic conditions of non-wartime prosperity to stockpile for himself readily available supplies and equipment of a lifestyle-supporting nature. He specifically chooses to engage in such stockpiling during easy economic times so that when bad economic times eventually cycle around again, he will be prepared to engage in the self-preserving undertaking of riding out a lengthy period of scarcity of those same supplies and equipment without harming others in the process. The goal of the prepper is to be fully self-sufficient at all times --good times and bad-- without breaking laws or causing harm to others.

Offline Elwyn

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 01:24:59 AM »
I gave up the SCA about 15 years ago when my local group in Colorado started getting even wierder than normal.

However, since I have moved back to the area where we first started, the wife and I have considered going back, especially for the Heavy Weapons Fighting.  As others have pointed out, it is a hell of a workout.

The Professor

I stopped playing in the SCA about 15 years ago also. I moved to the Midwest and they are SNOBS here. If you do not belong to a click no one will talk to you. But when I was in the SCA I got my work out being a merchant, hauling ALL those totes, canvas day shade, and canvas tent to the merchant field and setting up, then packing up and hauling ALL that stuff back to the car.

Some time in the future I'm planning on moving to Florida and hop to get back into the SCA. IT kept me out of trouble. LOL

Elwyn
Per pale Or and gules, three crosses patonce counterchanged