Author Topic: unsexed seaberry  (Read 388 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
unsexed seaberry
« on: March 28, 2017, 09:17:55 AM »
I ordered unsexed seaberry seedlings from burnt ridge nursery. They are no longer on their website

But this site says:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/501856145/seaberry-unsexed-hippophae-rhamnoides?ref=market

"unsexed plants- routinely 50% or more female plants "

==========

I am not sure if that was the best option or if I should get a female plant ? It seemed like I was getting a bunch of seedlings for a buck or two each so I went with that. I have never grown these before.

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: unsexed seaberry
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 09:45:21 AM »
If you've got 5-10 plants, you should be OK. They're dominantly female from seed, but with that many, odds are you'll get a male too. If you only have 2-3, I'd buy a male. Seedlings are good if you're going to start a seaberry thicket in a remote corner of our land. If you want to cultivate for production, you'll want sexed plants so you can minimize the number of males, and space them evenly among females for optimal pollination.

It comes down to your goals.

"I'm going to plant a bunch, whatever I get, I get, I may pick some when they're in season, but it's not a major part of my food preps and diet"
In this case, go with bulk seedlings.

"I want to store 30 Quarts of seaberry, frozen, dehydrated or canned each year to cover a nutrition gap in my food preps"
In this case, buy sexed plants and plan the area for intensive cultivation.
A good government may, indeed, redress the grievances of an injured people; but a strong people can alone build up a great nation. - Thomas Francis Meagher