Author Topic: finger protextion  (Read 1552 times)

Offline POCKETS

• Prepper
finger protextion
« on: July 22, 2017, 11:26:48 AM »
Firing any handgun above a .22 my trigger finger takes a beating. HURT! Does it ever!  I thought I might be rubbing the trigger guard but on close inspection - Negative.  I am trying to develop a callus but to no avail.  Any ideas on how I can eliminate this problem or at least protect my finger?

Many thanks,
Pockets

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
Re: finger protextion
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 12:14:17 PM »
What firearms are you using and exactly where on your trigger finger is it causing problems? What style of grip(your hand position) are you using? How large/small are your hands?

I'm trying to imagine where the problem could be without any luck. Usually if someone is having a problem with their trigger finger it is caused by a sharply serrated/grooved trigger. Otherwise, it's usually the second knuckle that takes a beating against the triggerguard, but I've only heard of that happening with certain guns and larger cartridges.
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 02:37:21 PM »
 :popcorn:
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Radios are pointless without someone trained to use them.

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 04:54:37 PM »
:popcorn:

+1

I've fired up to 44 mag without problems. Nothing more powerful. I like my hands.
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Ain't no such thing as free shipping either ~ Redman

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 05:18:54 PM »
  Off hand ,I would say that you need to increase your grip strength so the recoil won't cause as much rotation in your hand and the trigger finger  will not get so abused. Your whole arm should move with recoil yet the grip should maintain gun position in the hand so the trigger or trigger guard will not bind the finger and I prefer to smooth and round off all sharp edges of the trigger and trigger guard also. I have fired 444 Marlin and 45-70 in a lightweight Thompson Contender also my favorite 'hard to shoot gun' is a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug with 44 Special +P rounds that are near 44 Mag level and they are very hard on the hand (though safe pressures) as the gun weights so little.I also shoot 357 Herrett and 308 in the TC.

Grip the gun so your hand travels with the gun and you will fare btter,except when shooting single action as they are best when allowed to rotate in the grip and the finger pays the price then.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline POCKETS

• Prepper
Re: finger protection
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 08:10:58 AM »
I am shooting a Sig Sauer SC 9mm and I would say I have average size hands. The trigger and guard are smooth metal.  I will increase my grip.
Pockets

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 09:33:55 AM »
I am shooting a Sig Sauer SC 9mm and I would say I have average size hands. The trigger and guard are smooth metal.  I will increase my grip.
Pockets

I suggest a good tennis ball or spring 'finger exerciser' and practice gripping with (empty gun) as hard a grip as you can for several repetitions a day ...without involving the trigger finger in the tension exercise and within three weeks you should see good improvement.

Also...the Sig is a great gun , I have a few full size ones ...the sub compact requires a solid grip or you might have a misfeed from time to time.

Offline POCKETS

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 11:05:56 AM »
One way, that I think that will help alleviate my problem is to heavily tape my trigger finger.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 12:14:02 PM »
  For practice ,where many shots are fired...maybe...
though trigger FEEL is important and tape will only isolate you further from your weapon while we want you better aquainted with it.
When you improve your grip ,your consistency and accuracy will improve

Offline Redman

• Senior Survivalist
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 04:06:22 AM »
Pockets

Ah, sort of a 1911 45 ACP lookalike. I was thought that with the 1911 one should take a death grip on it.
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Ain't no such thing as free shipping either ~ Redman

Offline Shawlition

• Fledgling Prepper
    • 8 great adult chat apps and games
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 10:18:36 PM »
Gripmaster hand exercises work really well. I think they have some that look and feel like the curvature of handguns.

Offline Davew223

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 11:35:46 AM »
Watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChSazF41q-s

The part that pertains to your post starts at about 9' 30" but do watch the entire video, it's loaded with good information.

Jerry Miculek is not just another guy on the internet, this guy really is one of the best in the world.  Last time I saw him shoot in a match he "looked" slow but every shot was a hit and it was the fastest time for that stage at the match.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 12:00:40 PM »
Watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChSazF41q-s

The part that pertains to your post starts at about 9' 30" but do watch the entire video, it's loaded with good information.

Jerry Miculek is not just another guy on the internet, this guy really is one of the best in the world.  Last time I saw him shoot in a match he "looked" slow but every shot was a hit and it was the fastest time for that stage at the match.

You know that you are talking about a neighbor and shootin' buddy of mine....he is a good as they come.

Offline shadowalker_returns

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 06:22:55 PM »
do you have sweating palms? Have you tried using shooting gloves? I've found shooting gloves have helped some of my family members who were having grip problems.

Regards,
Shadowalker
Want proof that the worst Disasters all begin with man: Godzilla = 28, Tokyo = 0

Offline POCKETS

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 10:01:09 AM »
Problem solved!  NEW handgun.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2017, 02:53:15 PM »
Problem solved!  NEW handgun.

So THAT'S why they make so many different kinds of hand gun......I thought it was to have a collector market. :)