Author Topic: This years garden fun  (Read 476 times)

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
This years garden fun
« on: August 07, 2017, 12:09:53 PM »
Each year for the last 10 years I have always tried to put up a few items in the raised beds and containers that I have.  This years crop was going to be peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, sweet peas, and garlic.

Like the last few years the results have been less than good.  The cats or other animals got into the potatoes and chewed up all of the plants. So batting zero there.  The seeds for the peppers and tomatoes must have been bad, so batting a zero there.  I just finished harvesting the sweet peas, and they have turned out quite well.  I am having a bumper crop of sunflowers due to the vigor of the local squirrel population deciding that my planters were for their growing pleasure.

It is too early to harvest the garlic, but based on the stalks a few of the ones I have planted should at least provide replacement seed sets. 

As bad as this year sounds; it is better than I have had over the last 5 years...Each of those years I had 1" of pea size hail freeze out everything I had growing.
Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: This years garden fun
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 02:42:00 PM »
The seeds for the peppers and tomatoes must have been bad, so batting a zero there.  ........I just finished harvesting the sweet peas, and they have turned out quite well

Has it been cool there? Peas do well with cold, peppers need 70F to germinate and up to 2 weeks to germinate, tomatoes can be less warm, but still like it warm. Both are from South America, so they are geared to sprout at warmer temps. Start peppers indoors with bottom heat if possible. I often start them under the woodstove.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."

Online surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 03:59:29 PM »
 My garden is a little weedy but keeps me occupied. Those Saturday mornings when I am feeling kind of lousy from a long week and can hardly get myself out of bed, I just go out in the garden and poke around at my own pace, see what's growing, pull up some weeds, harvest some romaine etc. I have one peach tree that has gotten decent size and I have gotten 10 decent peaches or so (some still on the tree). I got some aronia berries as well.

I have a fence now and it is the first year in the last couple that rabbits and woodchucks haven't devastated everything

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 05:03:21 PM »
yes, I agree with cedar, either start your tomato and pepper seeds with heat or buy the plants from the store as it sounds like you are not growing very many. If it is so cold there, you will not be able to grow peppers. you can find varieties of tomatoes that may work. I would carefully choose a variety or two of tomato, start indoors, do not transplant out until June. Try growing some crops that are easier to get a yield as you improve your soil, like Kale or Chard. Replant some of your garlic cloves this November. Work on soil health, just keep improving it. You may want to make little mini-hoop houses over your raised beds, bend PVC pipe over the bed, partially cover the top with plastic, leave teh sides open for some air. Look up other ideas like this for your tough area, talk to local gardeners to see what they get.

Red russian kale grows when it hits frost temps here, so try that for a summer crop where you are, you can dry it too to use inthe winter, tasty and very nutritious
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 07:22:23 AM »
I have had some good luck with peppers and strawberries in the past.   The seeds were suspect and I should have proofed them by staring the plants indoors.  The garlic seems to be doing quite well, and the sweet peas were protected by wire mesh to support the need for the plants to climb.   

My old favorite seed company is long gone and now.  So I am scavenging some of my old seed packages that are a bit past their prime. This winter I will setup my large container and grow a set of tomato curtains in my bay window.

I have two critical areas that have caused failures in tomatoes and peppers.  I live about 7k up and I am subject to good amount of hail during the growing season.   Plants just don't like it when they are pelted with frozen ice 2 - 3 times during the summer.  The second is due to the loss of my old  Australian shepherd.   With no dog in the yard, the fuzzy critters insist on helping me with the garden.

I guess my garden now is comprised dozens of sunflower plants, 3 rabbits, 8 squirrels, and a periodic visit form 7 wild turkeys.   
Brad(bn4) - In Colorado