Author Topic: How to determine what is eating the fruit on my trees?  (Read 531 times)

Offline TxMom

• Survivalist Mentor
How to determine what is eating the fruit on my trees?
« on: August 08, 2017, 01:36:00 PM »
We have about a dozen fruit trees most about 3-5 years old.  Rest of area is hardwood trees along with a spring fed creek which flows year around.
We don't live there yet, but as it is close by I am over there more than once a week. 
Now the they bearing fruit we would love to be able to eat it.  What we ran into last year and this is that the pears, apples and apricots all disappear. 
Earlier this year the trees with the earlier apples and pears were completely bare of all fruit, none on the ground, none in sight, not even a crumb. The pears were close to ripe, but the apples were not. 
Yesterday I was sad to see all the other apple, pear and apricot trees where completely bare of fruit.  Last year too. 
We also have blueberries and blackberries (lots of wild ones in the area too).  The birds will eat some of the blueberries, but we still get a good share.

There are deer, rabbit, squirrel in the area, an occasional fox along with a variety of birds.

When the trees where little we made little cages out of fence wire to protect their trunks.  Later we took them off. We never had problems with deer eating the bark, branches, even though I have see tracks in that area.

We could fence out the deer if they are the culprits, but several friends say it is probably squirrels as some of the fruit is higher than what the deer should be able to reach.  What is strange is there is not one piece of fruit left behind anywhere.  If squirrels are the problem we will need another solution. 

Game camera?  Other suggestions?  If squirrels how do we keep them out out?

Thanks

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: How to determine what is eating the fruit on my trees?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 08:56:12 AM »
  A game camera is probably your easiest method as you don't live on the property. You did say nothing was left behind so I first suspect some one is the problem as animals don't pick up behind themselves.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 05:17:22 PM »
  A game camera is probably your easiest method as you don't live on the property. You did say nothing was left behind so I first suspect some one is the problem as animals don't pick up behind themselves.

Yeah, I was gonna say I the same thing. Even though you're there more than once a week, that's still plenty of time for people to come by and clean it out when you're not there.

Offline TxMom

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 09:47:17 PM »
People were a thought, but the apples were very green, long ways from ripe and some of the fruit is quite high and you'd need a ladder or something. Doesn't make sense for a person to pick every single piece of unripe fruit. 

Several local people are betting squirrels but I would expect them to leave something behind. 

Game camera would pick up people too as long as they don't pick up the camera.

Offline TxMom

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 12:30:14 AM »
Any good recommendations  on a game camera?

Offline Redman

• Survivor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 09:09:16 AM »
No camera recommendations but this is the second time I heard of this happening. In totally different areas. I am in the metropolitan Houston area. Next door neighbor has a pear tree and pecan tree. You would expect squirrels going after the pecans and they do. One day he asked me if I had seen anyone getting his pears. I hadn't and it wasn't me because I didn't know he had a pear tree, too much other stuff around. There are a lot of squirrels in the area. I have seen squirrels getting pecans off the ground and carrying them off and burying them but have never seen one munching on a pear.
There's no such thing as spare change, free lunch or too much horsepower. ~ anonymous

Ain't no such thing as free shipping either ~ Redman

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 11:04:54 AM »
I often see squirrels biteing fruit to 'taste' it yet they do not strip a tree and leave no evidence.

Get a camera with a locked case and secure cable or chain.
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?