Author Topic: What did you do today to prep...  (Read 4959302 times)

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
Re: What did you do today to prep...
« Reply #24840 on: December 24, 2017, 02:57:30 AM »
That's pretty much what I get. Steady jiggle and release and maybe 15 minutes before end of time it may start that dancing twirling thing. Medium fire on the big burner NG stove.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
« Reply #24841 on: December 27, 2017, 04:07:44 AM »
Well it was a nice family survival Christmas....ballistic plates, holsters, mags, mag carriers, camo, knives, ammo, books...all the good stuff exchanged in gifts. Plus I took advantage of the srvv.store having a discount till Dec30 and ordered a bunch of items there. Now back to writing my dissertation before the end of January, then back to life again.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24842 on: December 27, 2017, 10:09:34 AM »
Well it was a nice family survival Christmas....ballistic plates, holsters, mags, mag carriers, camo, knives, ammo, books...all the good stuff exchanged in gifts. Plus I took advantage of the srvv.store having a discount till Dec30 and ordered a bunch of items there. Now back to writing my dissertation before the end of January, then back to life again.

8) 8) Sounds like a useful, productive Christmas.

We've set a goal of trying to can something about once a week.
Either potatoes, pork, or some kind of combinations that we can pull out and heat up. A meal in a jar.
We barely got our 2 pigs shoved/poured into the deep freeze.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #24843 on: December 27, 2017, 10:58:25 AM »
  As sung to The 12 Days of Christmas

12 buckshot rounds
11 Magpul magazines
10 boxes of 223
9  smoke grenades
8  MRE's
7  waterproof matches
6  bayonets
5  lithium ion batteries
4  Ham radios
3  ballistic plates
2  fire steels
and a p38 can opener

You know you will have this 'stuck' in your head for some time. 8)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #24844 on: December 27, 2017, 11:32:43 AM »
Four brand new tires for my truck, as metal was showing on the front ones. I feel so much safer now.

Cedar

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24845 on: December 27, 2017, 01:18:18 PM »
  As sung to The 12 Days of Christmas

12 buckshot rounds
11 Magpul magazines
10 boxes of 223
9  smoke grenades
8  MRE's
7  waterproof matches
6  bayonets
5  lithium ion batteries
4  Ham radios
3  ballistic plates
2  fire steels
and a p38 can opener

You know you will have this 'stuck' in your head for some time. 8)

:spit:

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #24846 on: December 28, 2017, 06:10:13 PM »
Plans got delayed due to a small drip..but this afternoon I got a cookie sheet, a baking dish (with lid) for my food challenge. One of the projects on my list, building framed spacers for my bee nucs for feeding them got accomplished today, since the recent cold weather makes me worried about them. Fed them fondant and pollen patties. All 3 nucs look great.

One of my friends who has really helped me over the last year may be losing his home due to an on the job injury that his employer is refusing. So we made plans for him possibly living on my land in a travel trailer, or yurt, or converted silo.or something. We will work it out, but he will be fed and dry.

My new handheld baofeng arrived, to replace my destroyed one.

Cedar

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24847 on: January 01, 2018, 04:36:04 PM »
Pantry : Rotated out Milkman Dried milk by making hot chocolate mixes, I gave away 3 jars for Christmas that used the last of it. received order of a new box of 12. Seems to have  2 year best buy lifespan. We put in 1T cocoa powder and 2T sugar for each 1 cup of milk, so that means 1/4c cocoa powder and 1/2 cup sugar for each 1 quart pouch of dried milk, because we were giving it away that is what most will like. For me, I would up the cocoa powder and use up to one half less sugar, I dont like much sugar.

Skill practice with gifts : I made 7 pairs of PJ bottoms in December, and my daughter and I made a batch of soap last month, for gifts. We also have some soap left for our households use. I also gave away some canned Dilly Beans and Prickly Pear jelly, and a jar of dried persimmon that I dehydrated just in time.

Skill encouragement: Has paid off, my 2 daughters and my (effective)DIL all made some homemade gifts. Eldest dd knitted 2 teapot cozies ( 1 was for me..) and a french press cozy, and canned corn relish, applesauce and cranberry conserve from locally grown produce. DIL knitted 3 hats ( 1 for me, very warm) these were simple k2,p2 rib, knit flat, sewed seam and gathered top, cute hats. Youngest dd did all homemade and zero bought, the soaps with me, then after finals: she cleaned out my freezer and canned blueberry syrup and chocolate cherry Jam ( new Ball canning book recipes, this is a very good jam); she made her dad a pair of PJ bottoms from an excess flannel sheet; she made handwarmers sets for 6 that own microwaves and like to take walks ( fabric squares filled with flax seeds that go in pockets after being microwaved); and she sewed up a pair of slippers for me from a felted wool sweater.

Photo "backups" : I spent most of my time doing this, and I now have hardcopies of best photos for 4 of us, I gave all 3 kids a photo album of childhood/family pictures, each is different but alot are also repeats in each. They realy, realy liked these. And, I am no longer worried about a fire or hardrive crash, etc... losing photos, these are all in different locations too. Photos were sourced from my current computer, hardrive from previous computer, a few closet boxes of old prints and some taken off of facebook.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24848 on: January 01, 2018, 05:19:41 PM »
Today I set up a portable antenna in the yard to listen and talk on the HF Ham bands, making several contacts on 40 and 20 meters. I also made use of an antenna analyzer to trouble shoot some difficulties with tuning and in the process discovered some loose coax cable connections that I will need to fix. It was the first time on the air in the past few months, after my main antenna came down for roof renovations.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24849 on: January 02, 2018, 01:16:25 AM »
during the holidays i was fighting a battle making (hacking) my own programming cable for my Baofeng -3.
Found it very disappointing in handling the memory channels etc.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24850 on: January 02, 2018, 10:14:57 AM »
Cleaning in the storeroom

Offline Packerfan78

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24851 on: January 05, 2018, 12:06:28 AM »
I bought more chickens to add to my small flock. My kids planted their own little garden. We cheated and bought a series of vegetables that were already grown. Lol.  I spoke to some elders in my community about how they lived without electricity, running water and sewage. They surprisingly came from a prep meeting about bringing back the old military barracks for long term blackouts. I added a battery to my battery bank powered by solar. I live in phoenix arizona and i am concerned about finding a solution for drinking water if the shtf. I have a canal running through my property but would someday like a well. I have a couple life straw water bottles but cant imagine that being a very good solution.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24852 on: January 05, 2018, 06:48:10 AM »
  I gifted my student and antenna assistant Jeff with an XANTREX ,industrial 1600 watt,inverter for his portable blackout solution.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24853 on: January 05, 2018, 08:17:34 AM »
Added some items to the storeroom. We do this everytime we buy supplies

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24854 on: January 05, 2018, 10:51:52 AM »
Very long walk (long for me, my dd was fine) with elevation gain (Pinnacles National Park) , and I survived, sore but not much brain fog from it. Might be a sign I can up my normal walks. Was a beautiful drive thru rural California, too. We were extremely lucky and passed within 10ft of 3 California Condors sitting on a boulder at the peaks. Everyone was ushered back t about 20 ft to sit and look for a bit. They are making a comeback.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24855 on: January 05, 2018, 07:04:56 PM »
Wife is dehydrating the balance of the Leek we picked up on closeout yesterday. She made potato soup and used leek  instead of onions. Yum.
Hopefully we'll have a couple of quarts to vacuum pack

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #24856 on: January 07, 2018, 03:22:21 AM »
Received a #10 can of Augason Farms Blueberry Pancake mix I had ordered for no good reason. It will get added to the storeroom.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24857 on: January 07, 2018, 10:06:58 AM »
Received a #10 can of Augason Farms Blueberry Pancake mix I had ordered for no good reason. It will get added to the storeroom.

8)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24858 on: January 07, 2018, 11:16:26 AM »

I mix it and cook it in the waffle maker and top it with a bit of whipped cream,some re constituted honey powder and a few reconstituted freeze dried strawberries ...just the thing for most any time meal.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24859 on: January 07, 2018, 02:20:29 PM »
A little irritated that my lathe isn't running, would have been great as it is 28 degrees and sunny. What I call a beautiful winter day. Instead I changed the oil in the Mrs.'s car and with the free time this afternoon I'm making the next batch of soap for spring. Tonight we will go through the seed catalogs that have been arriving and plan the garden. I'm excited to get into some cold hardy blackberries (most only go to zone 5) because the Mrs. loves them.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24860 on: January 07, 2018, 04:05:40 PM »
Finally got a permanent switch box and cord on the Country Mill grinder. I self motored it last year, and just kept picking up the wrong conduit box for the cover I had.  :facepalm:
I got the correct box and I kept using it as it was.  :wtf:

I was shop vac'in (is that a word? ;D) my lastest flour grinding mess and decided to stop and finish the darn thing.
Wiring is all enclosed now, and has a 6' cord instead of a 20' cord on it.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #24861 on: January 07, 2018, 05:36:36 PM »
I mix it and cook it in the waffle maker and top it with a bit of whipped cream,some re constituted honey powder and a few reconstituted freeze dried strawberries ...just the thing for most any time meal.

Good to know. Wife wants blueberry waffles. :thumbs up:

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Almost Hoarder
« Reply #24862 on: January 07, 2018, 05:40:31 PM »

I got the correct box and I kept using it as it was.  :wtf:

:impatient: Well it's about time you got it fixed. How many years has it been?  :rofl:

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24863 on: January 07, 2018, 05:59:00 PM »
:impatient: Well it's about time you got it fixed. How many years has it been?  :rofl:

Uuummmm....I'm not telling....

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #24864 on: January 07, 2018, 06:16:09 PM »
  • Got 16x32' hoophouse frame up, and leveled. Lower side boards put on.

• Got a truckload of oak logs for mushroom production

• was finally able to get help, and moved three donated sliding glass doors to the "community garden" I took over since no one has used it in seven years

Cedar

Offline Billie D

• Prepper
« Reply #24865 on: January 09, 2018, 09:13:49 AM »
This past weekend the fiancé and I did our first weekend of true search and rescue training.

I hurt in ways I haven't hurt in YEARS!
But! We all learned a ton of great information, learned that we can continue to push on when you think you are done, learned an incredible amount about navigation (compass and topographic maps), and quite a bit of medical knowledge as well.

I pushed through fears I've always had, and made it through what they say is the hardest weekend of training we will have.
And... had fun, too!

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24866 on: January 09, 2018, 09:24:30 AM »
Sort out and prepare mason jars. Need to get ready to can potatoes.
Have some other friends interesting in the canning, so need to plan a time so they can come watch/help.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #24867 on: January 09, 2018, 12:51:38 PM »
Got a new daily driver. :)

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #24868 on: January 09, 2018, 09:34:53 PM »
Pantry stockng: Picked up monthly bulk order, including bulk box of peanuts, I have decided I should make my own peanut butter since I have been eating alot of it, Split the 30lb box with 2 others, the first 10 lbs weighed out to other family this morning. Cutting open that vacume sealed bag of roasted peanuts sure smelled fresh and amazing.

Communication: Have been testing out at home the used iphone 4 I bought ($25) to use for away from home communication. Once I remembered to switch it to airplane mode, the battery seems to be lasting fine. It is set up to connect to facebook and one of my email accounts right now. Camera works. I still need to put my other account on it and dig up my magic jack account info and test it out for VOIP.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #24869 on: January 11, 2018, 04:16:46 PM »
I had a few categories of canned goods in the storeroom that were getting close to half gone, so did some shopping to start filling the gaps.

Had used up a quart jar of dehydrated peppers & onions, so also purchased 4 more bags of frozen sweet peppers to dehydrate.