Author Topic: what is your favorite knife  (Read 77692 times)

Offline phobos

• Prepper
what is your favorite knife
« on: May 21, 2011, 05:51:51 PM »
What is you favorite knife? Both fixed blade and pocket.  And if you could have any knife, regardless of money, what you have.

My pocket knife is a Gerber Fast Draw. I Don't have a fixed blade yet (hoping this will help me choose). Some day I hope to one a Tom Brown Tracker

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: what is your favorite knife
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 06:27:05 PM »
For fixed blade that is used - Cold Steel Spike - around the neck. 
For folder that is used - Swiss army knife - Pioneer

Have but don't use
Folder - gerber applegate combat folder- too big to carry
Fixed - Cold Steel Kukri Machete - part of my camping bug out hardware

Utility knife: Superknife - 2nd version.  Best razor blade knife for heavy duty use.  To large for many, but folks at work don't get bent out of shape because I have it.

Sort of want to get one day - good style quality Kukri - quality every day jungle use versus looking pretty.

Offline incendiary_dan

• Prepper
    • Twenty-nine Thousand Acorns
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 06:46:03 PM »
I'm really loving my Mora Clippers.  Affordable little knives that can hold a good edge and just the right size for most of my tasks.

I also usually carry my Cold Steel Kukri with me, though I wish the spine was a bit thicker.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 07:11:34 PM »
My favorite knife is my K-Bar...used to have a folder from Al-Mar Knives but did a very dumb thing. After repairing some lights on the trailer I was towing, put my tools away but left the knife sitting on the deck and drove off. :-[

Like I said, dumb,dumb,dumb

Offline VeggieDog

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 10:17:32 PM »
I have a small Leatherman knife I bought at their warehouse sale.  I carry it on my belt and use it for everything.

Offline SteveandTracyinKY

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Survival Chef
    • The Hen House
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 10:23:54 PM »
Cold Steel Voyager

Cold Steel Hunter

Offline Citizen Zero

• Senior Survivalist
  • Rural Dweller
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 10:32:06 PM »
Leatherman Wave - Carry always
SOG Trident - Carry always
SOG Flash II - Carry when I am not carrying the Trident

SOG Tigershark - Camping/Hunting
Cold Steel Master Hunter - Camping/Hunting

Not all of them, just my favorites  ;)

Offline Bubafat

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2011, 10:35:55 PM »
Kershaw leek

Offline sjkdet

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 02:44:25 PM »
My EDC= Cold Steel Lawman
My BOB= 6in Benchmade

Offline Andy in NH

• Senior Survivalist
  • Ex injuria jus non oritur
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 03:54:09 PM »
EDC:
Benchmade 550 Griptilian
Shivworks Clinch Pick
Camillus Cuda Arclite
SAK - Huntsman  (not pictured)

In the woods:
Corona Razor Tooth
Fiskars Hatchet
SOG Government Agent

Offline grizz2225

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 04:16:37 PM »
Ontario rat 1--every single day
Gerber shortcut--every single day
Gerber multitool--hunting tool
Ontario rat 7--every day in the woods
Some cheap non heat treated machete--every day in the woods if I'm going somewhere new

Offline TexGuy

• Sometimes posts while drunk.
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 05:13:29 PM »
I always carry a 4 1/4 inch trapper style pocket knife. The regular looking blade is used for everything but I reserve the back blade for cleaning fish and game.

I have tons of cheapo fixed blades, none are a favorite nor do I use them very much.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 06:18:06 PM »
My favorite Fixed blade is either my Järvenpää Aito Puukko or My SOG Seal Pup Elite.

My favorite chopper is my Becker BK 1 Brute.

My favorite folder is my Leatherman Charge Ti.

Offline BetaMike

• Survivor
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 09:59:29 PM »
My favorite folders are:

1. Wenger Safari (not made anymore)
2. Leatherman Wave

Fixed:

1. SOG Gov-Tac

OldManSchmidt

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 07:13:21 AM »
Standard EDC:
Leatherman wave on the belt.
Uncle Henry 3 blade folder in the pocket.
Gerber Guardian in the boot opposite leg from my BUG (back up gun).
WWI era bayonet (1903 Springfield I think) more like a short sword behind the truck seat doing machete duty.
Eastwing 1/2 bit camp axe behind the truck seat.  Not a knife but an edged tool I rely on.

That about does it for me.  There are other knives I use and/or carry occasionally (some of my own manufacture), but these are my go to, EDC pieces.

Offline BeachPete

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2011, 08:07:12 AM »
I'm a big fan of the Kershaw Black Leek.  Thin enough that I use it as my money clip and holds a great edge. 

I've been also been carrying a CRKT M16 Spear Point, which is nice, but not as refined as the Kershaw.

Offline Doug

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2011, 10:06:11 AM »
I have a number of knives but only collect them for their utility/functional use. I have a serrated folder in my pocket but I'm not a big fan of them. I use it mostly as a saw to cut "V" notching is bow-drill fire boards. Serrations aren't that practical for carving.

Two basic features I look for in a knife is the handle grip material  and a hilt. The purpose of the hilt is to keep your hands from slipping up onto the blade when they are wet or bloody from field dressing an animal (to name one use). Hilts were put on knives to prevent combat soldiers' hands from sliding up onto the blade from hitting something hard...like bone. 

My favorite fix blade is The Starnater Reliant Woodsman's Knife http://www.practicalprimitive.com/srwk.html The top of the blade is a 1/4" for the purpose of splitting wood. When the blade gets deep enough into the wood the 1/4" thickness acts as a wedge to keep splitting the wood without the cutting edge touch engaging the wood anymore. Helps save the edge's sharpness. If you look closely the cutting edge isn't flat but has a slight curve. That curve is there to make skinning and carving more efficient. I don't really like the sheath but that's my preference. I have a friend who makes sheath and had him make me a different one. All in all an excellent wilderness knife. 

I bought a Tom Brown Tracker knife and never use it. It's too heavy and tries to do too many different things making it not very good at anyone of them. The serrations on top of the blade are for notching dead-fall traps. It is not there to saw wood. The blade is too thick (1/4")  to act as a wood saw. The cutting get gummed up between the teeth.

The Tom Brown series that I do like is his Scout knife http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L-d9LXZmsg with a Hedge Hog Leartherworks' sheath http://www.hedgehogleatherworks.com/View-All-Leather-Sheaths-s/128.htm It's a small handy fix-blade knife. Hedge Hog makes some nice survival sheaths.

You guys that have a Becker or K-Bar, Hedge Hogs make a survial sheath for those knives. The sheaths are designed to carry the knife horizontally across the lower back in the scout positionhttp://www.hedgehogleatherworks.com/View-All-Leather-Sheaths-s/128.htm (they aren't inexpensiveness, either)

In a folder I'm partial to the Emerson Wave knives. These knives are for the self defense market but he has some models that'll double for a survival market too.

These knives have a hook on top of the blade that you use to drag the blade against the back of you pant's pocket when drawing the knife. The feature  rapidly deploys the blade. Video demo: http://www.emersonknives.com/videos/CommanderOpen.MPG

I have a commander from when I was studying CQC knife self defense. Emerson's knives are lightweight with strong titanium plates inside the handle for strength. They aren't cheap folders
http://www.emersonknives.com/ekTheKnives_Tact.php

For survival and every day (with self defense as backup) these days I'd go with something like the EndeavorSF or CQC8. The CQC8 has a nice curve to it for skinning and carving plus it has something of a hilt built into the handle.
http://www.emersonknives.com/ekC8W.php

I'm kind of interested in a Busse Knife with it's INFI metal http://www.bussecombat.com/infi/index.shtml but I can't see justify that much extra expense. I'll pay upwards of ~$200 for a good knife but that's about it.

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 05:11:53 PM »
I used to carry a Buck 110 folder every day, but switched to a Kershaw Ken Onion, 1/2 serated tanto unless it's hunting season, then I'm back to the 110.
 My favotite fixed blade is an old Rat 5 with green micarta scales, unless it's hunting season, then I carry a nessmuk that was made for me by a friend.

SmartLikeTruck

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 06:52:39 PM »
Spiderco Endura 1 - EDC
SOG Sealpup 1 or Frosts Mora for a beltknife in the bush

Offline Silver surfer

• Prepper
  • Never underestimate the speed and power of stupid
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2011, 04:53:05 PM »
What is you favorite knife? Both fixed blade and pocket.  And if you could have any knife, regardless of money, what you have.

My pocket knife is a Gerber Fast Draw. I Don't have a fixed blade yet (hoping this will help me choose). Some day I hope to one a Tom Brown Tracker

I have LOTS of knives. I am a meat cutter by trade and keep 2 huge knives at work for everyday use,but they work good as a deterrant too. My favorite knife....well really no favorite.I guess the one that is my favorite is the one that saves my butt.

Offline TheXGrasshopper

• Prepper
    • NoMoreGrasshoppers.com
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2011, 05:47:08 PM »
My favorite general purpose/bushcraft knife was crafted by a guy named James Helm over at http://helmforge.blogspot.com/2010/11/finished.html

Beautifully made and functions awesomely.  Filipino Ebony, Osage and Desert Ironwood Handle...good stuff.  Really reasonably priced for a custom made knife and James has outstanding customer service. 

Offline ZenGunFighter

• BANNED.
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Banned
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 05:54:37 PM »
EDC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gy5R8XjM0M

And the Leatherman Surge

Big knife, Cold Steel Recon Scout

pocket knife, SAK Farmer

Offline mash

• Dedicated Contributor
  • it's spork-tastic!
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 03:18:50 AM »
I feel naked without my Leatherman wave on my belt. Use it all the time.

And my favorite knife is a no-name buck knife with a cheap rubberized handle. I love it because it used to be my Grandpa's.

SmartLikeTruck

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011, 12:52:50 PM »
Sadly I broke my Spiderco Endura 1 yesterday, it was my own fault, I batoned it to split a couple of pieces of kindling for a campfire.
I'm surprised at just how small the tang is on this blade just before the hinge. So after close to 8 years in my pocket I am now in need of a more robust replacement folder for EDC.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 07:58:52 PM »
Folder: CS Ti-Lite.  Convient opening, useful spear point, good slicer, and frankly, I just like the style.
Fixed: Camillus pilot knife.  Earns a solid B grade in all subjects.  It's the classic "jack of all trades, master of none," so it's what I have on my belt when I don't know what the day will bring.  When it's not there, it's in my main toolbox.

Offline Count Orloff

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2011, 08:18:45 PM »
SOG Flash II for EDC. As far as a fixed blade, you can't go wrong with a Ka-bar.

Offline vagabond1101

• Prepper
  • There are those who call me TIM!
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 08:47:07 PM »
I still love my K-bar it's been used and abused in a 1000 different ways.. but it's been there everytime I've ever needed it and it's the only knife I've ever carried aside from the blade on my lowe's house brand multitool.

Offline 12XLR8

• Prepper
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 01:20:44 AM »
I have a glock fixed blade and very satisfied it cheap strong and holds it edge.

Offline Clybrad

• Survivor
    • Skilled Gentlemen Podcast
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 01:46:56 PM »
I carry a gerber knife I bought at Lowes along with a multi-tool from gerber... it comes in handy helping fix lights at work.

http://www.tgscom.com/images/sharedimages/glockworld/Gerber%20Knife.jpg

http://www.armynavyshop.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/3098.jpg

Offline Sequanti

• Survivor
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2011, 07:29:33 PM »
My favorite: Victorinox Tinker (aka Boy Scout Pocket Knife).

http://www.victorinox.com/content/product_details?code=1.4603

My parents gave this to me for Christmas somewhere in the late 80's, and I had this in Boy Scouts. It has been with me most of my life. I have used every tool on it at some point. The fact that it has been lost and found makes it a bit of a talisman for me.

Like any tool there are certain things it is NOT best for and I understand its limitations, but I would but I use this more frequently than most use their "real" knives.  ;)