Author Topic: what is your favorite knife  (Read 77534 times)

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: what is your favorite knife
« Reply #60 on: August 16, 2011, 06:07:36 PM »
Oddly enough, my favorite folder is a Spyderco Byrd CaraCara2.    Nice jimping on the spine and finger choil let it handle detail work pretty precisely, the lock is as solid as the Benchmade Pika II, the deployment is lighter than said Pika, steel inserts give it strength and a nice heft, the FRN handle is insanely grippy, AND it's shaving sharp from the box (and takes a quick edge too).  And it's cheap enough I won't feel bad about using it heavily.  Looks to be, for all intents, a poor man's Endura4.

As for fixed blades, nothing wrong with the KaBar I have.  I do want to get a SOG Pentagon though, so this is subject to change.

Offline maxhedroom

• Survivor
  • We all seek direction
    • My Homestead Garden
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2011, 06:53:22 PM »
Love my EDC Kershaw Leek with speed safe, for a fixed blade I have CRKT M60, great tool!

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2011, 07:21:40 PM »
EDC - Spyderco Delica 4, full flat ground in VG10 w/ G10 scales
Hunting / hiking - Becker BK14 EsKabar
Camp / hard use - Becker BK2 Campanion

Offline nukehayes

• Prepper
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2011, 12:50:30 AM »
So many to choose from ;D  If I had to pick my favorite based off of most used, it would have to go to my CRKT Minimalist.  Extremely comfortable, lightweight, has green on the handle, easy to touch up the edge, the reasons don't seem to end.  For a folder, I like my CRKT M16-10Z tanto, again the edge is easy to sharpen, two straight lines vice a curved style.  For bushcraft work, I prefer my Gerber Freeman with Kydex sheath that I made.  I don't like taking folders into the woods with me. 
If I could have any knife right now, it would probably be a Spyderco Native plain edge.  I handled a friends and loved the ergonomics of it.  It just felt right.  I love their steel too.

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2011, 12:52:50 AM »
Love my EDC Kershaw Leek with speed safe, for a fixed blade I have CRKT M60, great tool!

Agreed, the Leek is an awesome knife. My current edc blade.

TW

Offline 8

• Prepper
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2011, 06:43:07 AM »
Best knife I have ever owned, I found in the bilge of my first ship 26 years ago... cleaned up like a champ, took an edge that would shave me and holds it forever (minus my abuses). Kershaw. I still have it, I still use it, although it is a bit heavy for EDC. I have always loved that knife.  If I can find a good EDC knife from Kershaw, I will go to them in a heartbeat, but I have to find a shop so I can see and feel, and play. An EDC is not something I want to buy online, kinda like buying a gun you have never handled, just never felt like throwing my paper away like that. Right now I have a cheapy Gerber Paraframe that seems to be doing alright, although I have only had it for about 6 months and it is already showing signs of giving up the ghost, but what do you expect for $15-20 investment? Anyone have suggestions for a good Kershaw?  Oh, and by the way, if it happened to be you that lost the knife in the bilge... tell me what ship it was, and I'll tell you ya shoulda gone bilge diving!

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2011, 10:28:10 AM »
  If I can find a good EDC knife from Kershaw, I will go to them in a heartbeat, but I have to find a shop so I can see and feel, and play. An EDC is not something I want to buy online, kinda like buying a gun you have never handled, just never felt like throwing my paper away like that. Right now I have a cheapy Gerber Paraframe that seems to be doing alright, although I have only had it for about 6 months and it is already showing signs of giving up the ghost, but what do you expect for $15-20 investment? Anyone have suggestions for a good Kershaw? 

8, four posts above yours was a recommendation for a Kershaw Ken Onion Leek. It is my edc as well. Great knife.

TW

Offline 8

• Prepper
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2011, 07:09:14 PM »
8, four posts above yours was a recommendation for a Kershaw Ken Onion Leek. It is my edc as well. Great knife.

TW

Didn't know it was Kershaw, will look into it, Thanks TW!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2011, 08:04:30 PM »
The Leek is also my EDC knife. I use the heck out of it and it's a fantastic knife. :)

Offline jericanman

• Prepper
  • dorset rocks
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2011, 08:16:26 AM »
my fav edc knife is my gerber artifact. takes exchangeable surgeon blades and double as a nice pry bar. though when you get them you have to remove the ball in the lock mechanism as it gets stuck.

and my mini 2.5" blade non locking rough rider midnight swirl. cheap as chips and holds an edge nice.  has to be non locking and under 3" over here in the UK witch is a bummer.

i have lots of outher nice knifes but they only go out of the house if camping and fishing and the like. with out reasonable cause they are illegal to carry around.

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2011, 09:48:28 PM »
My favorite right now is my Buck Vantage - couldn't be happier with it so far.  Bought it for a EDC and it fits real deep into the pocket due to the position of the pocketclip. It is made in the USA and arrived sharp enough to shave off some of my arm-hairs! Sweet.

Offline Remman

• Survivor
  • Forty Deuce
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2011, 11:58:10 PM »
Benchmade Mini Griptillian

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Mr. C ..... Das Ugly Mutt
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2011, 02:45:39 AM »
Has to be my 40+ year old Buck 110

Its been my EDC for a long time.

I've roughed up one side so I can open it one handed.

I also had my wife sew a separate pocket for it so it stays handy.

I have other knives, but this is my oldest best friend.

Steve

Offline Wingman115

• Survivor
    • Wingman115 YouTube Channel
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2011, 05:04:21 PM »
Some cool knive's being shown here! I'm sporting a Esee RC-4 That's my new go to knife.

Offline GODSPEED

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #74 on: October 11, 2011, 10:41:49 PM »
Steve Cover,  edc-pants pockets? :o  Now that's cool!

My favorite knife is a  Graham Razel (Ringed), I have one of the "economic" Midtech ringed razels that were made and love it.  I'm a sucker for ringed knives, like Dan Kosters "Survivor".

Razel:

Survivor:

Offline templar223

• Survivor
    • GSL Defense Training
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2011, 05:45:40 PM »
What is you favorite knife? Both fixed blade and pocket.  And if you could have any knife, regardless of money, what you have.

My pocket knife is a Gerber Fast Draw. I Don't have a fixed blade yet (hoping this will help me choose). Some day I hope to one a Tom Brown Tracker

Favorite?  Lone Wolf Harsey T3.  Regardless of money, it's my favorite.

Fixed blade:  Easy.  Karambit.

And yes, I have the training to use either.

John

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2011, 08:12:44 PM »
Hard to choose...

EDC - Lakota Lil Hawk

Fixed Blade - either Ka Bar (full size) or Ontario Afghan... the Afghan is a quarter inch thick steel, and it just feels good in my hand.

Offline Big Halfbreed

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2012, 09:02:33 PM »
Buck #119
Buck # 112
Kukri (my USMC cousin brought me from overseas)

Offline jericanman

• Prepper
  • dorset rocks
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2012, 01:30:28 PM »
right now its my cheap marlin spike roughrider folder

uk legal

spike comes in handy with all my paracord projects for undoing knots, and for geocaching (when trying to remove logs from micro caches)

kife is a good allrounder for day to day stuff,

and at £14 the workmanship is great.

roughrider knifes are the best of the low end  price pocket kifes

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2012, 10:41:35 PM »
EDC it is definitely a Spyderco Delica. Current is a gen 4, G10/VG10 FFG.

Picked up a KaBar BK&T BK5 for Xmas, so far it is pretty badass and moving up the list quickly. Very quick in the hand and a strong slicer.

Offline frankdcannon

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2012, 06:57:39 PM »
In all honesty my favorites fixed blade knife is a winchester that I picked up from Walmart years ago. The blade is surgical stainless steel and really holds its edge very well! What I thought was a cheap sheath has actually turned out to be very durable! I cant say thay I have a favorite folding knife, I have  number of non descript small folding knives. I would love to have a basic ka-bar usmc knife.

Offline ADKwarrior

• Survivor
  • MSB Member Omegaburn
« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2012, 02:19:51 PM »
i own around 50 or so knives/bayonets and i guess i can only really judge their favoritism based on how often i find them to be the best tool for the job as i do have several that are nice to look at but worthless for real world usage.

Honestly a Mora Classic #2 is the knife i use for 85% of everything i do.  Pocket knife wise, aside form my Ontario RAT folder, i have a 1950s boyscout knife that is amazing for any small tasks.

My BHK Bushcrafter custom from Canteenshop is my go-to bushknife if backpacking or hiking/gathering on an everyday basis.  Although i never head into the bush no matter what I'm carrying without a Mora in my gear or pack.

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2012, 08:47:28 PM »
Still looking for one. LOL.

I used my Cold Steel SRK for camping, hunting, but it felt too long for skinning my deer getting into tighter areas.

My wife bought a cheap fixed blade for under $15 bucks and it keeps an edge better and handles better than my Cold Steel.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2012, 08:55:04 PM »
Had a gun show here recently. Interesting stuff but mostly hunting rifles however I did acquire a Cold Steel "bushman". I've wanted one for a long time but just never got around to it. Been packing it around for about two weeks. Very simple design and I love simplicity.

Offline Preppin2

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2012, 06:58:11 PM »
K Bar BK 2!! and a good ol' Swiss Army!

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2012, 07:37:21 PM »
My buck knife 119. I bought it in 1981. Went camping with me while I was in scouts and on part of the Appalachian trail.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2012, 09:15:01 PM »
EDC: Swiss Army Knife - the basic model, or GI Camillus pocket knife.

Special Occasions - walks in the woods, picnics, etc.: Gerber Easy Out folder. 3 1/2" or so blade, one hand opening.

Camping and heavier jobs: Ontario Pilot's Knife, GI Issue. 5" blade, @ 1/8-3/16 in. thick, "saw" back, comfortable grip with functional guard. Very safe metal backed sheath.

Extra Heavy stuff: Mauser Mod. 1908 Argentinian bayonet - 10" Solingen steel that cost me $1/inch.

soupbone

Offline totalredundancy

• Prepper
  • EVERYBODY PANIC
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2012, 07:31:40 AM »
I've got a Ka-Bar BK-2, and I love the damn thing.  I originally bought it on a bit of a whim before I got into the survival stuff, and it's been one of my favorite pieces of gear.  Not the best carry knife, but if you find yourself in the woods for any reason, the thing is a monster.

Offline cranston

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2012, 07:53:56 AM »
Wow.  That's like asking which is my favorite Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader.  Depends on who's asking and where I am. ;)

The one that's on me the most is a kershaw whirlwind. Fast opening, sharp, and heavy enough for most jobs, from dressing a deer to peeling a potato. 

The one I always want strapped to my three day bag is a cold steel recon tanto- big heavy blade suitable for chopping and so sharp I'm kind of scared of it.

The one I wear when I'm working around the garden is a plain jane mora sheath knife in a green plastic sheath.  So tough and inexpensive everyone ought to have at least one.  Otherwise it's strapped to my go bag.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2012, 02:26:36 PM »
EDC Folder is either a Spyderco Manix 2 or Benchmade 530. Depending on how dressed up I am.  The 530 is perfect for dress pants and such.  Just got the Manix 2 XL.  Love it!!  Just a little too big to EDC.  Probably carry it when going uber-casual or outdoorsy.

Favorite Fixed blade has to be my ESEE 4.  A 6 is in the my future though.

Money-not-a-consideration knife...Zero Tolerance 777.