Author Topic: Reccomend a compound bow?  (Read 4720 times)

Offline jlknauff

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • How To Survive It
Reccomend a compound bow?
« on: December 10, 2012, 08:58:37 AM »
I'm looking for a good compound bow at a reasonable price. I've seen them range from a little over $100 up to over $600 (and there are probably more on either side of that price range).

Based on my knowledge of firearms, I know the price is not always an indication of the quality, so I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

I don't want to spend a ton, since I have to build up my skills to the point where the quality makes a difference (at first, I will shoot just as poorly with an expensive bow as an expensive one). Also, if frame/size makes a difference, I'm 6'2" and 160lps.

Thanks in advance!

nelson96

Re: Reccomend a compound bow?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 09:56:40 AM »
I would suggest going to a bow shop that sells new and used bows.  When I first got in to bow hunting I wanted to be sure it was something that I liked.  The bow shop owner offered me a decent used bow for $100 and let me use it an entire season, including the ability to bring it back and put the full price I paid toward a new bow.  This saves you money and gives you the time to learn what you like or would like.

Price on compounds do range quite a bit.  A big part of that will be the differences in the gadgetry and their perceived benefits.  However, important differences will include weight, overall length, and arrow speed.  Make friends at a couple local bow shops that have a lot of brands and models to choose from.

By the way, you'll learn over time that buying the bow is the least expensive part in actually using a bow.

Good luck.

Offline cep89

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 10:30:43 AM »
I would also recommend a used bow to start.  I got into it about 4 months ago and that is what I did.  I found that there is so much info to learn.  A website called huntersfriend.com has a great section for learning.  They have a bow package with a Diamond infinite edge that I want to get that is 480.00.  A compound bow has to be sized to you, so learning about it before buying helps you get a good used bow that fits you.  Once you get a bow try to shoot at least a dozen arrows a day.

Offline bbobwat33

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 02:27:35 PM »
man, modern bow technology has advanced so much that you can get a great shooting bow for not too much money. Bear makes alot of nice bows. Diamond which made by Bowtech i believe has some good stuff on the low end. I shoot a Bear but i've always been impressed with Martin bows. there's something about the way they feel that i like. can't put my finger on it though. you can get a nice bow from any of these manufacturer's in the 400 dollar range completely setup. just need some arrows and a target. you can take a  couple of burlap sacks and stuff them full of old clothes (and i mean stuff it tight), sow up the end with fishing line or something and that makes a great target. stops arrows well. just paint bull's eye or whatever on there.

Online David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 07:02:05 AM »
I started at Cabela's. They let me try out a bunch and pick the one that worked for me. Find a shop that will let you try them out and be honest about your price point and you should find one that feels better than the others. Most companies have a budget bow ready to go. Perfect for a new shooter. I've never bought a used bow, so I can't comment on that. I will add that having a very good release that you can handle well is incredibly important, don't skimp there.

Trying a few bows will dial in your ideal draw weight, draw length, cam style (how radical), and overall feel. There's no other way to know what will work for you.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Mr. C ..... Das Ugly Mutt
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 04:56:56 PM »
+1 on getting an inexpensive used bow to start.

Also, since you are trying to develop proper technique you don't need a Rino-Stopper for a first bow.
Get a reasonably light draw bow to learn on.  Your archery muscles need to get into shape, and you don't need to be fighting draw weight after the first five or six arrows of a practice session.
Once you have your technique down and are in shape, your "Real" bow weight can be had.
Also, by then, you will have enough experience to know what you want and don't want in a bow.

Of course, join a club if possible.
Having experienced archers watch you shoot and make suggestions is invaluable.
When you are ready to upgrade, most club members will let you try their "Pet" bows.

When you do buy, go back to the used bow market.
There are hundreds of like new bows for sale from people who bought too much bow to learn on, got frustrated, and quit.

Start light, Learn well, Then get the right bow.

Always match good quality arrows to your bow.

Steve
FOR THOSE WHO HAVE FOUGHT FOR IT
FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR
THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW

Offline PBPreppers

• Prepper
  • Prepping for something .....
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 01:38:29 PM »
Awesome advise, am looking to get into Archery both as a Hobby & Prep :D

Thanks all :D looking on FleaBay now :D
2000002013AD

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 08:01:13 PM »
Having started with a cheap used bow and upgrading last year - a modern bow is so much easier to shoot, more accurate - in all much more rewarding when practicing.

Cabelas will let you shoot several so you can get a  idea of what you want.

If you buy used, take it to a shop and get it tuned / checked out. Compound bows can break explosively.

Offline Absit

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 09:41:40 PM »
The ONLY thing I want to add is something that no one told me until I derailed my first compound bow (a Bear Encounter).

If you ever want to shoot fingers, do not get one of these super fancy parallel limb bows with a short axle to axle length. 

The bow/string were undamaged and the shop took it back after some discussion.  I ended up buying a used Martin Threshold.  I still prefer my recurve..
Nemo vir est qui mundum non reddat meliorem.

Offline PBPreppers

• Prepper
  • Prepping for something .....
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 11:43:48 PM »
Getting it checked out is a good idea, I can imagine its pretty explosive with all of that force on the limbs and string.
2000002013AD

Offline MarkL99

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 12:23:11 PM »
I purchased a PSE Stinger 3G about a year ago and am very happy with it.  Reasonably price in a ready to shoot package at about $360.00.  Very smooth draw and reasonably fast.  Also use Cabela's Hunter arrows which are made for Cabela's by EASTON.  Good cheap arrows to start out with.
A Constitution of Governement once changed from Freedom can never be restored.  Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.--John Adams

Offline DDJ

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 10:21:31 AM »
AS someone going through the same thing there is a LOT of good advice here.  I too went the used bow route.  It took me 2 to get a good one.  I purchased a Bow at an auction and when I took it in to get evaluated they spotted a twist that they told me was a grave risk of explosive disassembly.  I then went to a pawn shop and purchased a Mathews.  I like the way it feels and shoots.  I got lucky it fit me as it was set up.  I have had it restrung last year and we are ready for deer season.  I also agree on the low end arrows, but a word of caution do not go to the bottom of the price point.  The guy next door to me just had one fail.  His string literally cut the arrow in half lengthwise.  It looked like a Robin Hood but the string did it.  His arrows are also the ones with crimped on tips and they were coming off on his second trip to the range.

I have only lost a few of the $6.00 Walmart arrows to failure.  I will not say how many are in the woods behind the targets at the range though.

Good luck.

Offline slidin

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 09:10:21 AM »
I had not shot a bow since I was a boyscout 30 years ago. I was interested in getting into hunting for my 13 skills. I went to Cabellas and picked up a Diamond infinity. The thing is all ready to go to start your practice. It sets from 5-70lbs. I started at 50lbs thru the summer and worked to 60lbs. I got two deer tags filled with the bow having never hunted in my life a few weeks ago.
The bow is one of the lower cost models and allows all the adjustments plus comes mostly equipped. I will say if you are planning on hunting with it you probably will want to change the sight but that's mainly for low light situations. Im shooting kill zone shots at 40yrds all day with the thing.
If you dont know about bows make sure you go to a shop that will fit you for the bow. Specifically, the pull length, poundage and arrows. Good shooting.